|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||directedverse, BDSM verse, D/s AU|
|Related:||BDSM, Alternate Universe|
|See Also:||Knotting, Alpha/Beta/Omega, Dominance Hierarchy|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
BDSM AU is a type of alternate universe setting in fanfiction where D/s relationships are the norm, and sexual identity is understood in terms of BDSM power dynamics (e.g., top, sub) rather than sexual object choice (e.g. gay, straight). These stories normalize the BDSM desires of the characters and usually portray a 24/7-style relationship between the pairing. Not to be confused with slavefic, these stories are nearly always about fully consensual and societally supported kinky lifestyles.
In both stories, bisexuality is the norm and sexuality is classified according to dynamic; to illustrate how normalized BDSM sexuality is, Coming Home has Radek Zelenka come out as the only "monosexual" and "non-dynamic" character in the story (i.e. a vanilla heterosexual). Xanthe's story is also the origin of pairing the terms "top" and "sub" (in ordinary English usage, "top" goes with "bottom" and "sub" goes with "dom").
Xanthe's story also features a soulbond trope: Married couples can choose to become permanently "life-bonded." This trope doesn't appear in Helen's remix, but there have been a few stories in kink memes recently that combine soulbonding and bdsm aus with imprinting.
Xanthe's universe is a very utopian society and Helen's reinterpretation is very cynical, so BDSM AUs can be found anywhere on the continuum between these two points.
- General and Dr. Sheppard (SGA) by Xanthe, 2006
- Coming Home (SGA) by Xanthe, 2006
- Hiding in Plain Sight (SGA/NCIS crossover) by Xanthe, 2008
- Two Masters (NCIS) by Xanthe, 2011
- Possession (Suits) by Xanthe, 2011
- Some stories explicitly set in Xanthe's 'verse:
- Some stories that credit inspiration to this story:
- directedverse - aris_writing (House, M.D. and PotC). April 2007 - September 2008.
- Misdirected - Helens78 and Telesilla (Bill Fichtner/Sean Bean RPS). December 2006.
- Eminence Front - Helens78 and Kyuuketsukirui (Jude Law/Ewan McGregor RPS). December 2006 - February 2007.
- Ties That Bind (link) (SGA) by Keira Marcos, 2009 (WIP)
- you need someone (but it won't be me) and sequels - etothepii (Sherlock (BBC)). November 2010.
- Big Queer Directedverse - shiplizard (Dresden Files). August 2011.
- Take MOPP Off As Directed - derryderrydown (Generation Kill). September 2012
Several stories added a soulbond element:
- Let Them Talk (XMFC) by manic_intent, 2011
- Needles (XMFC) by skull_bearer, 2011
- You Had Me At Hello (The Avengers (Marvel)) by toestastegood, 2011
other stories, without clear inspiration and in other fandoms, soulbond examples, formatting
- John Sheppard's response: "Mono *and* non-dynamic? Man, you're pervy!" John laughed. "Where the hell do you go to *meet* people, Radek?"