Thank you for your work on the MsScribe/Charlotte Lennox pages! MeeDee and I were working on it, but she has been waylaid by serious computer issues. :-( Any and all assistance is wonderful. --MPH (talk) 23:27, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- My pleasure! I think it's a great idea to get those pages as documented/backed-up as possible. I keep meaning to work more on them but unfortunately I've been super busy lately... Hopefully soon! --sparc (talk) 19:59, 17 April 2014 (UTC)
- Thank you for working on it! It's a topic I've been eying for a while but I was never really sure how to handle it, since it's all so ridiculously complicated. But you really helped to untangle things :) --sparc (talk) 01:48, 4 June 2014 (UTC)
name switch out
- Just sent you an email --sparc 21:19, 9 September 2014 (UTC)
That's so funny, you were working on Check Please! while I was working on Zimbits, we both cite the toastystats post but I think in similar ways. Please fix zimbits if anything's wrong. --msilverstar (talk) 02:29, 18 April 2016 (UTC)
- Hah, awesome! I was thinking that Zimbits needed a page but didn't have the energy to make one, so thank you!! It looks like a great start :) --sparc 02:56, 18 April 2016 (UTC)
- I believe in you! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me privately or to consult the gardeners' list--the other gardeners are always happy to give help or input :) Good luck and welcome aboard! --sparc 04:08, 6 May 2016 (UTC)
Hello there friend. I was just wondering... how much canon is the right amount?
I noticed recently that you said there was too much on the Barret Wallace page, so it got me curious.
Oh, and also. If possible, would you be able to let me know where I've got it right, if anywhere?
- Hi Kennisiou! Thank you for all your work on those Final Fantasy character pages, they're off to a great start :).
- Determining how much canon information to include can definitely be tricky. The main rule is that the emphasis of a Fanlore page should always be on the fandom, not the canon. (Other wikis and sites already do a great job of documenting canon, so we can include links to those sites instead of recreating the work.) You usually need some canon information for context, but it should be more of an overview than a play-by-play of canon, and it shouldn't overwhelm the page. Fanlore's Help page on character articles has some more info.
- I added the notice to the Barrett Wallace page because right now the canon section is the only content on the page. But it does seem to me that the canon section would be too long even with additional fandom content to help balance it... I would probably keep it to about 50% of what it is now; we usually recommend "a few paragraphs". But it's always subjective, and it depends a lot on what the fandom focuses on. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer! I hope that helps a little :) --sparc 03:19, 21 June 2016 (UTC)
Ahh, I see. Yeah, I can understand that it's nebulous territory at best, because obviously bigger fandoms would require more detail than smaller ones, etc.
I did think from the start that I had too much there, however. Thanks for the indication. :)
James Bond/Q Changes
Hello, I'm Chestnut NOLA and updated the James Bond/Q page. I was wondering why all the links to the various films and actors were removed. They are all now empty links. Best, The Nut.
- Hi Chestnut NOLA! Thank you for all the work you did on the James Bond/Q page. My intention was simply to update it to fit Fanlore's house style regarding links to external sites. On wikis in general, it's usually desirable to use internal links instead of external links in cases where links could go to another page on the wiki, because a wiki depends on links to and from other pages on the wiki to function and grow.
- It is true that some pages that have internal links to them have not been created yet, but including these "red" links are still useful because they tell other editors that the pages need to be added. I did leave links to Wikipedia articles in places where the topic may be unlikely to get a Fanlore article, e.g. for certain actors. The actor links I changed are to existing Fanlore pages. I changed the film links to internal links for consistency because Casino Royale already has a page and I think Skyfall, at least, deserves one too. I also changed character links to internal links, because those definitely should get Fanlore pages. A lot of it is personal preference though! Maybe we can talk about specific changes and solicit input from other editors on the article's talk page. (P.S. - You can sign your comments on talk pages with four tildes, like this:
--~~~~) --sparc 02:24, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
Thank you so much for your friendly welcome and for your work setting up a Cabin Fever page! Fanlore seems to be a very friendly community! I'm sure I'll enjoy being a part of it! :)
Just wanna day thanks for fixing my pages Sparc. I wasn’t even sure what category Nuzlocke belonged to lol.
- No problem at all, thank you for all your work on those pages! I was surprised there wasn't already a Nuzlocke page, I'm so glad you started it :) --sparc 02:35, 8 August 2019 (UTC)
About the templates
Sorry about messing that up. I am not hundred percent sure about fanlore etiquette yet, and feel bad about making more work for you. That wasn't my intention and I hope to do better in the future. I'll go and clean up those pages. Sanadi (talk) 14:26, 18 February 2020 (UTC)
- No need to apologize! I just wanted to give you a heads up and not just edit a bunch of your pages without explanation. I've also opened up a discussion at Help talk:Pairing pages/Template to see if anyone else has thoughts about those templates. Thanks for all your work on Fanlore, Sanadi! --sparc 01:54, 19 February 2020 (UTC)
A Q of H
sparc, do you happen to remember if the disambiguation you made here was for the Star Wars zine or the Star Trek story? 21:34 A Question of Honour (diff | hist) . . (+33) . . Sparcicle (Talk | contribs | block) (Redirected page to A Question of Honor) --MPH (talk) 13:56, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
- A Question of Honour didn't exist before, I just made a new redirect to A Question of Honor because we have both spellings on that page. Both the zine and the Star Trek story were already disambiguated. --sparc 15:07, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
Hi! Could you give me some pointers on how to expand the Mag7 2016 page? What kind of content needs to be added? Thanks, F
- Hey! I added the Expand template to replace Template:Stub, since the article was longer than a stub (which generally refers to bare-bones pages). Honestly it's a pretty subjective tag (all articles could use expanding!) and can probably be removed if you don't think there are any obvious gaps in information to be added about the fandom (and you would probably know better than me ;)). In general though, I would look for some history of how the fandom grew, any popular communities/Tumblrs/etc, how it relates to the original Mag7 fandom, that kind of thing. Help:Fandoms has more suggestions about the kinds of things that can be added to fandom pages. I hope that helps -- And welcome to Fanlore! --sparc 02:29, 26 February 2020 (UTC)
Hey there Sparc, thanks as always for your help on whatever additions I’ve made. I just need to point out one tiny error though; Fran is a character from final fantasy XII, not VI. Given how you were editing a whole bunch of FF6 pages though, I can see how the mistake was made. Thanks again :)
- Thanks for catching that! I've moved it to the correct name. --sparc 20:18, 30 April 2020 (UTC)
Hi! Due to the fanlore bingo project, I'm stopping by to say hello. And also thanks for sending me a thanks on one of my edits (quite a while ago, Hermione/Bellatrix. It was really encouraging since I was still mostly messing around. :) -- Error cascade (talk) 05:21, 12 June 2020 (UTC)
- Very belated - but hi back! I'm very glad you found the thanks encouraging and have stuck around because I've really enjoyed all your edits. I love seeing more HP content especially; it's been my main fandom for ages but there's always so much more to discover (and add to Fanlore xD) --sparc 03:17, 7 July 2020 (UTC)
^ Same deal. Saying hi for this year's bingo :) You left a thanks on a recent edit of mine as well and it's always encouraging to get one even for the tiniest of edits. While I'm here I might as well ask, since I've been confused for a bit - after you click "thank," do you then have to click "Yes" on "Send public thanks for this edit? Yes No" for it to actually go through, or is a public thanks something else? -- LaserBeam1 (talk) 22:31, 12 June 2021 (UTC)
- Hi! I'm a big fan of the thanks feature (even though I don't remember to use it as much as I should!), and it's nice to hear my thanks are appreciated in return :) I believe you do have to click "Yes" for the thanks to go through - the public part just means that it will automatically appear on Special:Log/thanks. --sparc 01:15, 16 June 2021 (UTC)
Disambiguation page for Beetlejuice
Hey there, I noticed you were the last person to edit the disambiguation page and was hoping to get your input. I have been working on the Fanlore pages for that franchise for the past couple weeks but seeing as how the fandom is split between four different sources (film, toon, musical and “Revue“) would it be out if the question to build a page dedicated to the entire fandom as a whole that included these off shoots? As opposed to directing people to the disambiguation page, I mean. I am still learning the ways of Fanlore. BD-Z (talk) 05:44, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- Hi! Welcome to Fanlore and thanks for all your work on the Beetlejuice pages - they're really coming together :) When I made that disambiguation page, the only page that existed so far was Beetlejuice (musical) so I thought we needed a kind of landing page. I think it makes sense to turn it into a page on overall Beetlejuice fandom now that we have so much more content on the wiki. (Fandoms like Star Trek do this too.) I went ahead and moved the disambiguation page to make way for the general Beetlejuice page to expand. --sparc 03:56, 10 September 2020 (UTC)
Hi, Sparcicle! Thanks for creating a new page for Beetlejuice. You've earned a Stub September badge for creating a new stub.
Fanlore Bingo 2021
- Hello and welcome! To learn more about Fanlore, check out the New Visitor Portal and Fanlore FAQ. If you're looking for inspiration for pages to contribute to, you can look at what other users have added to the Fanlore Wish List. If you need help, you can comment on any talk page or contact the Fanlore Gardeners. Good luck! --sparc 20:15, 5 July 2021 (UTC)