Orion Archives: 2285-2293 The Third Mission
|Title:||Orion Archives: 2285-2293 The Third Mission|
|Series?:||yes, see below|
|Fandom:||Star Trek: TOS|
|External Links:||Orion Press flyer|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Orion Archives: 2285-2293 The Third Mission is a gen and het Star Trek: TOS anthology that reprints content published in previous Orion Press zines in particular from Orion. Some of the later issues also reprint online fanfic. The early issues are numbered, later on the titles are organized by the fictional timeframe the zine takes place in (many Orion Press zines take place in a vaguely shared universe at least as far as the basic chronology of the Trek universe is concered. Their website offers timelines and such that the zines adhere to). Issues are still being released as of 2009, and there are also re-releases of older Orion Archives issues. A full list is available at the Orion Press website.
Summary from the flyer: "These stories are set following Star Trek: The Final Frontier and through Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country. Captain James T. Kirk is in now command of the U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-A. For one last time, he and his crew are again bravely going where no man has gone before. Joining Captain Kirk are Captain Spock, Doctor McCoy, Captain Scott, Commanders Chekov and Uhura, Lieutenant Reichard, Lieutenant Indri, Lieutenant Peter Kirk, Doctor Giacomo Eletto, Nurse Marie Webb and prankster Physician’s Assistant, Harrison "Hardav" Davids."
- In Harm's Way written by D. William Roberts (The Kelvans are reinvading the galaxy, this time in full force. The Gorn soon fall prey to their voracious appetites, and Starfleet finds itself under attack with some unusual allies: the Klingons. A terrific story which has Captain James T. Kirk leading the counter-offensive as the Commander of Starfleet!)
- Free Market Incident written by d. William Roberts (During the Kelvan War, Shaun Kelsey finds another nest of Kelvan after their defeat in the war.)
- Intruder written by Jim Ausfahl (The crew of the Enterprise encounters the mother of all motherships!)
- A Bird in the Hand, A Bird in the Bush written by Joann K. Seward (Prior to the events of Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, Doctor Leonard McCoy watches as his friend and commanding officer contemplates returning to the Academy as a teacher.)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 1
- Intruder / [rep: Antares 4] post-STV; crew encounters mothership apparently engaged in biological warfare; McCoy eventually concludes that it is restocking life forms for preservation purposes - its "battle" is to seed the universe with life
- A Form of Release / [rep: Antares 6] Peter Kirk, on Tantalus Rehab colony after the events of The Dianasian Gift, is interrogated by an unseen counselor with regard to his possible parole, and is reluctant to defend himself, but slowly reveals aspects of his relationship with his uncle Jim Kirk - who, of course, turns out to be the interrogator.
- A Bird in the Hand, a Bird in the Bush / Starfleet asks Kirk to teach a seminar on the Prime Directive to the dismay of M & S - and finds a fitting metaphor in fledgling cardinals. 
Orion Archives: 2285-2293 The Third Mission 2 contains 264 and artwork by Rick Endres, Toni Hardeman, Vel Jaeger, Randall Landers, Christine Myers, Bonnie Reitz, Gennie Summers, Zaquia Tarhuntassa and Mel. White. Cover by Julie Nosal.
- Going Ashore written Rick Endres (Following the Kelvan War, the Enterprise stops at Omicron Delta V, giving Captain Kirk some quality time with one of the most important people in his life.)
- Interlude written by Joanne K. Seward (Kirk stumbles upon a love nest in the observation lounge, leading to his own tryst there...)
- An Evening With... written by Rowena Warner (Kirk and Spock appear on a holovid talkshow!)
- The Pet written by Jim Ausfahl (The Federation’s negotiations with the alien Vharang are approaching a critical point. The final step cannot move forward without Bharii Shandar’s exotic companion being found in a search that makes finding a needle in a haystack look like a pushover...)
- The Pearl written by Jim Ausfahl (Scotty’s "death" baffles the crew until they begin to solve the mystery; meanwhile, our favorite chief engineer finds himself dealing with a unique lifeform in a unique biome.)
- The Haunting written by Mary R. Schuttler (A chilling Halloween story has Kirk haunted by the death of one of his crew.)
- The Plumber's Helper written by Jim Ausfahl (En route to a plague planet, the crew of the Enterprise discover a lost NASA space station with a survivor aboard. And while adjusting to 23rd century life, the survivor turns out to be the key to the very medical mystery surrounding their mission!)
- The Hitchhiker written by Jim Ausfahl (Captain Kirk and his crew take aboard a hitchhiker, unaware of that his true nature could cost the crew their lives.)
- Revenge written by Jim Ausfahl (A Federation colony is stricken by a mysterious illness that was launched millennia ago by an ancient race seeking revenge on another race which has long since perished... Can Doctor McCoy and the medical staff of the U.S.S. Enterprise save the colony?)
- The Choice written by Jim Ausfahl (While the Enterprise command crew are on a diplomatic mission to Walven IV, a talented musician disappears, and Spock is the prime suspect!)
- Let Them Die written by Sean Corbett (Kirk and McCoy have a conversation during their shuttle ride to the Enterprise following Admiral Smillie’s briefing.)
Orion Archives: 2285-2293 The Third Mission 3 contains 308 pages and artwork by Nancy Gervais, Vel Jaeger, Randall Landers, Christine M. Myers, Bonnie Reitz and Patty Wright.
- The Dianasian Gift written by Carol Davis (During a diplomatic mission to the planet Dianas, which is near the Klingon Treaty Zone, the crew of the Enterprise discover rare and valuable malium crystals, fight renegade Klingons, encounter Koloth who is serving as the Klingon ambassador to Dianas, watch helplessly as a valued crewmember succumbs to a mysterious condition, and rejoice as Chekov falls in love. (also issued as a standalone).
- A Form of Release written by Rob Morris (In this sequel to Carol Davis’ novella, The Dianasian Gift, Peter Kirk is in the Tantalus Penal Colony where he faces some tough questions by a persistent interrogator.)
- A Form of Redemption written by Rob Morris (Recently released from Tantalus Penal Colony, Peter Kirk finds himself onboard the Enterprise and in the dog house with Captain Montgomery Scott. Is the chief engineer being unfair, or does Peter truly deserve the Scot’s outright hatred?)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 3
See reactions and reviews for The Dianasian Gift.
The Orion Archives:
Note: Though it has a different title format, Hyperion 2296-2323 may also fit into this series
- Orion Archives: 2229-2265 The Beginnings
- Orion Archives: 2266-2270 The First Mission
- Orion Archives: 2270-2272 The First Hiatus
- Orion Archives: 2272-2275 The Second Mission
- Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus
- Orion Archives: 2283-2284 Interludes
- Orion Archives: 2284-2323 Captain Sulu
- Orion Archives: 2285-2293 The Third Mission
- Orion Archives: 2292-2323 U.S.S. Chosin
- Orion Archives: 2293-2294 The Final Hiatus
- Orion Archives: 2294-2323 Chekov's Enterprise
- Orion Archives: 2294-2400 The Adventures Continue
- Orion Archives: 2295 The Sixth Fleet