Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
|Name:||Jojo's Bizarre Adventure|
|Date(s):||1987 – present|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a long-running shounen manga series created by Hirohiko Araki that began its run in 1987 on Weekly Shonen Jump. The series, currently in eight parts, follows the journeys of the Joestar bloodline with each member nicknamed Jojo.
The protagonists are as followed:
- Jonathan Joestar: The main character of the first part, Phantom Blood. An kind Englishman whose life takes a turn for the worse when his family adopts series villain Dio Brando who quickly makes it his mission to make Jonathan miserable. Following the death of their father after Dio turned himself into a vampire with an ancient mask, Jonathan decides to become stronger with help from the eccentric master of Hamon William Zeppeli & street crook turned loyal follower Robert E.O. Speedwagon to stop Dio's plans.
- Joseph Joestar: The grandson of Jonathan and protagonist of its second part Battle Tendency. Joseph is a wily trickster who was born with a natural affinity for Hamon and pitted against the Pillar Men, who plot world domination by becoming the ultimate lifeform. Along the way, Joseph teams up with fellow Hamon masters Caesar Zeppeli, who is the grandson of William Zeppeli, and Lisa Lisa, who turns out to be Joseph's mother.
- Jotaro Kujo: the main character of Stardust Crusaders and its single most popular character. When first introduced, Jotaro is the grandson of Joseph Joestar who willingly locks himself in prison under the belief that he's possessed by an evil spirit which would later be identified as a Stand, a concept that would become a mainstay in the series going forward. Jotaro allies with his grandfather alongside his friend Muhammad Avdol, fellow Japanese student Noriaki Kakyoin, Frenchman Jean Pierre Polnareff and a dog named Iggy on a journey to Egypt to save his mother from being killed by a Stand created by Dio when he stole the body of Jonathan Joestar.
- Josuke Higashikata: the bastard son of Joseph Joestar named and the protagonist of Diamond is Unbreakable. This part follows his life with friends Koichi Hirose & Okuyasu Nijimura as they team up with Jotaro and Joseph to defend their town of Morioh from evil Stand users like the serial killer Yoshikage Kira. The part initially gained notoriety for poorly made Chinese [[fan-translation]s] that generated many memes within the fandom.
- After Part 4 is Vento Aureo starring Giorno Giovanna, the son of Dio Brando. Unlike his father, Giorno wants to be a good person by becoming a gangster to stop drug transportation across Italy. He joins the gang Passione under the guidance of Bruno Bucciarati and later comes into conflict with Passione's don named Diavolo.
- Part 6, titled Stone Ocean, follows Jotaro Kujo's daughter Jolyne Cujoh after she is wrongfully imprisoned for murder. There, she joins with cellmates Ermes Costello, Emporio Alnino, Narciso Anasui, Weather Report and Foo Fighters to stop Enrico Pucci from continuing with his master Dio's plans.
- Steel Ball Run is the first part in a reboot of sorts of the series taking place in 19th century America where paraplegic horse rider Johnny Joestar enters a race held by the president of the United States to claim pieces of the corpse of a holy figure.
- The current part is Jojolion, following an amnesiac sailor sharing his name with Josuke Higashikata who travels to regain his lost memories.