You may be looking for the glossary term: Fanosaur.
|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||Historical AUs, Animals in Fanworks, dragons, paleontology RPF|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Stories and art containing dinosaurs may be created in fandoms in which the existence of dinosaurs are canonically shown to still be alive (such as Jurassic Park). Alternatively, dinosaurs can be added to canon sources lacking dinosaurs/prehistoric creatures in general (such as Supernatural). This is usually done by fusions, crossovers, time travel or AUs, and can be taken seriously or as crackfic. Some fans have even seen it as a challenge to introduce dinosaurs into as many fandoms as possible.
Fandoms with Living Dinosaurs
The below is a list of canon fandoms that have dinosaurs still alive.
- Note: What constitutes inclusion on this list may vary among fans. In some instances, people and dinosaurs co-exist because of a time travel mechanism.
- Dinosaur (Disney film)
- Dragon Ball
- Dr. Slump
- The Flintstones
- A Girl and Her Plesiosaur (comic)
- Jurassic Park
- Kaiju Big Battel has Dino Kang Jr.
- King Kong
- The Land Before Time
- The Lost World
- Night at the Museum
- Prehistoric Park
- Primeval: New World
- Professional Wrestling has "The Queen of the Dinosaurs" Terra Calaway, who is billed from Isla Nublar, and Luchasaurus.
- Terra Nova
- World Wrestling Entertainment had "The Funkasaurus" Brodus Clay.
Fandoms with Other Dinosaur Content
- Firefly. Wash's toy dinosaurs pop up occasionally
- One of Professional Wrestling promotion CHIKARA's big events is titled Chikarasaurus Rex.
- Vorkosigan Saga. Gregor's childhood toy Steggie sometimes makes it into fanfiction
- In the The Dresden Files book Dead Beat, Harry Dresden reanimates the T-rex skeleton named Sue into a zombie-dinosaur, which he then rides on as a steed.
- The video game Horizon Zero Dawn features machines, some of which are based on dinosaurs.
There is also a little fannish interest in 19th century paleontologists, both real and fictional, including:
- the intense rivalry between Americans Edward Cope & O.C. Marsh, based on the documentary Dinosaur Wars
- English paleontologist Mary Anning and her cross-class friendship with Elizabeth Philpot
- Friends' Ross Gellar was likely the most famous and popular paleontologist ever on television, and he was only shown at work on select occasions.
- jedibuttercup wrote Earth, Fire, Air & Water (crossover BTVS/Jurassic Park, Buffy Summers/Alan Grant)
- Dino Castiel (Supernatural's Castiel as a dino)
- Adventures of the Space Stegosaurus by Avanti_90. Vorkosigan comic starring Steggie
- prehistoric birdwatching by orphan_account. A BFU Jurassic Park AU.
Archives and Communities