|Synonyms:||anti-larry, anti, het girl|
|See also:||larrie, big larrie, tinhat|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
An anti-larrie is a One Direction fan who disagrees with, or actively opposes, Larries (fans of the theory that Larry is real, i.e. that bandmembers Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson are in a relationship and are pressured by their management to stay in the closet).
Self-identified anti-larries have sometimes remarked that larries seem to have a different definition of anti-larrie. (See #Shipping.) According to Tumblr user shit-larries-say, larries include all non Larry believers in their definition of "anti". Larries say they define antis as people who are "against Larry" and do not include people who are "ambivalent" or "don't care" in their definition. The term non-larries is sometimes used instead. A non-larrie is any 1D fan who doesn't believe that Larry is real.
Origin & Definitions
The term "anti larrie" seems to have been in use by larries as long as the term larrie:
- September 21, 2014: "Anti larries are so funny like why are you so anti what are you afraid of??"
- September 27, 2014: "When anti-larries get all up in your grill: BITCH I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS LARRY SEXTAPE YOU GON NEED TO CALL ME BACK LATER"
- September 28, 2014: "have you ever noticed that anti larries are always the ones to make everything about larry"
Describing other fans as "anti larry" or as "anti larry shippers" goes back further on Twitter, but few references to "anti" and "tinhat" in the 1D context turn up.
"Antis" as a noun by itself is harder to search for, but seems to have been in use since at least December 2014:
- December 18, 2014: "even after h&l come out the war between larries and antis will still continue because some people are CLOSEMINDED FUCKS"
- December 30, 2014: "literally a war between the antis and larries, I wonder if Sam knew before he posted what he was doing"
- January 11, 2015: "its so funny when antis use the most ridic "proof" to make fun of larries but when theres actual ~proof they suddenly cant read"
There has been some debate about who came up with the term anti in the 1D context, and what it means exactly:
[Anonymous:] "Not believing the relationship isn’t real doesn’t make you an anti - anti is a label some people chose for themselves, to show that they are actively fighting against us. If you don’t do that you’re not an anti!" UM we didn't call ourselves antis though
Ugh, they are so wrong about everything. Why on earth would we choose to call ourselves ‘antis’? That’s a label larries gave us (they tried with the more offensive ‘hets’ and still do, but this is the one that stuck). It’s not “fighting against” larries to call them out when they’re wrong.
Not believing Larry is real is exactly what being an ‘anti’ means. We are anti-tinhat, anti-disrespect, anti-conspiracies, anti-harassment, anti-homophobia, anti-misogyny, etc. We are not anti-shipping or anti-Larry. We’re not this evil entity larries are trying to make us out to be just because we disagree with them and want them to stop.
I’m so tired of their willful ignorance and spreading of false facts.
Anti-Larries vs Anti-Larry
yea for me like anti isnt anti larry its anti larrIEs bc they are annoying and should mind their business instead of obsessing over someone else’s sexuality or possible relationship
people who are "anti larry" are against louis and harry being together and are homophobic. people who are "ANTI LARRIES" (which is 99% of antis) are just against larries and theorizing about a relationship between two real people. if larry was real we wouldnt be against it but it isnt so....
Discussion Topics and Activities
On Tumblr anti-larries often set up blogs specifically devoted to debunking misinformation, writing rebuttals against larrie arguments, and answering anon asks. Another major theme of anti blogs is calling out offensive and harassing behavior of larries, especially the harassment of 1D members' real-life girlfriends and families.
As of 2016, another discussion topic was dissecting how larries maintain their belief in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. According to antis, larries live in an information bubble, reinforcing each other's views and refusing to seek out or trust alternate viewpoints; news about 1D is believed to the extent that it supports their conclusions and disregarded when it contradicts Larry.
In early 2017, antis were still going strong, again focusing on larries' worst behavior on social media, especially toward the mother of Louis's baby. larriearchive was created to document "cyberbullying" and other larrie posts considered extreme.
As of early 2022, some anti-larrie blogs are still active, though some blogs have become dormant or were deleted.
Boycotts and Challenge Rules
Starting in 2016-2017, likely in response to the fallout from larries' belief that Louis' son wasn't real, another discussion topic was the idea of actively boycotting or excluding larries from fandom, including blocking and not reblogging non-tinhatting fannish content posted by larries and preventing them from participating in fandom challenges.
In December 2016, the tumblr account biglarrieboycott was created after back-to-louis proposed a general boycott on reblogging non-tinhat fannish content from larrie blogs or participating in larrie-run events, arguing that "It is the distribution of 'neutral', non shipping posts by these folks that enables the toxic mindsets that lead to mistrust of everything in these mens’ lives to proliferate throughout fandom, and it damaged all of us and our perception of the boys in increments every day for years." The instigating incident was a larrie-run charity drive in honor of Louis's mother after her death from cancer. back-to-louis and other anti-larries said they were angry first because larries had been harassing Louis' mother for publicly expressing love for her grandson, whom the larries didn't believe was real, and second because of gross responses to her death by larries. (Both larries and antis accused the other side of making her death about Larry.) back-to-louis argued that larries needed to be starved of attention because "What they believe right now is that most people just don’t care about what they do because sure, they get some pushback when they tinhat, but they get most of their notes not from gross larrie speculation but from their cute text posts or their talented graphics." The big larrie boycott list contains 118 names as of 2022.
yessoupy started a related list in March 2017 for fans who wanted to avoid reading AO3 fic by 1D tinhats (larries or ziams) and in the following month made a similar list of 1d_bigbang fics written by larries.
It is unclear what impact the biglarrieboycott list had on the wider fandom, but it may have influenced the development of rules excluding larries from challenges and the creation of new challenges by larries in response.
On March 28, 2017, 1D Married in Vegas Fanwork Fest announced it would "not reblog contributions by tumblr users who tinhat Larry Stylinson." When asked if Houies (fans who think H/L used to be together) were allowed, the mods said yes and further clarified that "We just don’t want to elevate the voices of people who promote disrespectful and toxic behavior toward Louis and his loved ones." The Married in Vegas fest was ultimately unsuccessful (only two works appear in the AO3 collection), but its rules attracted the attention of larries. On March 29, kingsofeverything declared that antis were "a bunch of assholes" and contrasted their behavior with larries, who she described as "inclusive. we may not agree with you or believe what you believe, but we’re not going to tell you that you can’t participate in a fic exchange or fest." kingsofeverything created a larrie-friendly version of the challenge on the same day: Larried in Vegas (AO3 collection) and larriedinvegasficfest (tumblr account). Despite the name, the collection was open to all ships; as of 2022, 8 works are posted, 7 of which are tagged Harry/Louis.
In October 2017, yessoupy published an anon ask on her Shit Larries Say blog:
all the projects and fanfic fests are run by larries and no one outside of larriedom seems interested in starting projects either. I'm pretty sure the new mods of Big Bang are larries. I can count on one hand nonlarries who put in any effort to get fun fandom projects started. Complaining about larrie run projects but putting in zero effort to create safe and respectful projects of our own is a problem.
Shit Larries Say replied encouraging people to start their own challenges that excluded larries. anti-larries then asked the mods of 1d bigbang what their stance on tinhats was. The mods' response managed to antagonize both larries and anti-larries, who made alternative big bangs with contrasting rules (see New One Direction Big Bang and The 1D Collab), which may have hastened the end of 1d bigbang.
On March 7, 2021, #AbolishLarries2021 trended on Twitter (number 38 according to us.trend-calendar.com) and was attributed to anti-larries. However, it may have trended because so many larries tweeted it or because it was started by a Marvel fan. The hashtag was started by @capsyeIena, a suspended account who appears to be anti-RPF.
The designations "anti-larrie" and "anti-larry" are ambiguous, suggesting opposition to the ship. This ambiguity is consistent with other larrie terms such as het girl and their usage of shipping as synonymous with tinhatting.
The term is also very similar to the tumblr term anti-shippers, also called antis, that refers to people who hate a ship. (It is not clear which term came first.)
In practice, anti-larries may or may not ship Larry Stylinson or any other combination of 1D bandmembers as fictional pairings. However, many larries equate being against the conspiracy theory with being against the ship. For example, in answering an anon ask about why people set up anti-larry blogs, the-counter-narrative wrote:
I do want to clear up one misunderstanding that you seem to have. Disagreeing with Larrie theories about Larry being real, is not the same thing as being against a ship. In fact, many of us ship Larry. I think you probably have the misconception which is common among Larries that what you are doing is shipping. It is not. It is Tinhatting.
Other Fans' Views
A lot of other fans, larries and non-larries, think that antis are wasting their time trying to change larries' minds. In a 2016 tumblr discussion between antis, springstylers said, "Some people ask me why I do it because they think it’s hopeless and I’m just looking for trouble but like you said I can’t let them get away with that behavior."
Larries have characterized antis' behavior as weird and obsessive, asking why antis spend all of their time trying to argue with larries instead of just enjoying One Direction. (Tumblr anti-larries argue that these are just their side blogs and they do spend more time on other things.) Many larries made fun of anti-larries' debunks as unconvincing and illogical, or that antis were trying to debunk arguments larries never made, or that antis were trying to debunk ship-related content that wasn't intended as a proof. (Anti-larries have often complained that larries misrepresent anti arguments.) A problem with larries' and anti-larries' characterization of one another is that both groups are poorly defined and contain a diverse array of opinions, but each side tends to assume the weakest arguments and worst behavior they are exposed to is representative of the other side as a whole.
Many larries think that anti-larries are homophobic and hate larries for believing that Harry and Louis are gay. (Some anti-larries have complained that it's especially annoying to be mislabeled as homophobic when they are LGBTQ+.) For example, lornasaurusrex blogged in 2021:
Anyone who calls themselves an anti makes a majority of their fandom experience based on hating a ‘ship’ which makes them all kind of extremists and I’d bet about 80% or more of those people are definitely pressed and uncomfortable because they can’t stand the idea of them being gay because it shatters their lil fantasy which is why they’re so obsessed with Deadbeat Dad Shitty Boyfriend Louis and Hetty Haddy Bi King Cunnilingus Carl.
In 2016 an ex-larrie recalled,
I remember being told over and over again, countless times, that all antis are het girls who are just homophobic. I was told that being an anti meant that you fight against anyone that would think Louis/Harry are gay because gays are wrong.
In addition, larries often see antis' uninvited attempts to argue with them as bullying and harassment. Certainly anti-larries and other non-larries, including 1D fans who don't like RPF or shipping, have made fun of larry theories on social media. Larries feel that many tumblr blogs exist to mock them, such as shit-larries-say, zot3-flopped, and niamflopped. Anyone ridiculing larries could be seen as an anti-larry blog, though as such they are engaging in a different activity from the debunking blogs (see for example larrieparody). Many non-larries have been outspoken in their anger toward or disgust with larries. However, many anti-larries criticize what they see as yet another attempt on the part of larries to demonize the opposition.
Big larries have blocked anti-larrie blogs so that antis cannot reblog their posts. Anti-larries believe that big larries do this to control their followers' access to information, so that other larries won't be exposed to visible counter-arguments in the reblogs. (Larries see this as an example of conspiratorial thinking on the part of anti-larries. See Big Larrie#Controversy for how a 2015 incident may have influenced anti-larries to assume that big larries coordinate.) At least one big larrie countered by saying that it was for her own peace of mind to curate her fandom experience.
In a February 2016 tumblr reblog, lrambling commented that the vast majority of the fandom probably didn't pay any attention to either anti-larries or larries.
Bethan Jones's 2016 book chapter on 1D fans uses the term "anti-Larry" to mean fans opposed to shipping Harry/Louis, though her definitions of shipping, tinhatting, and Larry Stylinson are muddled throughout. This is probably an independent coinage; Jones applies previous fan studies scholarship on anti-fandom in comparing negative media responses to 1D fans to intra-fandom responses to Larry shippers. Jones' description of 1D fandom appears to include all of the active fanbase on twitter, including fans who don't like RPF.
- For example: "...holy shit, is this an actual Larry on meme, or does "anti" mean something vastly different outside of One Direction fandom??" 2016-04-11 comment, Fail_Fandomanon.
- "Episode 6 - Homophobia and #yesALLlarries".
- 9 April 2021 Fanlore edit
- "non-larries" + "anti-larries" Twitter search
- tweet by sublminalmind, Archived version, Sep 21, 2014.
- tweet by sexting_halsey, Archived version, Sep 27, 2014
- tweet by amanda__280, Archived version, Sep 28, 2014
- until:2014-09-01 "anti larry" shipper, Archived version, twitter search 2 January 2022.
- tweet by iwantyourbelly, Archived version, Dec 18, 2014.
- tweet by dana1t, Archived version, Dec 30, 2014.
- tweet by foxhxle, Archived version, Jan 11, 2015
- tumblr post, archived, by im-on-fire-now, posted September 15, 2015.
- hittiesluvr tweet, Archived version, Dec 6, 2020
- nakedrry tweet, Archived version, March 31, 2021
- "I don't get why you antis treat her like she's the Virgin Mary come to give birth to the return of Jesus." "She is a target of an immense amount of hatred for having given birth to a baby and refusing to be silenced the way you wish she would be." anon ask answered by thelarrative, Archived version, 4 January 2017.
- untitled tumblr post by back-to-louis, Archived version, 11 December 2016. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 117 notes.
- untitled tumblr post by millionharry, Archived version, 11 December 2016. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 64 notes.
- anon ask answered by lavenderstyles, Archived version, 10 December 2016. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 158 notes.
- ANTIS AND BRIANA STANS NEED TO BACKSPACE THE HELL UP AND LOG THE FUCK OUT, Archived version, tumblr post by dylan-klebold-is-my-baby, reblogged with rebuttle by millionharry, 11 December 2016. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 176 notes.
- tumblr thread started by louieforlouis, Archived version, 11 December 2016. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 218 notes.
- ask answered by back-to-louis, Archived version, 11 December 2016.
- Boycott of toxic Larries, Archived version, tumblr post by biglarrieboycott. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 1570 notes.
- AO3 tinhat boycott list, Archived version, 5 March 2017. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 803 notes.
- big bang AO3 larrie list, Archived version, 27 April 2017. As of 8 February 2022, this tumblr post has 10 notes.
- note from the mods, Archived version, 28 March 2017. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 16 notes.
- anon ask answered by marriedinvegasfest, Archived version, 30 March 2017. Accessed 6 February 2022.
- untitled tumblr post by kingsofeverything, Archived version, 29 March 2017. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 324 notes.
- Larried In Vegas - Works, Archived version, AO3 collection. Accessed 7 February 2022.
- anon ask answered by shit-larries-say, Archived version, 23 October 2017. As of 6 February 2022, this tumblr post has 20 notes.
- reply to capsyeIena by nqsti, Archived version
- shipping real people is weird help, Archived version, tweet by capsyeIena, 7 March 2021.
- For example: "i get sad when people say they stopped shipping Larry because it became too much of a 'conspiracy' for them. Like, it’s a forbidden gay romance in a multi-million dollar pop band, the fuck did you think you were getting into?". untitled tumblr post by becomingkait, Archived version, 15 October 2015.
- ANTI LARRY BLOGS ACTUALLY EXIST LIKE THIS ISNT HATE BUT I CANNOT BELI EVE THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY RUN BLOGS AGAINST A RELATIONSHIP ???!, Archived version, answered by the-counter-narrative on tumblr, 13 September 2015.
- reblog by springstylers, Archived version, 12 February 2016.
- See a 2020 tumblr discussion between lornasaurusrex, thisiskatsblog, and others. lornasaurusrex: "#they hate us because we think theyre gay #not because we reach" thisiskatsblog: "you see the pattern and it’s hate for the gay" tumblr ask answered by lornasaurusrex, Archived version, 4 February 2020. As of 19 December 2021 this tumblr post has 6 notes.
- anon ask answered by lonrasaurusrex, Archived version, 18 May 2021. As of 3 January 2022, this tumblr post has 54 notes.
- stylininmi. "A Post About My Time in the Larrie Fandom". Archived from the original on 2022-01-03., 7 March 2016. As of 2 January 2022, this tumblr post has 46 notes.
- "I don’t feel like engaging you in a discussion. I don’t. I just feel like blocking you so you can’t do it again and I don’t have to keep seeing your URL." PSA, Archived version, tumblr post by worshippedlove, 10 February 2016. As of 2018 worshippedlove is no longer a larrie. tumblr thread reblogged by shit-larries-say, Archived version, 11 June 2018.
- "The majority of fandom doesn’t care about debunks, and debunk or call out posts don’t get a lot of notes." reblog by lrambling of a post by bulletproofhalo, Archived version, 8 February 2016.
- Jones, Bethan. “ ‘I Will Throw You off Your Ship and You Will Drown and Die’: Death Threats, Intra-Fandom Hate, and the Performance of Fangirling.” Seeing Fans: Representations of Fandom in Media and Popular Culture, edited by Lucy Kathryn Bennett and Paul Booth, Bloomsbury Academic, 2016, pp. 53-66.