possibly a werewolf
|Title/Rank:|| Gryffindor House|
Part of Dumbledore's Army
|Relationships:|| Ron Weasley (ex-boyfriend)|
Parvati Patil (best friend)
Seamus Finnigan (Yule Ball date)
Hermione Granger (roommate/classmate)
Harry Potter (classmate)
Sybill Trelawney (favored professor)
|Other:||born c. 1980|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Attack by Greyback
During the Battle of Hogwarts at the end of Deathly Hallows, Lavender falls from a balcony and is attacked by Fenrir Greyback. Because Lavender is described as "feebly stirring" after being saved by Hermione and is not mentioned among the names of people who died, it is assumed that she survived the battle. However, the Deathly Hallows, Part II film depicts Lavender as dying. The Harry Potter Wiki considers the films to be canon, so it states that Lavender "died from her injuries" because the books do not explicitly state that she survived; this statement often causes confusion and is much debated.
Pottermore further stirred up the debate over Lavender's possible death when it released Lavender's "fact file" on the redesigned site in September 2015. Initially, the fact file stated "Death: 2 May 1998", but almost immediately this was changed to "Presumed dead, 2 May 1998" (emphasis added). This caused much confusion among fans, and after a week all mentions of a possible death were removed.
Though Greyback is a werewolf, Lavender was bitten when he was in his human form, as Bill Weasley was in Half-Blood Prince. Because Greyback had not transformed at the time of the attack, it is generally thought that Lavender would not have become a werewolf herself, but, like Bill, may have developed some wolfish behaviour such as a liking for very rare steaks.
Common Tropes, Themes & Storylines
- Werewolves - Lavender dealing with being a werewolf or dealing with some "wolfish behavior" popped up after DH was released.
- Infidelity - this is common way to break Hermione/Ron up was to have Ron cheat on Hermione with Lavender (or other characters).
- Break Up - sometimes interchangeable with the above trope, common way to get Lavender together with a character or that character with someone else if it's dealing with the canon Lavender/Ron break-up.
- This is Where by Kicon (General Audience, Lavender/Parvati)
- The Kind of Eyes that Drive Wolves Mad by truethingsproved (Mature, Lavender/Parvati
- Full moon by Moonstone Ice (K-Rating)
- Comforting the Heartbroken by randompandattack (T-Rating, Harry/Lavender)
- Lavender Brown by bbcchu
- Lavender Brown by Lavender-Brown
- Lavender Brown - A Tribute by efmourn
- Lavender Brown by prydester
- Lav-Lav by limlight
- Lavender Brown | Do you like you? by Wizarding World shopping channel
- Lavender Brown-The Lonely by Mel Mari
Archives and Communities
- Lavender Brown works at FFN
- Lavender Brown fanworks at AO3
- Lavender Brown works at Lumos
- Lavender Brown tag works at hp_fanworks
- Brown, Lavender at Harry Potter Lexicon
- Lavender Brown at Harry Potter Wiki
- Lavender Brown at Urban Dictionary
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Fenrir Greyback attacked her in the last Battle, it's currently not known if she would be a full werewolf like Remus Lupin or only have some wolfish behavior like Bill Weasley has since his attack by Greyback.
- In 2001 BBC interview JKR flashed her notes on the students in Harry Potter's year and Lavender is noted as being a Pureblood in the Gryffindor House. It's not considered canon until JKR reconfirms it. (Via Lexicon). Accessed 20 August 2014.
- Due to the scene in the films, many believe that Lavender is dead.
- J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, "Chapter Thirty-Two: The Elder Wand" (2007).
- Accessed 22 August 2014. See e.g. Talk:Lavender Brown/Archive 1#Death.
- Lavender Brown on Pottermore. See also Lavender Brown lives? Pottermore removes ‘Death’ section from character’s profile at Hypable, 29 September 2015.
- At Your Service by faithwood is one example of this in fanfiction.