|Pairing:||Dipper Pines/Mabel Pines|
|Alternative name(s):||Pinecest, Mystery Twins|
|Gender category:||Het, Incest, Twincest|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The twins are close, friends as well as siblings.
Grunkle Stan, 2x11 "Not What He Seems"
"I tell you, it's unnatural for siblings to get along as well as you do."
They do not get together in canon, nor is there any particular subtext between them. Rather, their shipability comes from their complementary personalities. They embody many classic opposites-attract tropes, with Mabel being bubbly, artistic, and warm, and Dipper being serious, snarky and anxious.
Big Name Fan Double Pines was absolutely seminal to the ship, and was active from 2012 to 2016. Double Pines produced quite a bit of fanfic and fanart, but was most well known for fancomics. Some later shippers describe their fanworks as more fanworks of Double Pines' work than Gravity Falls.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Aged Up: Virtually all fanworks depict the twins as high school students or college students, or occasionally as adults later in life. Fics involving them as 12- or 13-year-olds (their age in canon) with crush on each other do exist, but are very rare.
- Mental health: Often a core theme in Pinecest works. That Dipper has PTSD from being possessed by Bill Cipher during the canon is a popular headcanon. Also popular is the headcanon that Dipper has more generalized anxiety. Dipper commonly works through or copes with either or both of those things in fanfic, with Mabel's help.
- Kidfic: Often featuring their popular fanmade daughter Cassiopeia "Cassie" Pines.
- Reverse Falls: AU where Pacifica Northwest and Lil’ Gideon switch roles with Mabel and Dipper
- Tripletcest: The Pines are not twins, but triplets
- Star motifs: Canon has the motif of Mabel as a shooting star, while Dipper has motifs as both a pine tree, and as the constellation the Big Dipper. Invoking both the shooting star and constellation motifs in a joint starry motif is popular.
- Incest: The ship is subject to same general controversy that all incestuous ships are.
- Underage: In canon the twins are 12, turning 13 at the very end of the show. Thus, they are seriously underage. Fanworks virtually always age them up, most being High School AUs and College AUs.
- Real Person Fiction: Because the characters are based on show-creator Alex Hirsch and his real-life twin sister Ariel Hirsch, some have called the ship RPF. However most people agree it does not count, and moreover, that considering "based on a real person" to mean RPF is a dangerous precedent to set, given its very wide-reaching implications.
Starry Pines, from the Problematic Ships Project
Links & Resources
- Archive of Our Own tag: Dipper Pines/Mabel Pines
- FanFiction.Net: [Dipper P., Mabel P.] pairing
- Shipcestuous: Tag
- DeviantArt: pinecest-Shippers
- Gravity Falls Shipping Wiki: Pinecest
- "Important question: why is Doublepines so worshipped by the pinecest community?". Archived from the original on 2020-03-17.