House Big Bang Challenge
|Name:||The House, MD Big Bang Challenge|
|Date(s):||2007 - 2010|
|Founder:||Zulu and thedeadparrot|
|Associated Community:||house_bigbang on LiveJournal|
house_bigbang on DreamWidth
housebigbangers (support community)
|URL:||House M.D. Big Bang Challenge on AO3|
House Big Bang Challenge Archive (Wayback Machine copy)
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
House Big Bang was a House, M.D. fandom challenge in the Big Bang style, started up by Zulu and thedeadparrot in 2007. They were influenced most directly by the Heroes Big Boom Challenge. House fandom produces fewer longer fics on average than most other fandoms, and this was also an incentive. The details of the challenge vary with each iteration, but so far, it has taken place about once per year and has its participants write fic with at least 20,000 words. After the writers turn in their fic, artists produce either images or vids to accompany the stories.
The LiveJournal community housebigbangers was created for the writers and artists of the challenge to interact. The House Big Bang Challenge Archive was established to host the submitted fanworks but, as of January 2012, is no longer online. In 2010, an AO3 collection was created to archive submissions.
Challenge Rules for Writers
- Stories must have a minimum length of 20,000 words. There is no maximum length.
- Stories may be any genre: gen, het, boyslash, or girlslash.
- The story's central element must relate to House, MD, and its characters. Crossovers and alternate universes are permitted.
- Stories will be posted to a central site on the day the challenge goes live, with links to the summaries in this community for feedback, but afterwards may be posted to your personal journal or site.
- The stories MAY NOT be posted, in whole or in part, prior to March 30, 2008. You may, of course, share with betas, but please keep your story under wraps as much as possible, so that the artists/vidders can make their choices anonymously when the time comes.
- All stories must be betaed before final posting.
Round One (2007/2008)
Round One of the challenge followed the following timeline:
- August 25, 2007: Sign-ups began.
- September 15, 2007: Sign-ups ended, participants announced.
- February 16, 2008: Artists' and vidders' fic claims began.
- February 22, 2008: Drafts of stories due. (Original deadline was February 15.)
- February 27, 2008: Final round of fic claims.
- March 15, 2008: Final drafts of stories due.
- March 25, 2008: Artists' and vidders' submissions due.
- March 30, 2008: Archive went live.
Round One resulted in 13 stories and 29 pieces of art created:
- Break Point by Mer
- House, Wilson (Gen). "Wilson struggles to reconcile past and present in the aftermath of the Tritter investigation, while House just wants to understand." (24,097 words, R)
- Dark Water by Delphinapterus
- House/Wilson/Cuddy. "AU. Wilson has to do a freebie because of a mix up with a race horse. House is just getting back into the game and Cuddy finds both these ghosts from the past showing up at the same time. Things get complicated with two FBI agents are thrown into the mix and Chase finally gets a solo hit." (23,014 words, NC-17)
- A Distorted Genius by hwshipper
- House/Wilson. Crossover with Nero Wolfe. "He's a genius, eccentric, lazy, and has three staff to do all the work. And House is just the same. Wilson's been arrested on suspicion of murder, and only Nero Wolfe can help." (28,074 words, PG)
- Half Life by Blue
- House/Wilson, House/OFC. "The world changes forever. House and Wilson must cope." (28,820 words, R)
- how to skin your knees standing straight by Fated Addiction
- House/Cameron, Chase/Cameron. "That summer, Cameron tries to keep her choices straight. Why should she stay?" (19,923 words, R)
- In for a Pound by Dee Laundry
- House/Wilson, Sheppard/McKay, House/Wilson/Sheppard/McKay. Crossover with Stargate Atlantis. "Two days, four men, one California King mattress. Sometimes two and two can add up to something more." (23,618 words, NC-17)
- A Joy Forever by bell
- House/Wilson. "Wilson's dead, but that doesn't mean he's gone." (21,006 words, NC-17)
- My Brother's Keeper by shutterbug_12
- House, Wilson, Cuddy (Gen). "An on-the-job incident forces House to experience his life beyond the visible spectrum; Cuddy and Wilson struggle to guide him through a darkness that neither of them can see and preserve the world that House remembers." (24,531 words, R)
- The Open Road by Pun
- House/Wilson. "Wilson goes along for the ride." (25,155 words, NC-17)
- The Roots of Rhythm Remain by Sabinelagrande
- House/Wilson/Cuddy. "Greg, Lisa, James, and Evan, and how their story goes on." (19,962 words, NC-17)
- Strings by Zulu
- House/Foreman. "Because after Foreman fucks up, he might actually be teachable. Because House is the best one to knock him down and then show him what a moron he is. 'Because he could be better,' he says, and he hates that it's the truth, that he's telling it to Cuddy like it matters." (41,743 words, NC-17)
- Time Marches On by Namaste
- Gen: Team. "House once called change one of the greatest tragedies in life. His teams--the old one and the newbies--are learning this even as House himself continues to deal with things he can change, and things he cannot." (23,852 words, G)
- Your Hand in Mine by Hihoplastic
- House/Cuddy. "They can say anything to each other, now that there's no tomorrow." Highly AU. Apocalypse!fic. (29,822 words, PG)
Round Two (2008/2009)
Round Two followed the following timeline:
- August 19, 2008: Start of writers' sign-up period.
- September 1, 2008: End of writers' sign-ups; start of artist sign-ups.
- January 7, 2008: Complete draft of stories due.
- February 7, 2008: Final drafts due; artists' sign-up ended.
- February 7, 2008: Artists' fic claims begin.
- February 15, 2008: End of fic claims.
- March 15, 2008: Artists' submissions are due.
- March 25, 2008: Archive went live.
The second round produced 15 stories and 34 pieces of fanart.
- Adagio by Kimbari
- House/Cuddy. "Lisa Cuddy thought her dream of having a baby was finished. She thought her dream of a strong, loving partner would never come true. She was wrong on both counts, as well as in her assessment that Gregory House would have nothing to do with either of them." (29,612 words, NC-17)
- Air Conditioner by Alanwolfmoon
- House/Foreman. "After Head&Heart, House is physically damaged. A previously existing coworker-with-benefits relationship with Foreman is the only connection he has to rely on afterwards." (46,185 words, PG-13)
- and all our little agonies by rosenskimmer
- Gen. "When two new, unwanted patients throw his world into disarray, House questions his own medical ability. As the ketamine treatment for his thigh fails, House’s friends begin to desert him." (25,338 words, PG-13)
- Bounty Hunter Bedlam by hwshipper
- House/Wilson. Crossover with Stephanie Plum's Evanovich. "How much havoc can a crippled Princeton doctor wreak for a disaster-prone Trenton bounty hunter? Stephanie Plum meets House and Wilson in a crime caper with absconding brothers, monster trucks, and a man with sinister eyebrows." (27,093 words, PG-13)
- Deaductive Reasoning by srsly_yes
- House/Wilson. "Patients are being murdered as a serial killer stalks the halls of PPTH. House investigates. Could it be Wilson? Only his minion, House, knows he's a vampire." (26,280 words, R)
- Eucatastrophe by euclase
- Gen. "Dr. House believes there is something unusual living in Lake Carnegie. Strange events unfold as he attempts to prove his theory." (50,419 words, PG-13)
- Go Baby Go by Anna & bell
- House/Wilson. "House finds out about the woman in Wilson's life." (25,454 words, PG-13)
- In My Darkest Dreams by Roderick Thompson & Nemesishamartia
- House/Wilson. "A tour through House's mind as he deals with the psychological fallout from Wilson's actions and the events occurring throughout season four." (41,818 words, NC-17)
- Lead You Into The Night by Ticcy
- House/Cuddy. "What's the differential for a woman who says she hates her baby?" (34,735 words, PG-13)
- One and Two by bell
- Amber/House/Wilson. "Amber decides to make Wilson happy by adding House to their relationship, and realizes that by doing so, she may have subtracted herself." (31,718 words, NC-17)
- The Other Conversation by imissimissyou
- House/Cameron. "He understands her mute conversations with everyone. She is on the edge of a cliff." (19,029 words, PG-13)
- Stay Away From The Glass: Tales of Petty Crime and Self-Punishment by sodiumbisulfite
- House/Wilson, House/Gob Bluth, House/Bruce Wayne, Wilson/Joker. Crossover with Batman (Comicverse & Nolanverse) and Arrested Development. "It's a crazy world out there, and unfortunately Wilson's about to get shoved right into the middle of it." (22,335 words, NC-17)
- Woodwinds by Zulu
- House/Wilson (with Wilson/Wendy, House/Foreman). "Wilson doesn't end relationships; he launches himself headfirst into something even more disastrous instead." (39,198 words, NC-17)
- World of Weeping by Mer
- Gen. Crossover with Torchwood. "House is consulted by a secret organization led by a mysterious man who seems to know Wilson just a little bit too well for House's comfort." (25,740 words, PG-13)
- your rosary beads under the bed by Fated Addiction
- House/Cameron. "The truth is she's had the letter since June. We carry our memories in too many ways." (24,807 words, PG-13)
Round Three (2009/2010)
The third round produced 15 stories and 30 pieces of fanart.