Mental Disorders in Fanworks
|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||Hurt/Comfort, Angst, Dark, Disability Fic, Amnesia, Suicide in Fanworks|
|See Also:||List of Fan-fiction Kinks, Tropes, and Clichés, Ableism in Fandom|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fanfiction that focuses on a disorder are often in the Hurt/Comfort or angst genres. Abuse, Violence, Self Harm and Suicide Attempt often appear in these works which often has authors put trigger warnings for any readers that it might affect.
- Hanson: Living Up The Ghost by Nichole. Zac seeks treatment after a strugging with self injury and depression.
- One Direction/Radio 1 RPF: Not Your Fault But Mine by sunsetmog. Louis works through a depressive episode while in uni. (November 2014)
Mental Disorder Tags on AO3
Fanwork tags for various disorders on Archive of Our Own:
- Anxiety Disorder
- Anxiety Attacks
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Multiple Personalities
- Panic Attacks
- Social Anxiety
- Drusilla in the Buffyverse - delusional, as a result of prolonged psychological and physical torture by Angelus. Being a psychic novice nun forced to become a vampire probably doesn't help...
- Eeyore in Winnie the Pooh - is probably well known for his depression.
- Dexter Morgan in Dexter - initially believes himself to be a sociopath, but the final season of the TV series suggests that this is conditioned behavior, not a true psychological disorder.
- Julianne Simms of Breakout Kings is often praised for representation of various psychological disorders including social anxiety, panic disorder, and depression.
- Marvin the Paranoid Android in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy suffers depression.