Barry Allen/Iris West
|Pairing:||Barry Allen/Iris West|
|Alternative name(s):||WestAllen, Biris|
|Gender category:||Het, M/F|
|Fandom:||The Flash (Arrowverse, '90s TV series, comics), Young Justice (TV series), Justice League: The New Frontier, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Pre-canon, Iris and Barry were both raised by Joe West after Barry's father Henry Allen is jailed for the murder of his wife and Barry's mother. This led to a pseudo sibling relationship, where both Iris and Barry refer to Joe as Dad, despite the two not being blood relatives. Some fans found this change to comics canon disturbing.
In season 1 of The Flash (2014), Iris West is in a relationship with Eddie Thawne, and they later become engaged. Barry grapples with his feelings for Iris, before giving Iris and Eddie his blessing. Following Eddie's death at the end of the season, Barry and Iris remain close friends but neither of them bring up their romantic feelings. Barry eventually asks Iris out; but Season 2 concludes with his father's death at Zoom's hands; defeating Zoom; and going back in time, thus creating Flashpoint, a timeline where Iris West doesn't know him.
After Barry returns to his original timeline, Iris and Barry begin dating. Barry is soon consumed with the need to save Iris from her impending death at the hands of Savitar; and he asks Iris to marry him in the hope of changing the future. It is actually Iris who eventually defeats Savitar at the end of Season 3; but she loses Barry to the speedforce prison.
On Earth-2, Barry meets Iris' doppelganger, and discovers that Earth-2 Barry Allen is married to her.
Barry and Iris were together in the first episode of the 1990's The Flash TV series, before breaking up due to differences of where they wanted to take their relationship (Barry proposed, but Iris moved away).
Barry and Iris appeared together in two DCAOM films: Justice League: The New Frontier and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. IN The New Frontier, Barry and Iris appear to be together and Iris knows his identity as The Flash. In The Flashpoint Paradox, Barry and Iris are originally married, but by going back in time to save his mother, he loses Iris (she ends up married to someone else). Barry eventually restores the timeline, and they are reunited.
Barry/Iris in the Young Justice is very rare in producing fanworks dedicated solely to them. They often appear as a background pairing or secondary characters in Wally West and/or Bart Allen fanworks.
The Barry/Iris fandom termed their pairing name WestAllen, grouping Iris' and Barry's last names together (?).
- The Present by maxbarrowart
- Domestic WestAllen with mr.McSnurtle by softjellybabe
- If Iris had a suit for an episode by sunshinesunsethappiness
- AND ALL MY LIFE, I PROMISE TO KEEP RUNNING HOME TO YOU by prettyoddchild
- That Mood Indigo by gnimaerd, Iris is a waitress and aspiring novelist, Barry is her favourite customer. Anything else between them would be illegal. But in the face of overwhelming prejudice against her, Iris dares to dream, and write, and fall in love. (1940s AU)
- The Scientist and the Storyteller by MirrorKing96, Barry Allen is a CSI working to free his father. Iris West is a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist with a secret. What happens when they have to work on an article about the mysterious Dr Harrison Wells and his Particle Accelerator and slowly discover they've secretly known each other their whole lives? (AU)
- Worlds Apart by SilverGlimmers, When Barry closes the singularity he ends up in a whole new universe. Barry must deal with alternate versions of Iris, Oliver, Harrison and even himself if he wants to make it home. Back in Central City, Iris and the others try to hold the city together without him as they try to come to terms with the events of the season 1 finale.
Archives & Fannish Links
- Barry/Iris works at AO3
- Barry/Iris works at FFN (comics)
- Barry/Iris works at FFN (Young Justice)
- Barry/Iris works at FFN (Arrowverse)
- Iris/Barry recs tagged at Het Reccers
- Tumblr tags: barry x iris, iris x barry, westallen
- AO3 Feed: WestAllen
- Iris and the Flash
- Iris and Barry
- FFN's Flash comics section is small (216 works as of 9/28/17) - and most of the early works seem to be more focused on the Flash's Rogue Gallery than the speedsters that portrayed Flash, and then later more Bart Allen and Wally West works compared to Barry. Only a handful of works are tagged/grouped under the pairing of Iris & Barry. Doesn't seem to have much LJ presence.
- Pretty sure this appeared in the Arrowverse and not the comics, but someone more familiar might know better