Talk:Star Trek: Alternate Original Series
What to call the next Star Trek movie page?
Anyone have a good name for the next movie? Apparently it's Star Trek 2 and/or Star Trek into Darkness, which makes this name even more of a standout. Anyway, whatever it's called, please link to Benedict Cumberbatch --msilverstar (talk) 06:03, 28 November 2012 (UTC)
2009 film? There has to be a better name than that for this page.
- Yeah, but which one should be the main article name and which the redirects? The fandom hasn't settled on a name for that continuity yet, and I can't even make out a somewhat clear frontrunner. I've seen Star Trek: Reboot, Star Trek XI, and ST:AOS (Star Trek: Alternate Original Series, I think?) all frequently and also New Trek, even NuTrek... there are probably others.--Ratcreature 05:25, 21 May 2009 (UTC)
- *nods* Yeah, the problem is that the movie isn't officially ST XI, it's just "Star Trek," but since there's already Star Trek (the fandom as a whole), Star Trek (the original series), and Star Trek The Motion Picture, calling this page "Star Trek" probably isn't going to do it. I think my vote would be for "Star Trek (2009)" until fandom comes up with a consensus name for it, but I'm open to suggestions.--Penknife 11:47, 21 May 2009 (UTC)
- I've also seen ST:TOR -- "Star Trek: The Original Reboot," which is satisfying inasmuch as it fits the shape of other fannish actonyms (ST:TOS, ST:TNG) but isn't necessarily easy to parse. *g* Kass 14:37, 21 May 2009 (UTC)
- I think I've seen AOS a few times, but this fandom is fairly resistant to acronyms so far (at least where I've been hanging out). I'd say it gets called "Reboot" more than anything else, with a side of "Star Trek XI".--Æthel 15:51, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
- It's being called Reboot (or ST XI) pretty consistently on LJ, but ASCEML went for AOS for itself and the Trekiverse archive, and other mailing lists picked that up pretty promptly -- it's apparently very widespread in mailing list based fandom. We may want to stick with "Star Trek (2009)" as the most neutral (... since no one uses it *g*) and just redirect everything else there, with a paragraph at the top listing all of the various names for it.
Other items to add here: RPS, ontd_startrek, GQMFs? That whole side of the fandom seems to have as many roots in celebrity fandom as "traditional" media fandom, which I think makes it all the more interesting. Anyone done any meta on this?--Æthel 15:51, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
"does not affect the preexisting Star Trek canon"?
I think the statement that it does not affect existing Trek canon is wrong. Maybe not during the TOS timeline, but now in the original universe Romulus fell victim to that supernova and Ambassador Spock vanished through that wormhole. Clearly that has a quite significant impact on the larger main timeline Trek canon.--Ratcreature 15:29, 1 August 2009 (UTC)
- I think that statement is intended to refer to all Trek canon that occurs BEFORE Romulus is destroyed in the prime universe--that is, all existing Trek canon before XI came out, since the destruction of Romulus must occur after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis. But some clarification might be in order.--Æthel 19:38, 1 August 2009 (UTC)
Reorga Star Trek Pages
No, no, the Kirk/Spock page belongs to Star Trek: The Original Series! ^^° Please move it back. --Doro 18:36, 3 January 2010 (UTC)
- fixed, my head's swimming, and I'm glad you're afloat! :-) Mrs. Potato Head 18:45, 3 January 2010 (UTC)
- I'm so glad I made that list! @_@
where's the Spock (2009) love?
Surely someone must like him well enough to make a stub page....? I've never even seen the movie --msilverstar 21:23, 16 July 2010 (UTC)
- Someone does. I made a stub.--æthel 22:35, 16 July 2010 (UTC)
With the next movie in the reboot series due out in a few months, I think it would be useful to have a discussion on an appropriate name for this page. The two 3-letter codes that are commonly used are STR (Star Trek reboot) and from ASCEML, AOS (alternative original series). Personally I think STR is more intuitive/easier to guess. Thoughts? amandawarrington (talk) 20:10, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
- In general we do not name pages by the acronym when it can be spelled out, unless the fandom really is only called by the acronym (e.g. Lotrips, J2). It looks like our main options for renaming this page are Star Trek Reboot and Star Trek: Alternate Original Series. We should go with whatever is the most popular (I suspect the latter, but I am out of the loop).--æþel (talk) 05:48, 12 January 2013 (UTC)
- A search on Google putting the terms in quote marks elicited 1.3m hits for Star Trek Reboot, and just over 300k for Star Trek Alternate Original Series. I notice on AO3, their original tag for the movie was Star Trek (2009) but they have more recently added Star Trek: Alternate Original Series (Movies) which is more accurate since the movies aren't an alternate series. The problem with it, though, is it's so long! amandawarrington (talk) 10:24, 12 January 2013 (UTC)
I too would like to see this page renamed. Personally, I like Star Trek: Reboot with the colon because it's consistent with the other ST pages. I almost never see AOS written out so "Star Trek: Alternate Original Series" would seem a little weird to me. --sparc (talk) 02:36, 3 April 2013 (UTC)
- So, the movie's out now, so we should rename. Star Trek: Reboot okay?--æþel (talk) 00:19, 28 July 2013 (UTC)
- The fanlore category is Star Trek AOS (and I think Spock (AOS) looks better), so I think it would be better to use Star Trek: Alternate Original Series for consistency. I've seen it more frequently as well, and I definitely don't recall ever seeing the reboot referred to after a colon. Sungabraverday (talk) 06:27, 28 July 2013 (UTC)