|Pairing:||Louis Tomlinson/Nick Grimshaw|
|Alternative name(s):||Tomlinshaw, Grimlinson|
|Fandom:||One Direction/Radio 1 RPF|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Tomlinshaw is a crossover RPF slash pairing between BBC Radio 1 DJ Nick Grimshaw and One Direction singer Louis Tomlinson. Within 1D fandom, it is a rarepair, with less than 2% of 1D fanworks on the Archive of Our Own, though it represents a larger piece of the Radio 1 RPF pie. Tomlinshaw is sometimes described as a crack ship, as the canon basis is limited (confirmed Louis/Nick interactions are relatively few) and even its shippers don't treat it as very plausible (compared to other 1D ships, which tend to attract tinhats). For a comprehensive and updated primer (last updated 2018), check out Tomlinshaw: A Ship Primer by Writcraft.
yetistyles explains the appeal:
Basically, Nick and Louis fulfil a hate/love trope that really can’t be filled by any other pairings, since the rest of 1D is a puppy pile that fell in love with each other and became best friends/brothers/fated soulmates, and now I’m crying. It’s pretty clear how their personalities could clash – they’re both upfront, they’re both opinionated, and their senses of humour both lend themselves to anything from light-hearted banter to straight-up shade. There’s room there to get along well, and there’s also room to piss each other off till they’re at each other’s throats.
Fandom appears to have invented Tomlinshaw around September 2012; the earliest AO3 fic was posted September 13, and the earliest post in the tomlinshaw tag was on September 15, but the tag didn't get busy until September 24, Nick's first day on the Breakfast Show.
Nick and Louis had a rather infamous spat in late 2013. Highlights of the drama include Nick calling Louis a "complainy popstar" on air, Louis insulting Nick on twitter, Nick retaliating and offended 1D fans sending a barrage of "charming homophobic death threats" Nick's way. The two seem to have made up since, being perfectly civil during a Radio 1 interview in 2015. The two shared a hug backstage at the X Factor in late 2016.
There has been a resurgence of interest in Tomlinshaw in 2017, following Louis's appearance on the Radio 1 Breakfast Show.
Tropes and Themes
According to early fanon (the validity of which has been disputed in meta discussions) Nick and Louis supposedly hated one another; as a result, fic written about them features a lot of enemies to lovers and hatesex.
Many Tomlinshaw fanworks could be categorized as crackfic, but even if they are not crack, they are often humorous, playing off of Louis' and Nick's sarcasm and sharp wits.
Because there are so few canon interactions between them, many fics are AUs or futurefics, or in canon-compliant fics, their lack of interaction is explained by keeping their relationship a secret, sometimes even from the rest of 1D. These fics can feature closeting/coming-out angst or drama.
Harry Styles is often featured heavily in Tomlinshaw fics, sometimes as a catalyst for the two to meet, as he is good irl friends with both Louis and Nick.
- I Had Rather Hear My Dog Bark At A Crow by sunsetmog (2014-01-04). Nick and Louis don't like each other, not even a little bit, not even at all. Angsty Nick/Louis epic where Louis is closeted.
- Kissing in the Rain by Writcraft (2017-07-02) It starts at a party with shitty cocktails, a DJ that's definitely not as good as Nick and some 'that only happens in the movies' kissing in the rain.
- Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better Than You by aliferuined (2012-09-24) Basically, Louis and Nick have grumpy sex and ignore their feelings.
- Three Cheers for Involuntary Attraction by checkthemargins (2012-10-18) The one where Nick is accidentally dating Louis.
- where you lead (i will follow) by mozartspiano (2014-01-26) with podfic by ofjustimagine (2014-04-24). Gilmore Girls fusion: Louis is Lorelai, Harry is Rory, and Nick is Luke.
- I'll surrender up my heart (and swap it for yours) by clairdeloune (2016-03-24) When Louis got a text from Harry saying ‘hey so I kind of need you to do something for me’ he didn’t expect it would lead him to standing at Nick Grimshaw’s doorstep with a bag full of groceries, medicine and a box of takeaway.
- My Darling, You're Not Falling by ofjustimagine (Nov 2014) Louis and Nick have been married for almost six months. It's a secret. Well, it was. OR Louis and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Month (1hr 7mins)
- The Disgruntled Novelist's Bodacious Pornographer (or, that time Nick and Louis were rival romance writers) by greedy_dancer (Dec 2014) The day Nick releases his latest novel, Velvet Abyss - the very same day - Louis Tomlinson drops an unannounced online novella. It’s called The Pearl of the Pirate’s Booty, and it’s about nudist pirates living on a space station on one of Saturn’s moons. (58 mins)
- untitled Nick/Louis art by karukara (June 21, 2014)
- untilted art by imbeelingwithit (November 30, 2015)
- untitled art by otp-hedgefrog (April 23, 2016)
Primers and Recs
- Tomlinshaw: A Ship Primer by Writcraft (2018)
- Tomlinshaw is a good ship and you should ship it: the manifesto by nuukacola (2015)
- Why Tomlinshaw Is A Fab Ship by infinitylourry
- thetomlinshawlibrary - Tumblr fic recs (and some art)
- a guide to the tomlinshaw hug by hiatusniall (2016)
Fic and Podfic
- Nick/Louis fanworks on AO3
- Nick/Louis podfics on Audiofic Archive
- tomlinshawficlets - reblogs ficlets posted on Tumblr
Blogs and Communities
- The Tomlinshaw Fic Exchange on Tumblr/AO3
- As of July 29, 2015, Nick/Louis was 2% (834 of 40096) of all 1D fanworks on the AO3, but 38% of tagged Radio 1 RPF fanworks (577 of 1506). Numbers via the Radio 1 RPF sidebar.
- Tear You Down by Randominity. Posted September 13, 2012.
- flimsi. September 15, 2012 post. (Accessed July 4, 2014)
- Tumblr post by diangelo: I’m pretty sure none of us know either of them enough to be able to affirm that Nick HATES Louis no matter the amount of obvious sarcasm and probable dislike there is at both ends and thillia: Nick doesn’t actually hate Louis. Sure, maybe they’re not best friends but neither has ever mentioned hating or even disliking the other.