Yahoo!_Groups has no subpages to list.
|Other Fanlore Projects|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Welcome to FanloreProject: Yahoo! Groups. This FanloreProject was created in the wake of Yahoo's decision to shut down Yahoo! Groups on 28 October 2019 and wipe all their data on the 14 December.
We want to try and document as much as possible before Yahoo! Groups are wiped off the map, taking a huge and important piece of 2000s fandom history with it. Even after this happens, though, we'll keep this project going for people to continue to make pages, add meta, add memories, etc.
The Fanlore page for the closure is Yahoo! Groups Content Purge.
What is Yahoo! Groups?
If you're unfamiliar with Yahoo! Groups, it is a sort of hybrid between a discussion board and mailing list that was started in 1998 (originally called Yahoo! Clubs) and was an important space for fans and fannish interests during the 2000s. While Yahoo! Groups gradually died down as other gathering places became more popular, fans still have Groups they treasure, whether active or inactive.
- Any kind of fannish Yahoo! Group, big or small. They should be by and for fans in order to fall under Fanlore's scope (see: What Fanlore is not) - but that doesn't mean they have to be about media fandom or big, well-known fandoms. Small, obscure fandoms or fan discussions are perfectly welcome.
- Meta about Yahoo! Groups (this could be from their heyday, retrospectives, thoughts on their closure - anything goes).
- Lists of Yahoo! Groups - these can be external lists whose existence we are documenting on Fanlore, or Fanlore-only lists that we create to keep track of Groups, e.g. for a particular fandom. See for example: List of Sentinel Mailing Lists.
- Create stubs with reckless abandon. You don't need to have access to lots of information about a Group to make a page for it - someone else may well come along who can fill in the blanks.
- Use the Mailing List infobox for new pages
- Categorise your pages in Category:Yahoo! Groups. If you feel that new subcategories are needed, feel free to open a discussion on the Project Talk Page or on the category Talk Page.
- Some ideas for information to include on a Yahoo! Groups page:
- Number of members (from when the Group was most active, if it is no longer active)
- Last post date
- The text on the About Group page
- Number of messages overall
- The names of the founder(s) and moderator(s)
- Whether the group was public or accessible to members only
- Fun facts, like the subject of the first and last posts
- The FAQs
- A screencap of the About page
Some Things to Keep in Mind
This section contains more general directions for Fanlore editors about contributing to the wiki, and is standard for all FanloreProjects.
- Information for new editors can be found in our New Visitor Portal. Among other things, it explains how to make an account, how to start a new page, and includes a lot of other helpful information.
- Discussion on this project's Talk page is encouraged, as is discussion on individual article Talk pages.
- All edits, whether big, tiny, or in-between, are welcome.
- You don't have to be an "expert" on a subject. Adding what you know and feel passionate about are pieces of the puzzle, and ones that hopefully inspire others to expand on the topic.
- All typos, mistakes, and errors are easily corrected. Don't let perfection hobble you.
- Remember that Fanlore, like all wikis, is a collaborative effort, and may be edited by anyone.
- Pages are not "owned" or controlled by any single person or group of people.
- Pages and the information on them are only as robust, encompassing, and accurate as the information added by interested and enthusiastic fans like you.
- Fanlore practices and encourages a Plural Point of View.
- James Kruk
- User:Mrs. Potato Head
- Dusk Peterson
- Please add yourself!
If you have added your name to the project participant list and contributed several edits, a badge may be awarded to you by Fanlore Policy & Admin which will be displayed on your user page, similar to Fanlore Challenges like April Showers or Stub September.
History of the Project
- 21st October 2019: Project created
Lists of Mailing Lists to Investigate
- Alice's Fan Email Lists, cached by Internet Archive; Alice's website back online until January 2020
- Paula's list; archive link
- there's a lot of perhaps useful dates to unearth at this page
- Rauhnee's Furry Lists Central
- Wayback Machine Captures of SPDP, showing pages from The Slash Page Database Project. Filter by the word "Fandom" and then click on the "From" column for the earliest fandom listings. Later fandom listings go to a forwarding page. You can also filter by searching for a particular fandom. Then search the cached page for "Yahoo".
- Morgan Dawn's tips for searching the web for fandom-related Yahoo Groups listings
- a list to work on: List of Sentinel Mailing Lists
- a list to work on: List of Femslash Mailing Lists
- a list to work on: List of RPF Mailing Lists
- please add!
Helpful Links: What Fans Can Do
- Yahoo Groups Shutting Down - Dec 14, 2019 (UPDATED) by morgandawn (includes practical advice and step-by-step guides) (October 16, 2019)
- PSA: Yahoo Groups by Fanlore on Tumblr (October 17, 2019)
- Yahoo Groups Closure – What You Can Do, posted by Open Doors (October 20, 2019)
- Yahoo Groups Will Be Shutting Down - What Each of You Can Do, posted by Yahoo Groups Fandom Rescue Project at Tumblr (October 22, 2019)