|Relationships:|| Esther (mother), Mikael (father), Ansel (biological father), |
Elijah Mikaelson (brother), Rebekah Mikaelson (sister), Kol Mikaelson (brother), Finn Mikaelson (brother), Henrik Mikaelson (brother), Freya Mikaelson (sister),
Hope Mikaelson (daughter)
|Fandom:||The Vampire Diaries (TV), The Originals|
|Other:||Played by Joseph Morgan|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Klaus Mikaelson is a character introduced in season 2 of Vampire Diaries as a Big Bad. He was supposed to die at the end of the season, but the writers decided to explore the notion of The Original Family and Klaus and his family ended up a major focus of season 3 of the show. During that season Klaus tried to build up an army of hybrids, all sired to him. He also developed an obsession (that later developed into genuine feelings) for Caroline Forbes. In season 4 he and his siblings (along with other TVD characters) were trying to find a cure for vampirism. Unlike other characters, Klaus didn't want the cure to turn himself mortal - he wanted to find it and destroy it, so that nobody could use it against him. In the same season he was tricked into killing the remainer of his hybrids before moving to New Orleans to stop another threat.
The New Orleans plot, and all related plots introduced in episode 4x20, were a set up for the Vampire Diaries spin-off The Originals
A lot of his fannish appeal comes from fandom's instant love for the actor who portrays Klaus, Joseph Morgan. That is despite the fact that his first appearance on TVD was while he was possessing Alaric Saltzman's body. However that plotline has not been a focus of any fics (is there any at all?). His possession of Tyler Lockwood's body received much more attention as it happened after Klaus' affection for Caroline Forbes were developed. Still, in works where he's in Tyler's body, fans often make a point of him reclaiming his body eventually.
Season 3 of TVD and the introduction of The Original Family (his siblings especially) lead to the biggest changes in the way Klaus has been portrayed in fanworks. His family life allowed for character development, making him more complex - which spoke to the majority of fans.
Some fans believe that Klaus might be suffering from a psychological disorder, stemming from his abusive past.
Despite his popularity in fandom, there are fans who cannot understand his appeal, quoting all the bad things he has done during his run as the Big Bad and the main antagonist on The Vampire Diaries. His killing of Jenna Sommers and Carol Lockwood is brought up the most, and as the things fans cannot forgive. Other fans, perhaps deciding to play Devil's Advocate, point out that other characters on the show has killed just as many people and that Klaus' only crime is that the people he killed were characters viewers knew and liked. If he, like main protagonists, killed unknown, unnamed, or simply unlikeable characters, nobody would bat an eyelash.
A lot of fans simply ignore his killing sprees and romanticize his violent tendencies, in order to redeem him in the fanworks (often thanks to the love of the other part of the pairing they write).
Common Tropes & Fanon
- Family - Klaus is obsessed with family and acceptance on the show and in fanworks, fanfic writers usually write him very close to both Rebekah and Elijah (sometimes also Kol).
- Artist - In All Human AU Klaus is often portrayed as a painter, or if he has a different profession, painting or sketching is always a very important and prominent hobby. In fics where Klaus is still a hybrid, his artistic side is mentioned less often, as it's implied thanks to canon.
- Criminal - riffing off of his Big Bad status, Klaus is sometimes portrayed as a criminal, thief, killer, part of a bigger criminal organization; this is especially employed in All Human AUs.
- Joseph/Klaus pencil drawing by Sabriiistrash
- Joseph Morgan Charcoal Portrait by Paranoid-Universe
- Niklaus Mikaelson by chartreuxxx, with a quote taken from Klaus' drawing for Caroline
- Chibi Klaus by ShadowDark1
- Flashback of Klaus by SPRSPRsDigitalArt
- Klaus Mikaelson and Ruby Lucas by Lenochka93123
- Klaus Mikaelson by case15
- Requiem For a Dream by xXWhisperOfDreamsXx
- Trouble by dalmuss97
- "He's lost" by 777Katys
- I feel so cold by Victoria666100
- Runnin' by Always Team Klaus
- a case for klaus by emiv, 10 reasons why Klaus deserves your attention, your empathy and your total and unbridled admiration
Archives and Communities
- Klaus Mikaelson works tagged at AO3
- Klaus Mikaelson works at FFN under the "Vampire Diaries" category
- Klaus Mikaelson works at FFN under the "Originals" category
- The Originals Meta: Klaus fits the criteria for a BPD diagnosis, accessed March 28, 2015