|Creator:||the ancient Greeks|
|Date(s):||c. 900 BCE onward|
|Country of Origin:||Greece|
|External Links:||Greek mythology at Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Greek Mythology is the fandom focusing on the myths, literature, and religion of the ancient Greeks. The most common primary source texts for the fandom are Greek tragedy by Euripides, Sophocles, and Aeschylus, as well as the works of Homer and Ovid's Metamorphoses. Despite the lack of a single source text, it is sometimes considered a rarelit fandom.
The most common pairings include Achilles/Patroclus in slash and Hades/Persephone in het. Greek mythology (until 2013 combined with Roman mythology) is a perennially popular fandom at Yuletide, which has generated as many as 30 stories in one challenge.
Crossovers & fusions
Greek myth characters occasionally cameo in works in other fandoms, for example Cupid & Psyche appear in the Jeeves and Wooster story Deus Ex by innocentsmith. Numerous stories borrow the concept of the Greek afterlife, for example Across Dark Waters by Zimraphel (Silmarillion). Wonder Woman provides an excuse for fusions with DC Comics, such as In Darkest Light by Meljean Brook.
- Bakcheios by emilyenrose. Pentheus/Dionysus, Pentheus/Actaeon. kindkit writes Stunning, dark, gorgeous retelling of Pentheus's tragedy.
- Persephone Lied by Spuffyduds. Widely recommended Hades/Persephone poem
- Small Step For Man by Toft. Artemis/Apollo. samescenes writes in Multifandom Het Recs: My favourite mythology fics are ones that portray the gods like mortals, just bigger. These two are twins, with the intertwined destiny that accompanies such a thing. Apollo is callous and Artemis cold, Apollo shallow and material while Artemis is forever chaste. But they are subject to their own flaws, much like humans, and even though they may make mortal mistakes, they will never die.
- Thirteen Views of a Labyrinth by raspberryhunter. Ariadne & Icarus gen. kormantic writes A triumphant retelling of the Minotaur myth, Ariadne a princess with agency making her choices, and Icarus - no reckless boy is he.
- Five Futures Kassandra Saw and One that She Could Not by prozacpark. The events of The Iliad from the point of view of the women who were there.
- out flew the web by dance-at-bougival. The story of Ariadne told from her point of view.
There has also been much modern fiction based on Greek mythology that has gained fannish followings. This includes:
- Disney's Hercules
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians & Heroes of Olympus
- Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess, & Young Hercules
- Mary Renault's Ancient Greek novels
- Starcrossed saga
- Dark-Hunter Series
- The Song of Achilles
- Greek and Roman Mythology & Hellenistic Religion & Lore at AO3
- Greek Mythology at FanFiction.Net
- Thousand-Ships.net archive (defunct) and _thousandships community on LiveJournal
- classics_fandom on LiveJournal
- greek_love, an Achilles/Patroclus comm
- Temptation Waits by prozacpark, a Hector/Helen of Troy ship manifesto
- Greek Mythology tag at Amplificathon
- greek tag at godfic
- Greek Mythology memories at Rarelitslash
- Greek Mythology, Greek Mythology Fanfiction, Greek Mythology Fancast tags on Tumblr
- kindkit in Archive of Our Own: Bakcheios: Bookmarks (accessed 18 August 2014)
- het_reccers: "Small Step For Man" by toft (nc17) (accessed 18 August 2014)
- kormantic in Archive of Our Own: Thirteen Views of a Labyrinth: Bookmarks (accessed 18 August 2014)