Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus
|Title:||Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus|
|Series?:||yes, see below|
|Fandom:||Star Trek: TOS|
|External Links:||Orion Press flyer|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus is a gen and het Star Trek: TOS anthology that reprints content published in previous Orion Press zines in particular from Orion. Some of the later issues also reprint online fanfic. The early issues are numbered; later on the titles are organized by the fictional timeframe the zine takes place in, as many Orion Press zines take place in a vaguely shared universe at least as far as the basic chronology of the Trek universe is concerned. Their website offers timelines and such that the zines adhere to. Issues are still being released as of 2009, and there are also re-releases of older Orion Archives issues. A full list is available at the Orion Press website.
Summary from the flyer: "Following the Serenidad Tragedy, the crew of the Enterprise find themselves in completely new situations. Admiral James Kirk and Captain Spock found themselves serving as instructors and deans at Starfleet Academy (all the while being used in some special assignments for Starfleet), while other members of the crew found themselves serving aboard different starships, some with friends, some with strangers. This hiatus ends with the events in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan."
Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus 1
Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus 1 contains 301 pages and artwork by Linda Baker, Rick Endres, Toni Hardeman, Randall Landers, Christine M. Myers, and Gennie Summers.
- Aftermath written by Rick Endres (Following the Serenidad Tragedy, James T. Kirk finds himself in hot water with Starfleet Command, in a hospital bed with severe injuries, and in deep trouble as the target of a Klingon assassin.)
- Southern Comfort written by Linda McInnis (Following the tragedy at Serenidad, McCoy finds himself turning to an old friend in order to work through some of his emotional baggage. An excellent story! Note: Sexual themes.)
- Ad Astra Per Aspera written by Randall Landers, with Linda McInnis (The crew of the Enterprise are being reassigned, and this is Sulu’s story as he becomes the executive officer of a starship unlike any he’s served on before. Note: Sexual situations.)
- Memorial Day written by Rick Endres (Memorial Day has a special meaning for the famed starship commander. This is an extremely well-written vignette. Sometimes the best story can be told with the fewest words.)
- Escort Service written by Linda McInnis (This Uhura story has a misleading title. She becomes the executive officer of an escort ship (one that accompanies convoys and the like). Then, horribly, command is thrust upon her, and she must deal with it and its repercussions.)
- Alis Volat Propriis written by Linda McInnis (Admiral James T. Kirk deals with a rather precocious student who is either destined for greatness or for obscurity.)
- The Beggar’s Tooth written by Randall Landers (As executive officer of the science ship Cooper, Sulu has his hands full with personnel problems, personal problems and Kzinti. Note: Adult themes.)
- The Lesson written by Randall Landers (Aboard the Cooper, Sulu and his lover give the Vulcan Xon a lesson he'll never forget. Note: Sexually explicit content and artwork.)
- False Colors written by Ann Zewen (Nogura sends Starfleet Academy Instructor James T. Kirk him to investigate the destruction of an Orion starliner by the Federation starship Nelson. Kirk’s investigation and the problems it generates are compounded by the presence of Caryn Hollis, a particularly nosy news reporter.)
- Parts Is Parts written by Randall Landers and Linda McInnis (In this comedic romp, we learn what Scotty is up to with the wrecked Enterprise. Note: Sexual situations.)
Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus 2
Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus 2 contains 235 pages and artwork by Rick Endres, Don Harden, David Lawrence, Jeanne L. Matthews, Christine M. Myers, and Gennie Summers.
- Interlude written by Rowena Warner (Kirk, Spock and McCoy have a fiery confrontation as they come to grips with their ground assignments.)
- If Not Victory... written by Ann Zewen (In this sequel to "False Colors," Caryn Hollis is kidnapped by the Director of the Barrier Alliance Consortium, one of the galaxy’s most dangerous crime syndicates. Nogura is forced to send Kirk to rescue her, ironically aboard the U.S.S. Nelson, and this time with the help of Leonard McCoy.)
- ...Is Yet Revenge written by Rick Endres & Elizabeth Knauel (Tanith Brok, daughter of the recently killed Director of the Barrier Alliance, sets out to wreak havoc and obtain revenge from those who "wronged" her father: the INS reporter, the traitor, the captain of the U.S.S. Nelson, and James Tiberius Kirk. Note: Graphic violence and sexual situations.)
- Heaven written by Donna S. Frelick (While starting out in the Nexus, the story quickly progresses to Kirk’s flashback which details a certain summer spent with Antonia, one of his romantic interests who we’d never met before Star Trek: Generations.)
- Return to Tarsus written by Donna S. Frelick (Federation merchant ship Captain Kate Logan and Admiral James T. Kirk run into each other during his inspection of Starbase 74. Note: Adult themes.)
- To the Last Extremity written by Chris Dickenson (This is a Saavik-at-the-academy story which deals with Saavik’s life from the time since her rescue from Hellguard until the time we first see her in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. A top-rate look at Saavik’s background.)
- Tryst written by Linda McInnis (Aboard the Klingon Bird-of-Prey Kr’anya, Commander Kruge’s new plan of sending Valkris on an espionage assignment has Torg concerned, and Torg’s ambition has Valkris concerned. Together, they reach a rather satisfying mutual agreement in the service of their lord commander. Note: Sexual situations.)
- Just a Little Training Cruise written by Randall Landers (Sulu’s adventures as executive officer of the Federation science ship, U.S.S. Cooper conclude as he finds himself drawn back to the Enterprise as a favor to Admiral Kirk. A good look at the minor characters. Just keep an eye on Uhura if you’re ever having dinner with her...)
Orion Archives: 2276 The Second Hiatus 3
Orion Archives: 2276 The Second Hiatus 3 (aka Orion Archives: 2276 Liberation from Hell) is 252-page novel called "Liberation from Hell" by d. William Roberts. Artwork by Vel Jaeger, David Lawrence, Gennie Summers, Zaquia Tarhuntassa and Sherri Veltkamp. It was first published as a standalone zine Liberation from Hell in 1996, then reprinted as a digest sized zine in 2001, and then re-released in 2008 as a full size zine.
- The Kh’myr faction of Klingons have imprisoned Kang on the penal planet, Kragyr, and it’s up to Kor, Koloth and Kumara to liberate him from Hell. On the way, they encounter Leonard McCoy, Clark Terrell and the crew of the Reliant, some angry Chrysalians, and even the ghost of Kahless himself? A wonderful story which explains the political changes in the Empire.
Orion Archives: 2278 The Second Hiatus 4
Orion Archives: 2278 The Second Hiatus 4 is a 170-page novel called "Encounters and Countermoves" written by Nicole Comtet. Artwork by Rick Endres, Bonnie Reitz, Gennie Summers and Patty Wright. It was first published as a standalone zine Encounters and Countermoves in July 1999, then reprinted as a digest sized zine as part of the Orion Archives in 2001, and then re-released in 2008 as a full size zine .
- Doctor McCoy joins Captain Spock, Commander Uhura and a number of other former Enterprise officers on a cadet training cruise. They encounter a madman, rescue a stray cat, and conspire with the Romulans. A fun story!
The Orion Archives:
Note: Though it has a different title format, Hyperion 2296-2323 may also fit into this series
- Orion Archives: 2229-2265 The Beginnings
- Orion Archives: 2266-2270 The First Mission
- Orion Archives: 2270-2272 The First Hiatus
- Orion Archives: 2272-2275 The Second Mission
- Orion Archives: 2275-2283 The Second Hiatus
- Orion Archives: 2283-2284 Interludes
- Orion Archives: 2284-2323 Captain Sulu
- Orion Archives: 2285-2293 The Third Mission
- Orion Archives: 2292-2323 U.S.S. Chosin
- Orion Archives: 2293-2294 The Final Hiatus
- Orion Archives: 2294-2323 Chekov's Enterprise
- Orion Archives: 2294-2400 The Adventures Continue
- Orion Archives: 2295 The Sixth Fleet