- I don't see why not.--facetofcathy 00:33, 3 May 2010 (UTC)
I can't decide if Hurt/Comfort fits well under "Style, Theme or Setting" or not - looking at the rest of that list it seems the odd one out. Maybe a better fit would be under "Based on Tone"? YMMV - I can go with whatever. I would like to see Smarm kept. (if that's what the question marks mean.) And I agree that Comfortfic isn't really a trope -- Dewey 05:26, 3 May 2010 (UTC
Others I sort of wondered about (but cases can be made otherwise):
- Incest and Twincest moved to "Individual Elements"?
- Holiday (Trope) moved to "Style, Theme or Setting"?
- Isolated or Trapped (plus subheadings) moved to "Style, Theme or Setting"? (unless I'm putting a different definition on Setting...)
- Robots moved to "Character Trans/Non-Human" - oh, unless you aren't talking about the characters themselves being robots but just robots in the story ... Maybe in both places?
And where's "one hotel room left with only one bed"!? (*hee* kidding) -- Dewey 06:16, 3 May 2010 (UTC)
- Sorry, those question marks were a typo from an earlier version. I think h/c could go in tone or in theme, since it determines the plot of the story in a way. We could just put it in both. Incest is kind of the same thing, it can be the whole plot or theme of the story or just one element. Holiday & Isolated would look way better in the setting list. And Robots should likely be in both places, I'll move those now.--facetofcathy 14:12, 3 May 2010 (UTC)
- Sounds good. I went ahead and moved the Holiday one since it looked like you missed it. If you changed your mind feel free to shift it back. --Dewey 04:53, 4 May 2010 (UTC)
Proposed Name Changes
- (proposing a name change from Wingfic to Wings)
- (Proposed name change to anthropomorphism)
- (Proposed name change to apocalypse)
- Harlequin (see disccusion on talk page--this is the only trope page where the links all go to the page that describes challenges that use the trope--there is currently no page for the trope itself. ) (Propose making page to discuss trope outside of challenges.)
- Harlequin Enterprises is a publisher of romance novels. The word "Harlequin" has several different meanings, even several different fannish meanings (characters, source texts...) and doesn't just refer to romances. If the proposed page is supposed to be about romance fiction, it should be named "Romance" or something like that. The "Harlequin Challege" page is about a specific type of challenge and Harlequin Challenge was the name of that challenge. We have pages about other challenges as well. See for example Big Bang challenges, Secret Santas, etc. There is no reason why we can't have a page about Harlequin Challenges and if it's decided that we can't have a separate page for these challenges anyway, the content should be moved to Challenge to become a section there. However, I haven't seen a convincing reason yet why we can't have a page about Harlequin Challenges. --Doro 20:05, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
- (proposed name change to Holiday (Trope))
- Hookerfic (Proposed name change or additional page to discuss trope outside of fic.)
- Glossary term, I vote against changing it. --Doro 20:05, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
- Noir Detective AU - (Proposed name change to Noir or Noir, Detective)
- What's wrong with Noir Detective AU? It tells you exactly what the page is about while "Noir" could be a color, a zine title, a pseud, etc. --Doro 20:05, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
- (Proposed name change to Slavery (Trope) with slavefic as internal header)
- Slavefic is a glossary term, I vote against changing it. --Doro 20:05, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
- (Proposed name change to tentacles)
- (proposed name change to Disability (Trope))
- Futurefic (Proposed name change to Pre-Canon - page is currently consolidation of related tropes.)
- Futurefic is a glossary term and it's not about pre-canon. --Doro 20:05, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
- Pastfic (Proposed name change to Post-Canon - page is currently consolidation of related tropes.)
Why is this here?
As far as I know the sandbox was supposed to be a playground for new users where they could try out formatting and wiki coding. Has the purpose of the sandbox changed? --Doro 20:05, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
- Sorry, I didn't see this until now. Why is this here. Well, I tried to host a collaborative discussion on Dreamwidth, and that was not all that easy to keep up with edits or really show the ideas for the changes that people suggested once the issue turned to page organization. It was all raw code. I decided to use the sandbox to host the final discussion on the page so that it could be a truly collaborative discussion. It works somewhat better, but isn't ideal. So this was trying out formatting and coding. I know of no restriction of the sandbox to new users only. --facetofcathy 23:57, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
- Further to your multiple similar comments above. The list of proposed name changes was placed here on the discussion page to save it for posterity--I should have made that more clear. They are all suggestions of various people from the original Dreamwidth discussion. As I said on the page, I was discussing the way the page lists were ordered, not the name changes at this time. I will not now, nor ever, volunteer to host that name change discussion, but I was not willing to let other people's suggestions just disappear. If other people wish to take it up, either in total or page by page, that is their choice.--facetofcathy 00:26, 16 May 2010 (UTC)
Last Call for Comments
And edits, actually. I'm putting this on the clock, if anyone has any major objections or suggestions or wants to edit the list (please step in and do it, you don't have to ask here in talk) can you do that within a few days, please. If there is not objection or hurdle, I will make this the real page on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on my schedule next week.--facetofcathy 18:09, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
It's awesome and should be added to the front page. Two nitpicks:
- instead of site statistics listed at the bottom, maybe a link to the Login/Create account page.
- Change the color of the banner? I can barely distinguish it from the surrounding background color. We should probably test how it looks in different skins....
--æþel 21:54, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
- To me it looks like a light gray. I've copied this from the Wikipedia main page and exchanged portals for categories (because we don't have portals, but we could maybe make our category pages more welcoming?) but I haven't changed anything about the formatting/coding. Tweak it as much as you want. This was just a first attempt. :) --Doro 22:26, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
Purpose Of This Space
I seek a place to practice formatting and setup before posting an article to Fanlore, particularly to figure out which template would work best but also because it'll be the first one I've set up here. Given the last comment is dated 4 February, it seems likely that the page currently in the Sandbox space is finished and I won't be disrupting anybody's activities, but since the space has not been cleared I cannot be certain. Is there an appropriate space to just dive in and try stuff? --Kay Shapero 06:28, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
- Go ahead. This is the appropriate space to try stuff. :) --Doro 09:06, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
Okay to clear the Southern Enclave #11 stuff
Not sure where to report this but the Upload file function doesn't work. Error message: Could not store file "/tmp/phpWPqN9E" at "mwstore://local-backend/local-public/b/b9/Wolfsbane.jpg". I've tried different files but nothing goes through. Baycitybomber (talk) 19:05, 12 July 2017 (UTC)