|Creator:||Developed for TV by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby|
|Date(s):||14 December 2015 – Present|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||The Expanse (TV series) page on Wikipedia|
The Expanse (novel series) page on Wikipedia
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Expanse is a TV show based on the science fiction book series of the same name by James S.A. Corey.
Set 200 years in the future, humanity has colonised the solar system. With Mars and Earth on the brink of war, the OPA (Outer Planets Alliance) is caught in the middle, fighting for Belter rights. Characters from various factions are drawn into a conspiracy that threatens all of humanity, as they try to protect their own people.
On Ceres, Detective Joe Miller searches for a missing Earther Julie Mao. Meanwhile the crew of the Canterbury discover a new threat when responding to a distress beacon on an abandoned ship.
- Joe Miller, a detective on Ceres assigned to find Julie Mao
- James Holden, an Earther and the captain of the Rocinante
- Alex Kamal, a Martian and the pilot of the Rocinante
- Naomi Nagata, a Belter and the Rocinante's engineer
- Amos Burton, an Earther and the mechanic of the Rocinante
- Julie Mao, the missing daughter of business tycoon Jules-Pierre Mao
- Chrisjen Avasarala, UN Deputy Under-Secretary of Executive Administration
- Bobbie Draper, a Martian Marine gunnery sergeant
- Drummer, initially Head of Security at Tycho Station
- Clarissa Mao, Julie's sister
- Sadavir Errinwright, UN Under-Secretary of Executive Administration
- Fred Johnson, "The Butcher of Anderson Station," and an OPA leader
- Anderson Dawes, an OPA leader
- Cotyr, Avasarala's spy and bodyguard
- Prax, a botanist on Ganymede
- Belter a person born on a station in the asteroid belt
- Duster or Martian, a person born on Mars
- Earthers a person born on Earth
- Welwala derogatory term in Belter Creole, meaning planet lover
- Beltalowda word in Belter Creole, meaning the people of the belt.
The Expanse is often described as a critically acclaimed show, with a cult following particularly among members of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) community. A large amount of fan activity focuses on discussion of theories, episodes and characters; with fans of the books and TV series organising on sites like Reddit.
Fans of show often refer to themselves and their fandom as Screaming Firehawks. It's a name that character Alex Kamal originally suggested in canon, for the ship that eventually became the Rocinante.
Cosplay is a popular activity among Expanse fans. Many cosplay their favourite characters at conventions, with Mars, OPA and Cantebury uniforms common. In October 2018, fan Christina Ward organized The Expanse Cosplay Week 2018 on Twitter. Submissions were taken on Twitter using the hashtag ExpanseCosplayWeek2018. See @ExpanseCosplay.
The Expanse Fandom Exchange was organized by Tumblr user the-roci in 2018. The exchange was open to several different types of creative format, including fics, gifsets, fanart, playlists and vids. See Announcement post.
#Save the Expanse
Midway through the third season, Syfy announced that it would not be renewing The Expanse for a fourth season. Many reports suggest that the decision was influenced by the fact Syfy did not hold the streaming rights for the series, and not enough fans were watching the show live.
Fans immediately began to organise a campaign to save the expanse. An online petition encouraging Netflix or Amazon to pick up the series gained over 130,000 signatures. Crowdfunding campaigns raised money to fly a Save the Expanse banner over Amazon studios, and to launch a model of the Rocinante ship to the edge of space. Several celebrities who are Expanse fans, including George R.R. Martin, Will Wheaton and Patton Oswalt, tweeted their support for the series.
The cast and crew of the Expanse were also very active on social media during this time, particularly Cas Anvar who plays Alex; thanking fans for their campaign and encouraging live viewings.
Amazon picked up the Expanse season 4 in May 2018. In July 2019, the streaming service gave the series an early renewal for a fifth season, before its fourth season had aired, leading to much fan speculation.
- Pirate B is a fan of the show and he made a direct appeal to Amazon's Jeff Bezos in Belter, with subtitles for those not fluent in the fictional language.
- One Week Of Save The Expanse - Here's what happened discussion on Reddit.
- Graphics showing social media engagement with #SavetheExpanse created by reddit user zuzilla10.
- An Extended Retrospective on the #SaveTheExpanse Campaign Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 by Ed Akselrud and Joe Hunstone (August 2018).
Common Tropes & Storylines
- Martian Sponsorship Programme AU: A very small number of works employ this AU setting, which was originally created by Szcay. In this AU, Mars lost the war against Earth. Martian expatriates are now required to have an Earther sponsor in order to work and live outside Mars. These works can be dark fics and resemble Slavery AUs.
- White Collar War Crimes by Szcay, An AU where the protomolecule has been destroyed, but it has already disturbed the balance of the system. Earth and Mars are launched into war, lasting only a few bitter months before Mars is defeated. Now the unchallenged masters of the system, Earth demands reparations from the defeated nation that affects the crew of the Roci in ways they couldn’t imagine. (Amos Burton/Alex Kamal)
- The Expanse || Dream Of Peace by Zurik 23M
- The Expanse - Broken Crown by Jessica Ver
- The Expanse Joe Miller/Julie Mao | Star Waves by Still Waters
- The Expanse || A War Built On Lies by Zurik 23M
- The Expanse Series Fan Trailer - #SaveTheExpanse by Ed A. - Litoshq
- Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth by Runawaynun
- Naomi and Amos by CaitlinCrady
- The Expanse - Miller by AsukaRin
- I dreamed that I was racing by VarshaVijayan
- The Empress by fluorescentwolf
- Forlath Grey's web comic series parodying the Expanse.
Archives & Fannish Links
- The Expanse works on Ao3
- The Expanse Series - James S. A. Corey works on Ao3
- The Expanse works on ff.net
- Expanse Crossovers pn ff.net
- The Expanse subreddit on Reddit
- SaveTheExpanse.org, a fansite.
- AS ‘THE EXPANSE’ OWNERS TALK WITH AMAZON, FANS READY A ROCI MODEL FOR SPACE TRAVEL posted on 22/5/18, accessed on 24/5/2018.
- The Expanse: George RR Martin, Will Wheaton, and an astronaut call on Amazon and Netflix to renew show posted on 18/05/2018, accessed 54/05/2018.
- ‘The Expanse’ Moves to Amazon for Season 4 posted on 25 May 2018, accessed on 27 May 2018.
- The Expanse renewed for Season 5, discussion on Reddit.