Timeline of RPF Meta
See also Category:RPF Meta.
- "Groupie" by Jenny Fabian, a thinly-disguised RPF, for-profit book, see Groupie; archive link, a June 2013 blog post about this famous book
- Slashers of Silicon Valley, essay at Fanfic Symposium by Dara Sloan (uses the term "actor slash") (1999)
- Any *NSYNC/XF crossovers????; archive link (uses the term "Real Person fic") (2000)
- alt.fan.david-duchovny › ActorFic: adore it, deplore it, or "what's that?"; archive link (July 2000)
- Real People in Slash by Purity
- The issue of real-people fic, slash in particular by Twilight (February 29, 2000)
- RPS Reality Check, essay at Fanfic Symposium by Dara Sloan (2001)
- RPS: Writing Under the Influence, essay at Fanfic Symposium by Kit Mason (2001)
- RPS, reality, hypocrisy, and delusion by versaphile (5-22-02)
- Miscellaneous ramblings by pandarus (7-20-02)
- Real Person Fic justification in Fannish Theory Forum, , discussion started by Purple Popple at FanDomination.Net, eight pages of comments ( 9-26-02)
- All About the Pairings, or From the Outside In, essay at Fanfic Symposium by Sandy Keane (uses the term "RPS") (10-1-02)
- Look! It's the reality/fiction issue again by zarah5 (11-14-02)
- Fuck it. I'm going to have fun with lotrips. I don't care anymore. by marythefan (11-23-02)
- This whole TWoP brouhaha by Mayhem Parva (raincitygirl) (December 11, 2002)
- The moral choice of slash by gloriana (12-17-02), Archived version
- RPF discussion on Buffistas by embitca (12-22-02)
- REAL PEOPLE FICTION; reference link, a collection of links on Livejournal by cathexys between 2002 and 2005
- Why RP fic just isn't my bag, baby... by unanon (1-23-03) (offline, not archived)
- You can't be me, I'm a rock star by popfantastic (1-25-03) (offline, not archived)
- RPF by ms_manna (1-25-03) (offline, not archived)
- suitbly snarky yet light-hearted subject line by smallbeer (1-25-03) (offline, not archived)
- On Fictionalized Characters, Archived version by hesychasm (1-30-03)
- Because We Love Our Gods: Mythoi, Logoi, and Real People Slash, essay at Fanfic Symposium by joudama (February 4, 2003)
- A thin line between fantasy and delusion; archive link page 1, comments expanded; archive link, page 2; archive link, page 3 by esorlecar (224 comments) (February 2003)
- A thin line between fantasy and delusion, Archived version by esorlehcar (2-09-03)
- The end of taboo by julad (February 2003)
- Real Person Redux by bethbethbeth (February 14, 2003)
- Colonized Bodies, ; archive link by thete1 (2-15-03)
- I Don't Believe in Real People, essay at Fanfic Symposium by Justine (March 4, 2003)
- Sparkly Crossover, Archived version by frogspace (3-07-03)
- VeryDeadHistorical!RPS thoughts by damned_colonial (4-08-03) (offline, not archived)
- Trekkies And RPS, post and comments at alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated (April 17, 2003)
- [on rps] by pandarus (5-11-03) (offline, not archived)
- Celebrity Deathmatch: RPS vs. FPS by zarah5 (6-06-03) (offline, not archived)
- RPS, Boybands, and Dead Guy RPS, essay at Fanfic Symposium by Michelle Christian (June 21, 2003)
- Getting Real..., Archived version by savageseraph (6-22-03)
- Reality Sucks by ithiliana (6-22-03)
- An open destruction of Ginmar's argument--now on the rhetorical level! by jennyo (7-27-03)
- this is not the post you're looking for, Archived version by sinead (2003-07-28)
- this is not the post you're looking for by smallbeer (7-28-03) (offline, not archived)
- Getting It Off My Chest by lexin (07-30-03) (offline, not archived)
- OT: VMA blather, Archived version by cesperanza (8-31-03)
- Real Person Fanfic -- Opinions?; archive link page 1; archive link page 2, discussion at Fanficrants (August 2003)
- Fact, Fiction, and the Writer's Responsibility to the Truth, essay at Fanfic Symposium by nopseud (September 16, 2003)
- The steamy side of slash fiction, a repost at alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated of a Canadian article called "The steamy side of slash fiction: For many teenage girls, writing about pop culture figures is a way to examine issues of sex and sexuality" (includes actor Ian McKellen's comment: "I find nothing harmful in sharing fantasies about favourite characters or their interpreters - even real person stories seem unobjectionable as they are clearly fictional."") (September 2003)
- Popslash and canon., Archived version by halimede (10-01-03)
- Oboebyrd's Guide to Writing Formulaic Fanfiction Chapter 16: Guide to the MaryBloom, (1-28-04)
- romance, Archived version by bettyp (1-23-04)
- real people fic by lightgetsin (2-02-04) (offline, not archived)
- all my pretty little toys..., Archived version by trixiesfic (2-09-04)
- Real Person Slash; archive link, discussion at Slash Philosophy (February 9, 2004)
- RPS and Canon by and_chocolate (2-13-04) (offline, not archived)
- I have been known to read RPF. This rant is more an article, a… ; archive link page 1; archive link page 2, discussion at Fanficrants (March 2004)
- RPS--Is it About the Fiction or the Fad? by improperlydone (7-11-04) (offline, not archived)
- The lines between the public and the private are blurring, and often converging by Hope (angstslashhope) (mentions PhotoGate) (October 15, 2004)
- New thought on RPF, Archived version by telesilla (11-23-04)
- Thoughts about RPS. (Feel free to run away screaming.) by sprat (3-14-05) (offline, not archived)
- It's Different Because They're *People*!, Archived version by neadods (3-16-05)
- Informed consent, IRBs, and RPF by idlerat (3-22-05)
- RPS: The Issues., discussion in fanthropology (3-22-05)
- RPS: Another Persepctive, Archived version by hederahelix (3-22-05)
- some anti-RPS arguments that I do not understand; Archive by queenofhell (2005-03-24)
- RPF Redux, Archived version by wemblee (4-05-05)
- Writing RPS/RPF: Some Side Effects by carlanime (5-04-05) (offline, not archived)
- Real People in Fake Stories; WebCite, scroll down, Ask MetaFilter (May 20, 2005)
- Ewan's penis (and other things), Archived version by flambeau (5-26-05)
- In which I ramble on about RPS, the do's the don'ts, the wills the won'ts, Archived version by stoney321 (6-29-05)
- Let's talk RPS in open debate by telesilla (July 21, 2005)
- What I like about RPS by kyuuketsukirui (7-21-05) (offline, not archived)
- RPF?! (post), posted to Fanthropology (August 11, 2005)
- wondering about RPS by ratcreature (8-13-05)], Archived version
- Authors as Real People by branchessays (9-10-05) (offline, not archived)
- The RPS Post by lannamichaels (9-16-05)
- RPS/RPF - I should be doing that. Cause it's wrong. by oceana_ (10-17-05) (offline, not archived)
- The Whackadoodle Post, Newly Expanded For Your Reading Pleasure by sperrywink (10-29-05) (offline, not archived)
- Real People Fiction, essay at Fanfic Symposium by Kristina (October 30, 2005)
- On Real People in Fiction (and other places) by thelastgoodname (11-10-05)
- Are we all 'going to hell in a handbasket'?: How to write guilt-free RPS by sine_que_non767 (12-01-05) (offline, not archived)
- RPS thoughts by ajhalluk (12-03-05) (offline, not archived)
- This just in! All fic takes place in an alternate universe! Film at 11!, Archived version by telesilla (12-04-05)
- Busse, Kristina. 2005. “‘Digital get down’: Postmodern Boy Band Slash and the Queer Female Space.” In Eroticism in American Culture, edited by Cheryl Malcolm and Jopi Nyman, 103–25. Gdansk: Gdansk University Press.
- McGee, Jennifer. 2005. "'In the End, It's All Made Up': The Ethics of Fanfiction and Real Person Fiction." In Communication Ethics, Media, and Popular Culture, edited by Phyllis M. Japp, Mark Meister, and Debra K. Japp, 161–80. New York: Peter Lang.
- Pop idols trade licks, Online 'fanfic' trend sees rock stars united in lust by Kitty Empire (February 26, 2006)
- RPF is not as weird as the mainstream media; archive link, comments at Fanthropology (March 2006)
- On RPF/RPS, and Why Real People Are Just Better by phaballa (August 24, 2006)
- all i do is talk; archive link by winterlive (December 5, 2006)
- The Hidden RPF (not FPF, sorry); Wayback, post at Fanthropology by alias_sqbr (December 18, 2006)
- Busse, Kristina. 2006. "'I'm Jealous of the Fake Me': Postmodern Subjectivity and Identity Construction in Boy Band Fan Fiction." In Framing Celebrity: New Directions in Celebrity Culture, edited by Su Holmes and Sean Redmond, 253–67. London: Routledge.
- Busse, Kristina. 2006. "My Life is a WIP on My LJ: Slashing the Slasher and the Reality of Celebrity and Internet Performances." In Fan Fiction and Fan Communities in the Age of the Internet, edited by Karen Hellekson and Kristina Busse, 207–24. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland.
- Lackner, Eden, Barbara Lynn Lucas, and Robin Anne Reid.2006. “Cunning Linguists: The Bisexual Erotics of Words/Silence/Flesh.” In Fan Fiction and Fan Communities in the Age of the Internet, edited by Karen Hellekson and Kristina Busse, 189–206. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland.
- Compartmentalization and RPF; Archive for page one; page two; Archive for page two; page three; Archive for page three by FairestCat (2007)
- this is what i do when i should be cleaning; archive link by turnyourankle (2007)
- [ an inspired word will come across your tongue ]; archive link page 1 by winterlive (2007)
- RPF Wives and Girlfriends, Archived version by hector rashbaum (2007)
- In Defense of Wives and Girlfriends, Archived version by fairestcat (2007)
- On FBR/MCR Bandom and the Fourth Wall by lady sorka (2008), Archived version 
- History of Real Person Fic - Fan History Wiki Entry, Archived version (2008)
- ActorFic - Fan History Wiki, Archived version (2008)
- What is RPF Anyway? by yourlibrarian (2008)
- RPS in The Sentinel Fandom? (2008)
- Celebrity gossip versus "Real Person Fiction" by princessofgeeks (June 2008)
- RPF: Actors, Characters, Writers, Readers by wendelah1 (September 19, 2008)
- RPF - just stop doing it., Archived version by khyber (2009)
- Real Person Fic (RPF) - Fan History Wiki, Archived version
- Don't think twice, it's all right: ten easy excuses for RPF writers; archive link by emily shore (2009)
- Real Person Friction; archive link by wendelah1 (2009)
- Are novelists entitled to use real-life characters? by Guy Gavriel Kay, 20 August 2009, Archived version
- Flegel, Monica, and Jenny Roth. 2010. "Annihilating Love and Heterosexuality without Women: Romance, Generic Difference, and Queer Politics in Supernatural Fan Fiction." Transformative Works and Cultures, no. 4. http://dx.doi.org/10.3983/twc.2010.0133.
- Whither the Squick by yourlibrarian (February 2011)
- Serial Numbers in RPF by yourlibrarian (February 2011)
- Narrative in RPF by mistresscurvy (January 30, 2013)
- Arrow, V. 2013. "Real Person(a) Fiction." In Fic: Why Fanfiction Is Taking Over the World, edited by Anne Jamison, 323–31. Dallas: Smart Pop.
- Bore, Inger-Lise Kalviknes; Hickman, Jonathan. 2013. Continuing The West Wing in 140 characters or less: Improvised simulation on Twitter. Journal of Fandom Studies 1 (2): 219–38.
- Dare-Edwards, Helena Louise. 2014. ‘Shipping bullshit’: Twitter rumours, fan/celebrity interaction and questions of authenticity. Celebrity Studies. Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 521–524.
- Lam, Celia. 2014. Breaking the Fourth Wall: Dynamics of Fan Fiction Production. In Living in the Limelight: Dynamics of the Celebrity Experience, edited by Kylo Patrick R. Hart, 75–85. Oxford: The Inter-Disciplinary Press.
- Thomas, Bronwen. 2014. "Fans Behaving Badly? Real Person Fic and the Blurring of the Boundaries between the Public and the Private." In Real Lives, Celebrity Stories: Narratives of Ordinary and Extraordinary People across Media, edited by Bronwen Thomas and Julia Round, 171–85. New York: Bloomsbury.
- SOME THINGS THAT MAKE RPF UNIQUE, Archived version (2015)
- Canon Shipping vs. Fanon Shipping, Archived version (2015)
- Shipping Real People is OK… As Long As There’s Boundaries; WebCite (2015)
- On social media, ‘Mary Sue RPF’ and consent; WebCite (2015)
- Why Do Adult Women Love One Direction Slash Fanfiction? by Miranda Popkey (August 26, 2015)
- Pete Doherty on Libertines erotic fan fiction: 'It's weird, suddenly my cock will be in Carl's ear', Archived version (August 27, 2015)
- RPF Today: RPF Outside the US and Youtube RPF, Archived version (Nov 22, 2015)
- Hagen, Ross. 2015. "'Bandom Ate My Face': The Collapse of the Fourth Wall in Online Fan Fiction." Popular Music and Society 38(1): 44–58. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03007766.2014.974326.
- Jeewa, Zakia, and Jean-Philippe Wade. 2015. Playing with Identity: Fan Role Playing on Twitter. Alternation: Interdisciplinary Journal for the Study of the Arts and Humanities in Southern Africa. 22.2, pp. 216–240.
- Piper, Melanie. 2015. "Real Body, Fake Person: Recontextualizing Celebrity Bodies in Fandom and Film." Transformative Works and Cultures, no. 20. http://dx.doi.org/10.3983/twc.2015.0664.
- Waysdorf, Abby. 2015. "The Creation of Football Slash Fan Fiction." In "European Fans and European Fan Objects: Localization and Translation," edited by Anne Kustritz, special issue, Transformative Works and Cultures, no. 19. http://dx.doi.org/10.3983/twc.2015.0588.
- The Ethics of Real Person Fiction – FAN/FIC Magazine, Archived version (March 6, 2016)
- Is Real People FanFiction OK or Bad? by Kara Skinner Updated on August 1, 2016
- The Ethics of Real Person Fiction - The controversial genre and its ethical debates have a long history in fandom, March 6, 2016 by Malory Beazley
- Lantagne, Stacey M. 2016. When Real People Become Fictional: The Collusion of Trademark, Copyright, and Publicity Rights in Online Stories About Celebrities. Journal of Law, Technology & the Internet, Vol. 7. pp. 39–78.
- Hoad, Catherine. 2017. Slashing through the boundaries: Heavy metal fandom, fan fiction and girl cultures. Metal Music Studies, Vol. 3, No 1, pp. 5–22.
- Lovelock, Millicent. 2017. You & I: One Direction, Fans and the Co-Construction of Identity. M.A. Thesis, University of Otago.
- Popova, Milena. 2017. "'When the RP gets in the way of the F': Star Image and Intertextuality in Real Person(a) Fiction." Transformative Works and Cultures, no. 25. http://dx.doi.org/10.3983/twc.2017.1105.
- Wang, Yiran. 2017. Resistance and Compromise under Power Structures of Sexuality: A Case Study on Real Person Slash Fans in China. M.S. Thesis, Lund University.
- The Dubious Ethics of "Real-Person Fiction" by Tonya Riley (January 2018)
- Fathallah, Judith. 2018. Reading real person fiction as digital fiction: An argument for new perspectives. Convergence, pp. 1-19.