This tutorial is aimed at helping new users begin editing on the wiki. Please remember that if you read or edit Fanlore, you agree to the Fanlore Terms of Service.
Do I need an account on the wiki?
To make edits on Fanlore, you must have a user account and be logged in.
To read Fanlore, you do not need an account. Fanlore content is public.
How do I edit an existing wiki article?
- Log in.
- Go to the article you wish to edit.
- Click EDIT. In the default skin, you should see it in the upper right hand corner of the screen (If you are not logged in, you will not see an EDIT option).
- You will be taken to an edit box, where you can make changes.
- When you are done making changes, click Save page below the edit window, and you're done.
See Help:Editing pages for more.
How do I create a new article?
There are a few ways to do it. Try this:
- Enter the title of the article you want to create into the Search box.
- Hit the enter or return key.
- You will see a bold notice: Create the page "whatever" on this wiki!
- Click on the red-linked "whatever"
- You will be taken to a blank edit window.
- Write stuff, then click Save page.
Note: New users have a time delay of four hours after registering before they can create new pages.
See Help:Starting a new page for more esoteric methods, as well as for guidance on what stuff to write.
So, what kind of information should I include on a Fanlore article?
While many fan wikis collect canon information -- plot summaries, character biographies, production/publishing history, in-universe glossary terms (like tricorders), etc. -- Fanlore is interested in documenting the fan communities that form around those canons. The limited canon information on the wiki is intended to provide context for fan discussions, communities, activities, etc. In essence, we are an encyclopedia of fannish culture.
Fanlore's category structure can give you a sense of what types of things editors like to write about -- fan activities, fannish terms, fanworks and fanwork tropes, fannish communities, individual fans, significant events in fandom, and commentary and commentators on fandom.
We suggest you follow the articles in this order:
- Create an account on the wiki
- Creating and editing your user page
- Making links
- Writing Articles
- Now What?