|Name(s):||Girls' Generation, So Nyeo Shi Dae, SNSD, 소녀시대, 少女時代 (Shoujo Jidai)|
|See also:||Girls' Generation-TTS, DBSK, Super Junior, SHINee, f(x), EXO, Red Velvet, NCT, SM Town, K-Drama|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The group is signed to SM Entertainment and includes Taeyeon (Kim Taeyeon; 김태연), Sunny (Lee Soonkyu; 이순규), Tiffany (Hwang Tiffany; 황미영), Hyoyeon (Kim Hyoyeon; 김효연), Yuri (Kwon Yuri; 권유리), Sooyoung (Choi Sooyoung; 최수영), Yoona (Im Yoonah; 임윤아) and Seohyun (Seo Junhyun; 서주현). They debuted as nine with member Jessica (Jung Jessica; 정제시카) who left the band in 2014 due to the concern of the company as well as the other members of SNSD over her scheduling conflicts while Jessica herself stated that she had been "forced" out of the band.
On August 5, 2007 Girls' Generation officially made their debut on SBS's Inkigayo with their single "Into the New World" (다시 만난 세계). Even though their album gained some attention, their breakthrough came with their single "Gee" which is still a well-known song. In 2010 the band made their Japanese debut and through "I Got A Boy" as well as the English version of "The Boys" they gained worldwide recognition. Over the years the band released six Korean and three Japanese albums while holding several concert tours being known for reinventing their fashion style and stage performances.
In 2012, they formed the sub-unit Girls' Geneation-TTS also known as TaeTiSeo consisting of Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun. Just as Girls' Generation the sub-group was successful likewise their solo careers.
The fans call themselves "SONEs", often stylized as S♥NE. It origins in the song "Tell Me Your Wish" from their first album because SONE written in Hangul is 소원 translating to "wish". The deeper meaning is that 소원 (SoWun), pronounced "So One", implies that Girls' Generation will always be one with their fans. The fandom colour is "Pastel Rose". The individual fandoms are called Taeganger (Taeyeon), SunShiner (Sunny), GorJESS Spazzer/Maomao (Jessica), Hyohunnie (Hyoyeon), Yurisistable (Yuri), Fanytastic (Tiffany), SooYoungster (Sooyoung), YoonAddict (Yoona) and SeoMate (Seohyun). However, nowadays Jessica's fans are called "Golden Stars" as a tribute to all her fans who shined during her dark times.
Amusingly, there are also fandom names for the ships: fans of SunYeon (Sunny x Taeyeon) are "DanDyu Gangsters", fans of JeTi (Jessica x Tiffany) are "JeTidal Wave Surfers". YoonYul (Yoona x Yuri) create "Twin Troopers", YulTi (Yuri x Tiffany) "Soulkeepers", YoonSic (Yoona x Jessica) "YoonSicretives" and SooSun (Sooyoung x Sunny) "SoonSunatics". Fans of TaeNy (Taeyeon x Tiffany) are "Lock-Smiths", of YoonHyun (Yoona x Seohyun) "YoonHyun Loyalist", of SooSica (Sooyoung x Jessica) "The SooSic Sphere", of SooTae (Sooyoung x Taeyeon) "SooTaelite" and of SooRi (Sooyoung x Yuri) they are "SooRiZens". If they are liking SooNa (Sooyoung x Yoona) they call themselves "SooNata", of 2Ny (Tiffany x Sunny) "Eye-Smilers" and of YulSic (Yuri x Jessica) "Royal Shippers". Out of the 36 possible pairing options these are more popular than the others; according to thetoptens.com YoonYul is the most popular ship followed by YoonSic and TaeNy.
Apart from that they are frequently shipped with several male (and female) idols they had interaction with (like Taeyeon and G-Dragon of Big Bang or Yoona and Taecyeon of 2PM) as well as fellow label mates, male and female. For example about Tiffany and Nichkhun of 2AM or Taeyeon and Baekhyun of EXO is often written about since they were dating.
Just like practically every other big and famous K-pop group Girls' Generation has Sasaeng fans. In 2014 Sunny left a warning tweet directed to all sasaeng fans to leave her alone . Jessica and Yoona has been followed around and in 2011 a sasaeng even tried to kidnap Taeyeon from the stage . This incident caused fans being upset over the low security standards, the slow reaction time of all of the members besides Sunny and the fact that SM Entertainment was quite secretive about this case.
A light stick is a way to show your artist your love and support. Black oceans are created if a large crowd doesn't turn on their light sticks as well as show any support or cheer for the performance of the artist. It’s a very cruel way to reveal the dislike towards the artist because it feels like performing for nobody since everyone is quiet and the room is dark.
At the Dream Concert on June 7, 2008 at the Seoul Jamsil Olympic Stadium (not long after their debut) Girls' Generation experienced a ten-minute black ocean. The band had already many fans so it wasn’t for the lack of SONEs rather than the fans themselves creating the situation. There was a fight over seats (some SONEs stole some of other bands' fans) and some fans ripping off the posters of one another which resulted in ELFs (fans of Super Junior) being upset and ally with other fandoms against the "disrespectful" fandom for creating a black ocean (and cheering for other bands during their performance; there are also some rumours about knives and injuries). Even until now nobody really knows what was going on. Some people claim that ELFs were manipulators, other people insist that SONEs were alone at fault. However, Girls' Generation performed proficient, the band was able to put the boycott behind and move on. They talked about their experience saying they could see a little pink light in the darkness . The incident was legendary and even nowadays some fans are upset.
Taeyeon and Baekhyun
In June 2014 it was confirmed that Baekhyun and Taeyeon were dating, insiders even revealed that they had been for almost four months. The message caused fans being quite upset and both of them releasing apology statements  . Over the time some fans grew to like them or took it with humor , others never accepted it and reacted hateful towards Girls' Generation or Baekhyun, e.g. the one time Tiffany followed Baekhyun on Instagram . This article explains why there was so much hate from the Korean fans towards both of them by mentioning Baekhyun's past drinking or using slogans of EXO concerts to communicate with Taeyeon or Taeyeon's past scandals with male idols as well as being disrespectful towards fans while dating. However, in 2015 they were reported to have broken up due to never seeing each other because of their full schedule plans .
On September 29, 2014 Jessica announced via Weibo that she had been "forced" out of the group by saying: I was excited about our upcoming fan events only to shockingly be informed by my company and 8 others that as of today, I'm no longer a member. I'm devastated - my priority and love is to serve as a member of GG, but for no justifiable reason, I am being forced out. 
The next day she stated that in the early year the company as well as her fellow members were positive about the idea of her own fashion business Blanc and Eclare, but in September they changed opinion making her choose between closing her business or leaving the group. According to SM Entertainment Jessica informed the company in early spring that she would leave group after the following album, but caused problems for schedules by attending her individual activities. Jessica's final song with the group was "Divine" included in the repackaged version of their Japanese album "The Best". International fans mostly blamed Girls' Generation for suddenly kicking out Jessica without any notice and because of Jessica's Weibo statement at that time. Meanwhile, Korean fans were mostly hating on Jessica and accusing her of being too selfish for leaving Girls' Generation.
In August 2015 both parties finally made an agreement to end Jessica's contract. She later released a statement saying that she and SM Entertainment officially parted . Nowadays, Jessica promotes under Coridel Entertainment and announced her first solo album in February 2016.
- official website Korea: http://girlsgeneration.smtown.com/
- official website Japan: http://www.girls-generation.jp/
- official Twitter account Korea: https://twitter.com/girlsgeneration
- official Twitter account Japan: https://twitter.com/gg_official_jp
- official facebook account Korea: https://www.facebook.com/girlsgeneration/
- official facebook account Japan: https://www.facebook.com/girlsgeneration.jp/
- Kakaotalk, International: https://plus.kakao.com/home/@girlsgeneration
- Kakaotalk, Korea: https://plus.kakao.com/home/@%EC%86%8C%EB%85%80%EC%8B%9C%EB%8C%80
- TTS, official website: http://girlsgeneration-tts.smtown.com/
- Taeyeon, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/taeyeon_ss/
- Taeyeon, official website: http://taeyeon.smtown.com/
- Taeyeon, Snapchat: It's her wish to keep it between SONE and herself
- Sunny, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/515sunnyday/
- Sunny, Twitter: https://twitter.com/Sunnyday515
- Tiffany, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/xolovestephi/
- Tiffany, official website: http://tiffany.smtown.com/
- Hyoyeon, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/watasiwahyo/
- Hyoyeon, Weibo: http://www.weibo.com/u/5331813905
- Yuri, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yulyulk/
- Yuri, Weibo: http://www.weibo.com/u/5296924493
- Yuri, Snapchat: https://www.snapchat.com/add/yurikwon_gg
- Sooyoung, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hotsootuff/
- Sooyoung, Weibo: http://www.weibo.com/u/5038104889
- Sooyoung, Tumblr: http://sootuff.tumblr.com/
- Sooyoung, Snapchat: https://www.snapchat.com/add/sooyoungchoi210
- Yoona, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yoona__lim/
- Seohyun, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/seojuhyun_s/
- Seohyun, official website: http://seohyun.smtown.com/
- Seohyun, Weibo: http://www.weibo.com/u/5774618935
- Seohyun, Twitter: https://twitter.com/sjhsjh0628
- Jessica, Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jessica.syj/?hl=de
- Jessica, Blanc and Eclare: https://blancgroup.com/
- Jessica, Twitter: https://twitter.com/syjessicca?lang=de
- soshipops at LiveJournal - fanworks community
- Fanfiction on the Archive of Our Own
- FanFiction on Asianfanfics
- snsd tag at unniefic on LiveJournal