Through the Looking Glass: Alternate Universe Recs
|Name:||Through the Looking Glass: Alternate Universe Recs|
|Dates:||2002 (Wayback date) - present|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Through the Looking Glass: Alternate Universe Recs is RatCreature's multifandom AU recommendation page. The page is a member of the Fanfiction Critics Association.
Fandoms include: Andromeda, Avatar the Last Airbender, Babylon 5, Buffy/Angel, DC Universe, Due South, Farscape, Harry Potter, Highlander, Lord of the Rings, Merlin, Multifandom, Numb3rs, Roswell, Sanctuary, The Sentinel, Sherlock, Smallville, Stargate: Atlantis, Star Trek: Reboot, Star Trek: TOS, Star Wars, Supernatural, White Collar, The X-Files, X-Men.
AU TypesWithin a fandom the recs are sorted by author, with new additions being marked. For The Sentinel the links are also sorted by the type of the AU: Alternate Reality (AR), Alternate History (AH), Fusions, 'Transplanting' AUs, Change of Universe Rules, Change of Character. RatCreature explains her AU sub-categories:
- Alternate Reality (AR): By AR I mean a story that diverges at a certain point from canon (inside the canon's timeline or before), but the universe and its rules up to that point are the same as in canon. AR (opposed to Alternate History) focuses on the characters' lives which changed more or less drastically, but the rest of the universe is mostly the same.
- Alternate History (AH): AHs also break from canon at a certain point in time, but unlike ARs they focus on the change in the universe or its mythology. It often explores the impact the characters' actions have on the universe as a whole rather than on their personal lives, which still may have changed drastically.
- Fusions: A Fusion is a special type of x-over, which merges the characters of one show with the universe of another show/movie/comic/book.
- 'Transplanting' AUs: Those put the characters in another time or place.
- Change of Universe Rules: One or more of the basic laws of reality in a universe are changed but the setting is like in canon, e.g. magic works, but it is still present day in the US, not some kind of fantasy setting.
- Change of Character: AUs where one or more of the character traits are changed (e.g. transforming characters into Werewolves or Vampires, making bad guys into good guys or vice versa, changing capabilities...)