|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Single Parent AU, Single Guardian AU|
|Related:||Kid fic, Domestic, Family|
|See Also:||Courtship, Fluff, Angst, AU|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Single Parent is a fanwork trope in which one or more characters are single parents/guardians. It's often used as a way to get a pairing together. Usually the trope is part of an alternate universe or kid fic set in the future where one character (who does not have children in canon) has a child. In single parent AUs, the single parent may be a character who is a teenager in canon. However, the trope may be more prominent in fandoms that canonically have single parents, such as The 100 and Teen Wolf. RPF canons also feature a fair number of children of divorced parents. Canon single parents are often middle-aged, and canon-compliant single parent fanworks are more likely to be about parent-child relationships than a setup for romance. Note that the presence of canon single parents for a fandom in no way decreases the potential for single parent AUs.
- the blood of the covenant by jimlafleur, Bellarke, Bellamy is a single guardian of Octavia while Clarke is her teacher
- Between the Shelves by CheerUpLovely, Olicity - Oliver is a single parent, Felicity is a bookshop owner
- Another Time, Another Place by RighteousMaximus, Chrom/Avatar - Single parents Chrom and Robin meet through their kids.
- Home for the Holidays by lizleminem, Derek/Kira, Derek is a single parent.
- Ten Years (At Last) by lilpocketninja, Sheriff/Melissa, Melissa McCall meets John Stilinski ten years before their love story starts.