|Pairing:||Kuroo Tetsurou / Kozume Kenma|
|Alternative name(s):||Kuroken, Kenkuro|
|Gender category:||Slash, yaoi, M/M|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Kuroo has known Kenma since they were young; after Kuroo moved to Kenma's neighborhood at a young age, the two of them grew up together. Kuroo was shy and withdrawn as a child, even though he was a year older, only hesitantly bringing up volleyball when Kenma asked him about his future plans. Kenma was the one to encourage Kuroo to seek out a junior team to play volleyball.
As they grew older, Kuroo became more outgoing, meeting up with other friends, but always being considerate of Kenma's feelings. Kuroo is responsible for bringing Kenma out of his shell and getting him into volleyball by relentlessly practicing with him and watching volleyball videos as kids. Kuroo also convinced Kenma to join the volleyball team in junior high and stay for high school, citing that the setter position was the perfect position for a strategist; however, he sometimes felt guilty about it since Kenma would easily get sick after intense training days or matches.
Kuroo knows Kenma the best out of everyone on the Nekoma team, to the point where he's able to tell Kenma's minutely different facial expressions apart. When they play together, it's hard to beat them.
Kenma has stated that he had never failed a test because Kuroo teaches him beforehand. Kenma also thinks that Kuroo's pre-match saying is stupid, but he doesn't protest it in serious matches.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Futurefic and College AUs are all fairly common settings for Kuroken fanworks.
- Many fanfics are interested in exploring the potential conflict that would happen when Kuroo departs for college, leaving Kenma behind.
- Kuroo calling Kenma "kitten" is fairly prevalent since cats are a common theme between them (a cat is the unofficial Nekoma team mascot, and Kenma resembles one).
- Kuroken falls into the Childhood Friends trope by default, since that's their canon background.
- Performance Anxiety by mysecretfanmoments
- How Kuroo Found Kenma by SuggestiveScribe
- chamomile and carnivorous plants by Ellessey