|Relationships:||Will Turner (friend/ally), Elizabeth Swann (friend/ally), Hector Barbossa (frenemy), Edward Teague (father)|
|Fandom:||Pirates of the Caribbean|
|Other:||Portrayed by Johnny Depp|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sparrow appears in all four POTC films, including the upcoming fifth film.
Sparrow is perhaps the most popular character in the fandom. He's a bit of a Little Black Dress and appears in a wide range of pairings, mainly slash with some het. After the first film, Jack/Will was highly popular, and probably initially represented the dominant pairing in the fandom. Other popular pairings included Jack/Norrington (usually known as Sparrington), which has grown in popularity over the years, Jack/Elizabeth, and the Jack/Will/Elizabeth threesome. Other characters he's occasionally paired with include Anamaria, Hector Barbossa, Cutler Beckett & "Bootstrap" Bill Turner.
Gen stories that examine Jack's history are also common, and often include supernatural elements. Works sometimes take literally the idea that he loves the sea first and foremost, leading to a surprising number of works labelled "Jack/Pearl", "Jack/the Sea" or "Jack/Ocean". How he came by his hair ornaments & eyeliner also get some attention.
- Finding North & Beads by Dee -- character studies
- First Night in Tortuga by Kapunua -- character study
- His Holiness, Captain Sparrow by BethCG -- backstory
- Mermaid Kiss by Zara Hemla -- backstory
- Mysticism by Gileonnen -- character study
- Parrot by Penknife -- fusion with Harry Potter
- A Sea Change by Ladybee -- fantastic Jack backstory
- A Surfeit of Riches by Melusina (fabu), a Jack/Will/Elizabeth ship manifesto (Sep 2004)
- Two Sides of One Coin by elessil, a Jack/Norrington ship manifesto (Feb 2005)
- Peas in a pod, darling. by heroics, a Jack/Elizabeth ship manifesto (Oct 2005)
- Either Madness or Brilliance by destrokker, a Jack/Will ship manifesto (Aug 2006)
Archives and Communities
- Archive of Our Own might not be typical of the fandom as a whole, but as of 24 January 2014, 1061 works were tagged Jack Sparrow, compared with 555 Will Turner, 536 James Norrington & 511 Elizabeth Swann.