|Synonyms:||anti-larry, anti, het girl|
|See also:||larrie, big larrie, tinhat|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
An anti-larrie is a One Direction fan who disagrees with, or actively opposes, Larries (fans of the theory that Larry is real, i.e. that bandmembers Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson are in a relationship and are pressured by their management to stay in the closet).
Self-identified anti-larries have sometimes remarked that larries seem to have a different definition of anti-larrie. (See #Shipping.) According to Tumblr user shit-larries-say, larries include all non Larry believers in their definition of "anti". Larries say they define antis as people who are "against Larry" and do not include people who are "ambivalent" or "don't care" in their definition. The term non-larries is sometimes used instead. A non-larrie is any 1D fan who doesn't believe that Larry is real.
Definitions & Origins
There has been some debate about who came up with the term anti in the 1D context, and what it means exactly:
[Anonymous:] "Not believing the relationship isn’t real doesn’t make you an anti - anti is a label some people chose for themselves, to show that they are actively fighting against us. If you don’t do that you’re not an anti!" UM we didn't call ourselves antis thoughim-on-fire-now, 2015Ugh, they are so wrong about everything. Why on earth would we choose to call ourselves ‘antis’? That’s a label larries gave us (they tried with the more offensive ‘hets’ and still do, but this is the one that stuck). It’s not “fighting against” larries to call them out when they’re wrong.
Not believing Larry is real is exactly what being an ‘anti’ means. We are anti-tinhat, anti-disrespect, anti-conspiracies, anti-harassment, anti-homophobia, anti-misogyny, etc. We are not anti-shipping or anti-Larry. We’re not this evil entity larries are trying to make us out to be just because we disagree with them and want them to stop.I’m so tired of their willful ignorance and spreading of false facts.
Anti-Larries vs Anti-Larry
yea for me like anti isnt anti larry its anti larrIEs bc they are annoying and should mind their business instead of obsessing over someone else’s sexuality or possible relationshiphittiesluvr, 2020
people who are "anti larry" are against louis and harry being together and are homophobic. people who are "ANTI LARRIES" (which is 99% of antis) are just against larries and theorizing about a relationship between two real people. if larry was real we wouldnt be against it but it isnt so....nakedrry, 2021
Anti-larries often set up tumblrs specifically devoted to debunking misinformation, writing rebuttals against larrie arguments, and answering anon asks. Another major theme of anti blogs is calling out offensive and harassing behavior of larries, especially the harassment of 1D members' real-life girlfriends and families.
As of 2016, another discussion topic was dissecting how larries maintain their belief in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. According to antis, larries live in an information bubble, reinforcing each other's views and refusing to seek out or trust alternate viewpoints; news about 1D is believed to the extent that it supports their conclusions and disregarded when it contradicts Larry.
In early 2017, antis were still going strong, again focusing on larries' worst behavior on social media, especially toward the mother of Louis's baby. larriearchive was created to document "cyberbullying" and other larrie posts considered extreme.
At one point antis trended "Abolish Larries" on Twitter.
The designations "anti-larrie" and "anti-larry" are ambiguous, suggesting opposition to the ship. This ambiguity is consistent with other larrie terms such as het girl and their usage of shipping as synonymous with tinhatting.
The term is also very similar to the tumblr term anti-shippers, also called antis, that refers to people who hate a ship. (It is not clear which term came first.)
In practice, anti-larries may or may not ship Larry Stylinson or any other combination of 1D bandmembers as fictional pairings. However, many larries equate being against the conspiracy theory with being against the ship. For example, in answering an anon ask about why people set up anti-larry blogs, the-counter-narrative wrote:
I do want to clear up one misunderstanding that you seem to have. Disagreeing with Larrie theories about Larry being real, is not the same thing as being against a ship. In fact, many of us ship Larry. I think you probably have the misconception which is common among Larries that what you are doing is shipping. It is not. It is Tinhatting.
Other Fans' Views
A lot of other fans, larries and non-larries, think that antis are wasting their time trying to change larries' minds. Larries tend to wonder why antis spend all of their time trying to argue with Larries instead of just enjoying One Direction. 
An ex-larrie recalls:
I remember being told over and over again, countless times, that all antis are het girls who are just homophobic. I was told that being an anti meant that you fight against anyone that would think Louis/Harry are gay because gays are wrong.
In addition, larries often see antis' uninvited attempts to argue with them as bullying and harassment. Certainly anti-larries and other non-larries, including 1D fans who don't like RPF or shipping, have made fun of larry theories on social media. Larries feel that many tumblr blogs exist to mock them, such as shit-larries-say, zot3-flopped, and niamflopped. Anyone ridiculing larries could be seen as an anti-larry blog, though as such they are engaging in a different activity from the debunking blogs (see for example larrieparody). Many non-larries have been outspoken in their anger toward or disgust with larries. However, many anti-larries criticize what they see as yet another attempt on the part of larries to demonize the opposition.
Larries have also characterized antis' behavior as weird and obsessive since they appear to devote a large chunk of their free time to a community that they don't like.
Big larries have blocked anti-larrie blogs so that antis cannot reblog their posts. Anti-larries believe that big larries do this to control their followers' access to information, so that other larries won't be exposed to visible counter-arguments in the reblogs. (Larries see this as an example of conspiratorial thinking on the part of anti-larries. See Big Larrie#Controversy for how a 2015 incident may have influenced anti-larries to assume that big larries coordinate.) At least one big larrie countered by saying that it was for her own peace of mind to curate her fandom experience.
In a February 2016 tumblr reblog, lrambling commented that the vast majority of the fandom probably didn't pay any attention to either anti-larries or larries.
Bethan Jones's 2016 book chapter on 1D fans uses the term "anti-Larry" to mean fans opposed to shipping Harry/Louis, though her definitions of shipping, tinhatting, and Larry Stylinson are muddled throughout. This is probably an independent coinage; Jones applies previous fan studies scholarship on anti-fandom in comparing negative media responses to 1D fans to intra-fandom responses to Larry shippers. Jones' description of 1D fandom appears to include all of the active fanbase on twitter, including fans who don't like RPF.
- For example: "...holy shit, is this an actual Larry on meme, or does "anti" mean something vastly different outside of One Direction fandom??" 2016-04-11 comment, Fail_Fandomanon.
- "Episode 6 - Homophobia and #yesALLlarries".
- 9 April 2021 Fanlore edit
- "non-larries" + "anti-larries" Twitter search
- tumblr post, archived, by im-on-fire-now, posted September 15, 2015.
- [https://twitter.com/hittiesluvr/status/1335707133871058945 hittiesluvr tweet, Dec 6, 2020
- [https://twitter.com/nakedrry/status/1377078039075463168 nakedrry tweet, March 31, 2021
- "I don't get why you antis treat her like she's the Virgin Mary come to give birth to the return of Jesus." "She is a target of an immense amount of hatred for having given birth to a baby and refusing to be silenced the way you wish she would be." anon ask answered by thelarrative, Archived version, 4 January 2017.
- For example: "i get sad when people say they stopped shipping Larry because it became too much of a 'conspiracy' for them. Like, it’s a forbidden gay romance in a multi-million dollar pop band, the fuck did you think you were getting into?". untitled tumblr post by becomingkait, Archived version, 15 October 2015.
- ANTI LARRY BLOGS ACTUALLY EXIST LIKE THIS ISNT HATE BUT I CANNOT BELI EVE THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY RUN BLOGS AGAINST A RELATIONSHIP ???!, Archived version, answered by the-counter-narrative on tumblr, 13 September 2015.
- "Some people ask me why I do it because they think it’s hopeless and I’m just looking for trouble but like you said I can’t let them get away with that behavior." reblog by springstylers, Archived version, 12 February 2016.
- stylininmi. "A Post About My Time in the Larrie Fandom".
- "I don’t feel like engaging you in a discussion. I don’t. I just feel like blocking you so you can’t do it again and I don’t have to keep seeing your URL." PSA, Archived version, tumblr post by worshippedlove, 10 February 2016. As of 2018 worshippedlove is no longer a larrie. tumblr thread reblogged by shit-larries-say, Archived version, 11 June 2018.
- "The majority of fandom doesn’t care about debunks, and debunk or call out posts don’t get a lot of notes." reblog by lrambling of a post by bulletproofhalo, Archived version, 8 February 2016.
- Jones, Bethan. “ ‘I Will Throw You off Your Ship and You Will Drown and Die’: Death Threats, Intra-Fandom Hate, and the Performance of Fangirling.” Seeing Fans: Representations of Fandom in Media and Popular Culture, edited by Lucy Kathryn Bennett and Paul Booth, Bloomsbury Academic, 2016, pp. 53-66.