|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||Make Up, Make Up or Break Up (tvtropes), Breakup Breakout (tvtropes)|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Break-up trope is quite common in fanfiction and appears in practically every fandom.
Break-ups are not always romantic in nature. Friend groups and families can also break up.
Factors leading to the break-up can be internal (infidelity, lying, betrayal, etc.) or external (outside influence.)
Stories featuring the break up trope can focus on the breaking-up process, or start with the characters already broken up, dealing with the aftermath and often reuniting.
- Lord knows it would be the first time by uraneia: a Teen Wolf story in which Sterek resolve misunderstandings and get back together. (2013)
- Insane and Rising (Text + podfic) by dapatty and RubyTuesday5681 (MCR): Gerard always thought that the band and his relationship with Frank were two separate things. Looking back at it now, he has moments where he thinks they never were. Some days it feels like the two were hopelessly intertwined and Frank leaving Gerard after Gerard left the band was inevitable. (2013)
- Only Hate The Road When You're Missing Home by sunsetmog: a One Direction story in which Louis and Liam used to be married, but Liam gave Louis up "for his own good." (2015)
- hello my old heart series by lynnearlington: a 389k Supergirl WIP series which retells the 2nd season with Lena and Kara as exes. (2017-)
- Echo Chorus by smiles, a BTS story: Persuasion AU. Five years ago, Seokjin was persuaded to break up with the only man he has loved, brilliant producer and adoring boyfriend Min Yoongi. Now, just as Seokjin's record company is failing, Yoongi returns, cold and seemingly indifferent. (2020)
- (Podfic) more Witcher OT3 not!fic by sylvaine (The Witcher): Jaskier is saaaaaaaad after the breakup and so is all of Temeria so Yennefer decides to FIX IT, DAMNIT. (2020)
- Divorce fic, a Panic! at the Disco trope which deals with the band's 2009 split into two distinct entities, which also "broke up" the band's longest canon friendship and preferred fanon pairing.
- Band Break Up AO3 tag
Archives & Links
- Break Up tag at AO3
- Post-Break Up AO3 tag
- Breaking Up & Making Up AO3 tag
- Getting Back Together AO3 tag
- Band Break Up AO3 tag