|Relationships:||Uther (father), Vivienne (mother), Arthur (half-brother), Morgause (half-sister), Gorlois (adopted father)|
|Other:|| Portrayed by Katie McGrath.|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Morgana begins the series as King Uther's ward and part of the nobility. She stands up to Uther for unfairly persecuting magic users and is affectionate toward her maid, Gwen. Morgana is haunted by nightmares and is kept from understanding that she has magical abilities including seeing the future. She later learns that she is the half-sister of Morgause and daughter of Uther. She and Morgause form an allegiance and she betrays Camelot. She is partly to blame for Uther's death (S04E03 - "The Wicked Day"), and has twice gain control of Camelot (S03 finale, S04 finale) but has been overpowered by Merlin, Arthur and his knights and forced to flee both times.
Some rarer pairings are
Morgana fanvids follow several tropes very strongly, depending on the series in which they were produced.
In the Series 1, a major trope were the gen "dreaming" vids, which used the framing device of Morgana's dreams. There were also pairing vids that showed Morgana's precarious relationships within the show and how she was torn between them. Many of these also used the "dreaming" framing device.
Some influential vids including one or both of these elements were:
- Something in the Wind by nel_ani (winner of the Camelot Music Video Awards 2008 in the category Morgana)
- Unsteady Ground by Cherryice (may have started the dreaming frame trend)
- Devil Said by Kiki miserychic (explicit Morgana/Gwen, but not a typical pairing vid)
- Half Sick of Shadows by Danegen
- It's Not Over Yet by Charmax (Morgana/Nimueh, could be seen as gen)
- Non Lievi Alchun by Lithiumdoll (Morgana/Gwen)
- Vemillion by BigMamaG (Morgana/Uther)
In Series 2, Morgana's increasing powers, her isolation and inability to control her magic, and the appearance of Morgause dramatically shifted vids into a more active, less dream-focused mode. These events also led to fewer purely romantic Morgana vids, though Merlin/Morgana pairings within Arthur/Gwen vids became far more common.
Influential Series 2-based vids include:
- Don't Talk, Morgana by Hollywoodgrrl (Morgana/Morgause)
- Bad Romance by Such_heights (Morgana/Morgause, Morgana/Gwen)
- Enough by stbacchus. A different choice, a different ending. Words: 1400.
- For In Thy Veins (the Runaway Mix) by noelia_g. "I'm magic, Morgana," Merlin says to her and she understands now, the way her skin reacts under his gaze, the way his fingers burn her skin even from inches away, where they're grasping the edge of her bed. Words: 1154
- I’ve Come Too Far To See The End by fictional_clue. Morgana finds out the Merlin is Emrys. She wants some answers. (They are both victims and killers, and Arthur stands, unharmed, amid the carnage.) Words: 2345
- A Different Dream by lady_ragnell. To prove a point, Uther marries Morgana to Merlin near the beginning of season one, and changes destiny as a result.
- I, I Was The Only One To Know by fiercynn. After they leave the throne room, Merlin tells Morgana he's going to stop her. Hate!sex ensues. Words: 2286
- Privilege by entangled_now. Morgana and Arthur are going to be the death of him. Words: 1788.
- Thrift by Anonymous. West, she fled, into the claws of the wind; west, beyond Camelot and Caerleon; west, where the sea broke against the land, low and grey and hungry. Words: 7330
- Timing Is Everything by jungle_ride. It’s been a year since Merlin and Morgana were exposed in Camelot and forced to leave. Morgana is eager to attack once more and claim her throne; Merlin however is waiting for a sign. Words: 2989
- Tumble Blind by samescenes. She doesn’t dream about Merlin. Words: 1027
- What Good Does It Do (Love Enough, Hate Enough) by misscam. There are not many tears shed for Uther Pendragon. A murder. A proposal. An attempted murder. Love, hate and all the choices they bring. Words: 3524
- The Ivy Crown by briar_pipe. Late one night, several prisoners escape from the dungeon, Arthur disappears, and fate takes a left turn. Morgana and Gwen are dragged along into a new world of intrigue, magic, and war. Words: 75255
- Because A Circle Has No Sides by woldy. In which there’s a thoroughly unsubtle plot device, a lot of kissing & Morgana has a plan. Words: 2500
- A Bend In The River by zephre. The runes are meant to protect you. Words: 2179
- in a quiet water’d land by such_heights. In which our heroes are waylaid by the elements and find themselves forced into an unexpected camping holiday. Words: 4800
- Quarter View by black_eyedgirl. It is different, now that there are four of them, and not only two. Words: 3400
- Descent Into Darkness] by Anonymous. Everyone still remembers the time when Morgana smiled and bowed like the good little princess she was.
- Untitled by Anonymous. Morgana has had dreams about Merlin since before coming to Camelot.
- Lancelot/Morgana: Desire Is Your Masquerade by nonisland. Merlin’s expression doesn’t change. “Gwen doesn’t know how to betray anyone.” He says it like he’d say water runs downhill, and it’s true, she knows it’s true because if anyone raised in Uther’s Camelot is pure and good and true it’s Gwen, but… Words: 3492
- Leon/Morgana: Before The Sun Breaks Another Day by AccordingToMel. Three months after her disappearance, Morgana returns to Camelot with a hidden agenda, but she's not the only one keeping secrets, and a series of unintended revelations forces her, Merlin & Arthur on an intertwined journey of revenge, redemption & love. Words: 115,087
- Gwen/Lancelot/Morgana: One and One, By and By by non_island. Gwen never wanted to have to choose. Words: 2500
- Morgana/Vivian: Be Wary Of Powerful Magic And Strong Drink by netgirl_y2k. The AU of Sweet Dreams where the love spell makes Vivian fall for Morgana. Words: 2350
- Gwen/Merlin/Morgana: The Flowers and The Bird by Ramasi. Merlin and Morgana practice magic with Gwen as an audience. Words: 1321
- Arthur/Gwen/Lancelot/Merlin/Morgana: Mesh by dh_chan. You can't always tell who is doing what when blindfolded. But Lancelot is a very quick learner. Words: 1856
- Arthur/Morgana: Finger Food by Anonymous - Written for the prompt: Arthur/Morgana, Arthur fingering Morgana during an important feast and making a big show of licking his fingers.
- Morgana/Morgause: Dreamsweepers
- Morgana by StarshipSorceress
- Morgana by ggns
- Morgana by jht888
- Morgana by v-impaler
- Morgana 02 by v-impaler
- How Not To Handle a Woman: The Problem(s) With Morgana by zahrawithaz
- The White Mists of Avalon: Thoughts on Morgana's Race by zahrawithaz
Art by tolbow created for the fic The Ivy Crown by briar_pipe, as part of Paperlegends
- needs link
- needs cite