|Other:||Portrayed by Anna Shaffer (films 6–8)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Romilda Vane is a minor character in the Harry Potter series, introduced the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince as a Hogwarts student who unsuccessfully tries to romance Harry.
In the films, she is portrayed by Anna Shaffer (who would later portray Triss Merigold in the Netflix adaptation of The Witcher). Romilda is sometimes considered a character of color because she is portrayed by a mixed-race actor.
Fanworks focusing on Romilda usually involve consent issues due to Romilda's canonical use of love potions, which fans generally regard as deeply unethical.
Some have speculated that the name "Romilda Vane" is a deliberate anagram for "I'm a Dan lover", and her fangirl-y behaviour toward Harry a reference to real-life fans' behaviour toward Daniel Radcliffe. Fernwithy noted in September 2005:
So people think the anagrammatic point of 'Romilda Vane' is 'I'm A Dan Lover.' Okay. I guess the letters work. But I kind of suspect, if there's any anagram point to it at all, it's 'A Random Evil,' which fits what she does. I mean, yes, she fangirls Harry (who is not Dan), but her function in the plot is to accidentally make Ron crazy, leading to his poisoning. A totally random bit of evil. I'm just sayin'.
Romilda is usually paired with Harry Potter due to her interest in him in canon. Her other most common pairings are with Ron Weasley, Draco Malfoy, or Cormac McLaggen. She also appears in a variety of femslash ships. Romilda Vane/Angelina Johnson was the "alternate pairing" featured at Daily Deviant in October 2009.
- A Temporary Solution to Exam Jitters by foreword (yamapea), Romilda/Hannah Abbott, rated R/NC-17. Set during Order of the Phoenix. Recced twice at Crack Broom. (October 2006)
- Draco Malfoy is a Stupid Wanker by emmagrant01, canon-compliant Harry/Draco ("if only in Romilda's mind"), rated R. Set during Half-Blood Prince. Written for hd_holidays. Translated into Spanish by PerlaNegra (2007); Podfic by starduchess (2012). (December 2006)
- Tragic Love Story by shiiki, Colin Creevey/Romilda, rated R. Set during Deathly Hallows. 13 ficlets written for rarepair_shorts. (October 2008)
- Sex & Candy by ragdoll, Ginny Weasley/Romilda "dub dub dub dub-con", rated NC-17. Inspired by fanart by violetfishy. (October 2009)
- Romilda Vane by by bbandittt (May 2014)
- Romilda Vane by DidxSomeonexSayxMad (October 2014)
- You can run... by BertieBottBeanie, Romilda and Harry (May 2011)
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by thilia, Romilda/Angelina Johnson, NC-17, NSFW. (October 2009)
- This is prob what would have happened if Romilda... by reallycorking, Romilda/Harry, NSFW. (December 2012)
- The band Romilda Vane and the Chocolate Cauldrons is named after the character and the love potion–spiked Chocolate Cauldrons from Half-Blood Prince.
Links and Resources
- Romilda Vane character tag at Archive of Our Own
- Romilda V. character filter at FanFiction.Net
- #Romilda Vane tag at Tumblr
- Special Edition: Romilda Vane at daily_snitch (2009)
- Harry-lover88's Rommy-Centric Fanworks Recs (2014)
- Romilda Vane at Harry Potter Wiki
- Romilda Vane at The Harry Potter Lexicon
- ^ For example, Finite-whitewashing's "PoC characters in the Harry Potter books/films/games" (May 2012).
- ^ In mctabby's 2006 poll on LiveJournal, the most popular answer was that the anagram was "totally deliberate: JKR mocking the Radcliffe fangirls". "OMG, it's also an anagram of I am Lord Evan and she's the next Dark Lord!" and "mere coincidence: JKR wouldn't do that deliberately" were the next most popular choices. See bated/baited and Romilda poll, posted 23 January 2006.
- ^ A Random Evil by fernwithy on LiveJournal, posted 14 September 2005.
- ^ Archive of Our Own tag counts as of 21 February 2022: 26 Works in Harry Potter/Romilda Vane, 22 Works in Romilda Vane/Ron Weasley, 14 Works in Draco Malfoy/Romilda Vane, and 10 Works in Cormac McLaggen/Romilda Vane
- ^ Monthly Wrap-Up: October 2009 at daily_deviant on InsaneJournal, posted by dd_mods on 01 November 2009.
- ^ p: hannah abbott/romilda vane tag at crack_broom on LiveJournal. "A Temporary Solution to Exam Jitters" recced by sivullinen on 19 December 2006 and by el_em_en_oh_pee on 20 August 2007.