|Location:||Georgia, zombie apocalypse|
|Relationships:||Michonne (girlfriend), Carl Grimes (son), Judith Grimes (daughter), Daryl Dixon (right-hand-man), Lori Grimes (deceased wife)|
|Fandom:||The Walking Dead (TV series)|
|Other:||Played by Andrew Lincoln|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Rick Grimes is the fictional main character from the comic book series The Walking Dead and is portrayed by Andrew Lincoln in the AMC television series of the same name. He is a very popular, fan favorite character on the horror-drama series.
He has been forced to do unspeakable things and deal with such terrible tragedies that would drive any normal man insane. And yet, somehow, he’s still here. Somehow he still keeps pushing forward.
Rick Grimes is a fictional character and the protagonist in the comic book series The Walking Dead and in the television series of the same name, portrayed by Andrew Lincoln. Created by writer Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore, the character made his debut in The Walking Dead #1 in 2003. Rick Grimes is a small town sheriff's deputy who shares a son, Carl Grimes, with wife Lori Grimes. He awakens from a coma to find the world overrun with zombies, and a fight for survival ensues.
- Rick Grimes/Lori Grimes -- Canonical
- Rick Grimes/Shane Walsh/Lori Grimes -- Canonical love triangle
- Rick Grimes/Shane Walsh -- Canonical best friends and partners on the police force.
- Rick Grimes/Daryl Dixon ("Rickyl") -- Most popular pairing
- Rick Grimes/Andrea Harrison (rickandrea) -- Canonical in the comics only
- Rick Grimes/Michonne ("Richonne") -- Canonical in the TV series and most popular het pairing
- Rick Grimes/Negan ("Regan")
- Rick Grimes/Beth Greene ("Brick")
- Rick Grimes/Carol Peletier ("Carick")
- Rick Grimes/OFC -- Common on FanFiction.Net (FFN community)
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- No Zombie Apocalypse AU: Modern setting where no Zombie Apocalypse occurs, sometimes Rick is still with Lori, but most often they are divorced
- Prison: focusing on Rick's time at the prison and his transformation from leader to farmer
- Carl: concentrating on his relationship with his son and how it has changed over time
- PTSD: Rick trying to cope with various negative events that have impacted him
- Rick was called the Ricktator by fans after Season 2, because he made a speech about the group not being a democracy anymore
- He is sometimes refered to as the Ringleader in fanworks, after he was called that by Gareth in Season 4, Episode 16
- Rick was a member of the Atlanta Five
- Carol's banishment: There was division between fans over Rick's banishment of Carol. Many fans agreed with Rick's decision to banish Carol, believing she was untrustworthy and should not have acted alone when she killed Karen and David. However, others pointed out that Rick acted unilaterally without consulting other members of the council, and that other survivors had done equally horrific things and still been accepted as part of the group.
- Conservative leanings: To some Rick's decisions can be seen as politically conservative, especially when his group is accepted as part of the Alexandria Safe Zone. This can be illustrated by his ideas on bearing arms, boarder security and capital punishment. Although, it could be pointed out that Rick's actions make sense in the context of the Zombie Apocalypse. "Alexandria is a lot like America. Deanna is a lot like a Democrat. Rick Grimes and his clan are a lot like Republicans. They know the cost of freedom and peace. They've also acquired a realistic and cynical worldview from experiencing the raw, ruthless nature of human beings in a lawless environment."
- Deputy Rick Grimes, Archived version by The Art of Gard
- The Ringleader, Archived version by Chelsea Lowe
- Rick, Archived version by Artizblue
- Rick and Carl, Archived version by ashes-acedia
- The Walking Dead FANMADE 2 by PluemKP
- Evolution of Rick Grimes by Agi- Fanvids
- Rick Grimes || Afraid by Infinitex
- Human by walkerswerepeopletoo
- This scene is in some ways more terrifying than other scenes, Archived version by tchamblers
- the reason why rick didn’t act when negan said he was going to kill carl, Archived version by lorigrimes
Links & Resources
- Rick Grimes tag at Archive of Our Own
- Theme: Rick at The Walking Dead Fanfiction
- Rick Grimes - Fan Art at allthingstwd on Pinterest
- rick-grimes and rick-grimes-fan-art tags on Tumblr
- Rick Grimes fan art search results on Etsy