|See also:||Andorian, Ferengi, Gorn, Klingon, Romulan, Tellarite, Vulcan, Orion|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Cardassians are a race of humanoid aliens that appear on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager. Their homeworld is Cardassia Prime, a planet in the Cardassian System which is part of the Alpha Quadrant.
The Cardassian race was popular with many fans, sometimes called 'Cardie-lovers'. Popular Cardassian characters from DS9 canon include Elim Garak, Kelas Parmak, Gul Dukat, Damar, Enabran Tain and the half-Bajoran, Tora Ziyal.
Seska is a female undercover Cardassian operative who was genetically altered to appear Bajoran in ST: VOY.
A popular trend in DS9 fandom is to incorporate "redesigns" of the Cardassian characters into fanworks, focusing on exaggerated or more prevalent reptilian features and physiology. Examples include, drawing Cardassians with tails or claws, writing shedding fic, or alluding to them being cold-blooded. These tropes are prevalent enough that they have ascended to headcanon status for some, believing that this was the "intended" look of the characters, and was only not realized because of practical or budgetary constraints on the show.
- Cardassian Chronicles - a print-zine from the 1990s containing gen and het fiction
- Scaly Tales e-zine
- The Cardassian Inquisitor - a Gul Dukat-centered newsletter (1999-2000)
- Uncertain Times (multimedia zine) - a 2018 fanzine set in and around Cardassia and Cardassians.
- Splintered: A Romance in Six Seasons by Cân Cennau - explores a worldbuilt Cardassia through the eyes of Julian Bashir. (Bashir/Garak/Parmak)
- Notions by ssorrell - explores the rebuilt Cardassia and Cardassian customs. (Bashir/Garak/Parmak, Garak/Lok)
- Some Speculations on Cardassian Anatomy (2001)
- new fan theory generated with @calamitylena: cardassians are nocturnal. by calamitylena and shevathegun
- Cardassian military uniforms are so bulky because they contain heating and cooling elements. by spyrograph
- Kardasi according to tinsnip and Vyc by Tinsnip and Vyc - a construction of a main Cardassian language, based on work by galileoace, Timothy Miller and RunicCode.
- Guide to the Cheða / Chedha Constructed Language by Cân Cennau - a construction of a minority Cardassian language, set in the northern peninsula of Indar/Enðarh
Dukat by Cyndy Collins, 1999
External Resources for Further Reading
- Institute of Alien Studies: Cardassian Orientation Studies
- Cardassian entry on Memory Alpha (canon resource)