|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Gardensverse, Gelel-hopping mechanic|
|Related:||The Many Gardens of Shikabane-hime|
|See Also:||Dreaming of Sunshine (fandom)|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Gardens fic are recursive Dreaming of Sunshine fics following the basic premise of wafflelate's The Many Gardens of Shikabane-hime, wherein Nara Shikako travels across alternate universes trying to get home. This version of Shikako is commonly referred to as Gardens!Shikako. The use of this trope is very widespread within the DoS Fandom making it a subgenre of recursive fic for DoS. It allows people to create AUs, to have Shikako time travel, and to get her otherwise engage impossible interactions, often multiple verses in a row.
The trope began in late September 2017 when wafflelate posted the first example to the Recursive Thread on the fanfiction.net Dreaming of Sunshine forum. Stating plainly that she meant for other people to be able to use the same mechanics to write their own alternate universe fic, wafflelate established several rules for the Gardens universe:
The mechanics of her getting from universe to universe, if anyone's wondering, is like so:
1) Appear in Yugakure, because this is where all of these universes are the weakest to this sort of intrusion.
2) Check for Jashinists, because screw those guys. Found 'em? Let someone know, then move one, it's none of Shikako's business.
3) Check the date and/or proceed directly to Konoha to check if it's the right Konoha.
4) When it's not the right Konoha, go to the Dead Wastes. A lingering resonance with Gelel makes traveling to the next dimension easier and cost-effective, chakra-wise.5) Repeat until #3 reveals she's home.
wafflelate also suggested that gardens!Shikako would never run into a version of herself because the native Shikako in every AU she visits is dead or never existed, or is otherwise not present (doing sage training in the summons realm would count, for instance) and this is sometimes referred to as the "One Kako Rule" but admits that it's mainly a Watsonian excuse to not have to write Shikako interacting with herself, and she frequently encourages others to subvert the One Kako Rule.
Individual Gardens stories usually focus on one alternate universe at a time, so each new verse is usually named after the title of the fic it appears in. For example, the first gardens verse appears in a fic titled "the dark fire will not avail you", and that verse is usually called Dark Fire.
The characters in each verse are usually referred to using the verse name or an abbreviation. DarkFire!Sasuke is the Uchiha Sasuke from the Dark Fire verse; he might also be called DF!Sasuke.
The Split and "post-Split"
In gardens fic, "the Split" is the term for the event at the end of Shikako's multidimensional journey where she decides that she's never going to get home going one verse at a time and instead sends a version of herself to every universe without a Nara Shikako already present. Post-Split fics are therefore about Shikako after her journey is over, and usually involve her settling permanently into some AU.
Besides The Many Gardens of Shikabane-hime, many other gardens fics have been written. A small sample:
Shikabane-hime multiplies herself
- pg 507 #15182 Shikabane-hime multiplies herself by clmineith
- pg 507 #15183 Kakashi's POV by clmineith
- pg 507 #15184 Shikabane-hime's new appearance by TekoloKuautli
- pg 507 #15185 Kakashi finds Hisoka by clmineith
- pg 507 #15186 Mission report to Tsunade by clmineith
- pg 507 #15200 One year later by clmineith
Marigolds — Shikako arrives while the Yondaime is in power
- pg 494 #14804 Shikako arrives and meets Minato by Juno-nine
- pg 496 #14869 Minato POV by Juno-nine
- pg 496 #14880 Agent Sloth by donahermurphy
- pg 516 #15465 Marigolds v2.0 by Juno-nine
Gardens!Shikako ends up in a Wing!AU
- pg 579 #17,360 part 1 — Shikako arrives by Juno-nine
- pg 580 #17,382 part 2 — running into Tsunade by Juno-nine
- pg 581 #17,407 part 3 — flight training by Juno-nine
- pg 582 #17,434 part 4 — reaching Konoha by Juno-nine
- pg 580 #17,372 Wing!AU headcanons by The-Real-Chys-Latte
- pg 580 #17,380 grounded fight training by lovebound111
- pg 584 #17,500 Tsunade POV between parts 1 and 2 by bearden2000
- pg 507 #15196 Desert Lily: G!Kako saves Sakumo by Juno-nine
- pg 510 #15299 The Original World: Shikako comes home by Juno-nine
- pg 516 #15453 Dreamland’s Little Nightmare by TekoloKuautli
- pg 575 #17,231 Many Gardens of the Shikabane-hime: Lotus — Shikako saves Shisui by Juno-nine
- pg 593 #17,789 Sasuke and Tsunade react to the explosion at Danzou's home by mdmichener
- Post on We're all just Dreaming of Sunshine by wafflelate