|Name:||Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic マギ (Magi)|
|Date(s):||2009-2017 (manga), 2012-2016 (anime)|
|Medium:||webcomic, manga, anime|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Magi is a fantasy adventure manga series created by Shinobu Ohtaka. The franchise includes the original manga titled Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, a spin-off titled Magi: Adventure of Sinbad, and an anime which ran for two seasons.
- Alakou (Aladdin/Kougyoku)
- Alikou (Alibaba/Kougyoku)
- Alimor (Alibaba/Morgiana)
- Hakumor (Hakuryuu/Morgiana)
- Juhaku (Judar/Hakuryuu)
- Jukou (Judar/Kougyoku)
- Sharryamu (Sharrkan/Yamraiha)
- Sinja (Sinbad/Ja'far)
- Sinju (Sinbad/Judar)
- Sinseren (Sinbad/Serendine)
Most, as well as the most popular, Magi ships are slash ships. There are also many het ships, some of them being canon. Femslash is nearly non-existent in the Japanese fandom, although a few femslash ships, such as Koumor, Paimon/Hakuei and Leisah, have a small following in the English-speaking fandom. They are still rarepairs.
A ship war in the fandom existed between the ships Alimor (Alibaba/Morgiana), Hakumor (Hakuryuu/Morgiana), and Alikou (Alibaba/Kougyoku). Its origins were in the canonical love triangle between Alibaba, Morgiana, and Hakuryuu. Hakuryuu had an unrequited crush on Morgiana, who in turn had a crush on Alibaba. Despite Hakuryuu getting rejected by Morgiana early on, many held hopes that she might yet change her mind. A ship between Alibaba and Kougyoku gained support when the two became friends in canon. Because Hakumor and Alikou didn't get in each other's way, you could often see shippers of the two supporting each other against Alimor.
In chapter 314, Alimor was made canon. This resulted in many disappointed reactions from people who opposed the ship. The ship was criticized, among other things, for being too sudden or underdeveloped, being akin to a "Master/Slave" relationship, or suffering from the shounen trope of pairing the main male character with the main female character. In chapter 315, Aladdin's crush towards Kougyoku was revealed, further disappointing Alikou shippers.
While Alikou wasn't a very controversial ship, Hakumor gained itself a fair share of criticism as well, mainly regarding Hakuryuu's treatment of Morgiana and Alibaba. A lot of the fighting still circled around opposing Alimor and defending it.
The ship war existed mainly in the form of rant posts, and some didn't consider there to be any war at all. After the chapter 314 reveal, a Hall of Anal Devastation imgur album was collected of the angry reactions of mainly Hakumor and Alikou shippers arguing against Alimor. After the ending of the manga, an updated version was posted, including people's anti-Alimor and anti-Alakou posts from after chapter 314 as well as after the final chapter 369.
- Children of Solomon by Otaku of the Century (2014–2019)
- 【MAD】 Magi " A tale of six trillion years and overnight story " 【マギ謝肉宴】千年と一夜物語【手描きマギ】 by 安斉 (2013)
- 【マギ謝肉宴】 DEAD END 【マギMAD】 by 板猫 (2012)
- 【手描き】煌帝国のみなさんがコーラを振るだけじゃなくなった【マギ】 by 笹山 (2013)
Archives & Fannish Links
- "Magi 314" by bensolo-enthusiast. Archive link.
- "From the looks of it it seems as if the wedding..." by naokiichigo. Archive link.
- "Magi 314" by lendra-chan. Archive link.
- "Hakumor" by morgiana-shinoa. Archive link.
- "Alimor/Hakumor Drama" by bitchbrows. Archive link.
- "I have been seeing quite some people complaining..." by eleore. Archive link.