|Occupation:||librarian, Watcher, shop owner|
|Location:||Sunnydale, USA; England|
|Fandom:||Buffy the Vampire Slayer|
|Other:||played by Anthony Stewart Head (Uther on Merlin)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In het, Giles is paired most often with Buffy, but also with Cordelia, Willow, Anya and Jenny Calendar (canon). Giles/Joyce and Giles/Olivia were both canon for single episodes but are very rare pairings. With the lease of Buffy Season 8 comics, pairing Giles with Faith gained some popularity.
In slash fiction he is often paired with Ethan Rayne (implied by the number of male and female members of his demon-summoning group), but Giles/Xander, Giles/Spike and Giles/Wesley are also highly popular.
Common Tropes & Storylines
- Ripper - Giles' alterego Ripper makes an appearance in some fanworks. These are not exclusively pre-canon works.
- Magic is a common trope employed in BtVs works. Giles is often the unintended target of a spell cast by Willow Rosenberg or Ethan Rayne
- Post-NFA works often show Giles' efforts to rebuild the Watcher's Council.
- All Set Down by desoto-hia873. A darker take on 'Gift'. Words: about 3 300.
- Looking-Glass House by Doyle. A story about Dana, the insane slayer, whom Giles brings to England. Words: about 1 100.
- Combined Force by Meltha. Giles and Spike join together in order to face one of the most terrifying events ever to happen in Sunnydale. Heh. Words: about 3 000.
- The End of the Beginning by Mariner. Giles & Ethan-centered crossover novel with Harry Potter Words: about 77 000.
- Grief That Does Not Speak by estepheia. Of course it’s death that brings Giles and Angel together. Buffy’s death. Words: about 2 200.
- Mission Accomplished by beer-good-foamy. The first, last and hardest duty of all Watchers. Buffy has been dead for 24 hours, and there is nothing more for Giles to do... no, wait, he has one last job. One last mission to send his Slayer on. Words: about 3 000.
- On This Side of Goodbye by DragonsPhoenix. In the comics Giles gives Faith the opportunity to help Slayers who have gone astray. In this story she extends her purview to Watchers to make sure a resurrected Giles has a choice about what to do with his new life. Words: about 8 500.
- Saved in Translation by noelia_g. Giles and his language. Words: about 500.
- Sufficient Champagne by Cynthia Liskow. Anya and Giles contemplate love, loss, and lessons learned. Words: about 4 500.
- Vampyre! by il-mio-capitano. The Watcher’s Council turns Giles into a vampire in a misguided effort to get Buffy to do its bidding. Spike reluctantly ends up with the fledge-sitting duties, and the surprises just keep coming. Words: about 13 500.
- Bruises and Broken Spirits by Tonya. Giles/Anya. In the aftermath of "Grave", Anya and Giles bond. Words: about 3 600.
- Hugh Grant Explains It All for You by LJS. Giles/Anya, season 6. In a world falling apart, Giles and Anya test the axiom "better living through pop culture," most especially the masterworks of Hugh Grant (and Richard Curtis). Words: about 19 000.
- There’s Something To Be Said About Age And Experience by Mydeira. Giles/Anya. Season 7, talk and sex. Words: about 4 000.
Other Giles Het
- Axis Mundi by sophiahelix. Giles/Willow. Willow isn't such a fast learner after all. Words: about 2 200.
- Candy in the Freezer by Mikelesq. Giles/Joyce. Giles' alter ego Ripper makes an unexpected return. Words: about 7 000.
- Corpus et Sanguis by Trekker. Giles/Willow. A vengeful spell leaves Giles in a condition he never imagined he'd be in, and changes his life completely. Mpreg. Words: about 57 000.
- Lies My Lover Told Me by Glassdarkly. Giles/Olivia, post-series. Sometimes Giles wishes he could lie again... Words: about 3 600.
- Praeludere by Florrie. Giles/Cordelia. He couldn’t care less where Cordelia slept. The cockroaches and she should be extremely happy together at the Sunnydale Motel... Words: about 5 000.
- The Waking by Mad Poetess. Unusual Giles/OC vignette. Words: about 10 700.
- Antitype by Sarah T.. Where did Giles get all that magical power at the end of Season 6? A coven in Devon? I'd like to test that theory... Words: about 3 000.
- Broken English by Estepheia. Ethan is dead. Killed while imprisoned by the Initiative. Then why is he idly leaning against the Autobahn-sign, holding a little take-away tray with two tall plastic cups, waving a crudely painted cardboard sign that bears the letters COW? Words: about 21 000.
- Host by estepheia.Giles is visited by an uninvited guest. Words: about 6 700.
- The Nature Of Felines by sparklebutch. Giles/Ethan. Giles, Ethan and a cat. Words: about 700
- In the Morning of the Magicians by Indri. Giles and Ethan, the electric Kool-Aid funky Satan groove year, in the early seventies.
- Doing It Wrong by thea_bromine. How does a vampire with no reflection do that? Answer: he gets a Watcher to help. Words: about 6 500.
- Four Step Programme by brutti ma buoni. Post ‘The Gift’, Spike and Giles have reasons to get closer. More humour than angst or romance. Words: about 1 600.
- If Strangers Meet by Ruuger. Young Giles is sent to New York to help a watcher and crosses paths with a Spike who never escaped from that submarine. Set in the late 70's with spoilers for "Why We Fight" and "The Dark Age". Words: about 18 000.
- It Never Happened by Shadowscast. Post-"Gift". Giles and the others are struggling to figure out how to live in a world without Buffy, and how to continue to protect it. An encounter with a strange demon turns Spike into an ordinary human, which complicates matters. Words: about 37 000.
- Randy and His Dad by hello spikey. “Tabula Rasa” rewrite with Spike/Giles twist and kind of an (pseudo)incest kink. Words: about 13 500.
- What Lies Within by Jenny (Lady Mol). Willow does a spell that goes badly wrong. Spike and Giles find out more about each other than they could have thought possible. This new knowlegde has consequences they find hard to control. Words: about 56 000.
See Giles/Xander page.
Other Giles Slash
- Carpe Diem by Sarah T.. Giles/Oz. On the eve of Graduation Day Oz keeps panicking... Words: about 1 000.
- Closer to Oblivion by phantisma. Giles/Angel. Post series. Giles has appetites he hasn't indulged, and the appearance of Angel, now fully human and still aching with a need for pennance, brings Giles a taste for power. Words: about 2 000.
- Grief, Written on Skin by Mireille. Giles/Wesley. Two ex-watchers mourn the Slayer. Words: about 3 500.
- Life is What Happens When You're Making Other Plans by wesleysgirl. Giles/Wesley. Human AU, Giles and Wesley in their cautious, repressed selves. Not a vampire in sight, but a great deal of bookbinding talk, which is utterly in character. Words: about 2 800.
Polyamory and Other Pairings
- Dead!Giles Series by thea_bromine. Giles/Spike/Wesley. Giles dies. But it's just a beginning of the story. Words: about 52 000.
- Into the Dark Age by Sadbhyl. Giles/Buffy/Ethan. Visiting London after her stay in Italy, Buffy makes a wish that takes her back in time. In this time, her boyfriend is Ethan Rayne, and his partner in crime Ripper seems to have a certain claim on her attention as well. Words: about 33 000.
- Learning to Be Flexible by brutti_ma_buoni. Giles/Illyria/Spike. Three non-teenagers stuck in the stronghold of the Slayerettes. They can't play gin rummy all the time... Can they?. Words: about 1 500.
- Lust at First Sight by feliciacraft. Giles/surprise. It was lust at first sight - Giles knew as soon as he set his eyes on her, all the way across the room. Words: about 600.
- Responsible Adults (aka, The Menageaverse) by Sadbhyl. Giles/Ethan/Joyce. Joyce Summers walked into a bar...and created an alternate universe. Words: about 309 000.
- Giles and the "Wild Woman" by norwie2010. Thoughts about Giles, his role on the TV show and his relationship with different women. (2012)
- What Happens When Obi-Wan Doesn't Die by molly-may. On Giles' characterization in seasons 6 and 7 of BtVS. (2011)
- A Watcher's Job: On Giles' Story in Season Eight by local_max. On Giles story arc in S8 of Buffy comics. (2010)
- "For the Greater Good": Giles in "Lies My Parents Told Me" by Trekker. A justification of one of Giles' most controversial actions.
- Enemies Make the Best Friends by stakebait. Giles/Angel shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- Giles/Anya in Deep Focus by ljs. Giles/Anya shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- “The Perfect Thing” by jedi_penguin. Giles/Buffy shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- “We Go Back”: Rupert Giles and Ethan Rayne by Trekker. Giles/Ethan shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- "Feel the passion?" by regalish. Giles/Jenny shipper's manifesto. (2009)
- Our Lives Are Different Than Other People's by glossolalia. Giles/Oz shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- Giles and Spike: The Watcher and the Vampire by janedavitt. Giles/Spike shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- Who Watches the Watchers by lostgirlslair. Giles/Wesley shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- Love, Magic and "Spurty Knowledge": the Willow/Giles Pairing by gwynnega. Giles/Willow shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- The Mind and the Heart: A Giles/Xander Manifesto by stoptocheer. Giles/Xander shipper's manifesto. (2004)
- "The Earth is Doomed: The Core Four" by wisdomeagle. Buffy/Giles/Willow/Xander shipper's manifesto. (2005)
- When You Girls Are Older You'll Understand by sadbhyl. Joyce/Giles/Ethan shipper's manifesto. (2005)
- Giles and Jenny wearing matching sweaters by benonceandthefankettes. (2015)
- Teen!Giles by pulvis. (2014)
- Dawn AU: Young Dawn and Giles by onegirlinalltheworld, gifset. (2014)
- Before he was a Watcher he was Ripper by watsonprime. (2014)
- Buffy and Giles by Jack Flamel. (2014)
- The ‘Should Be’ Prom by enigmaticagentalice. Giles/Jenny AU (2013)
- The Slayer Slays, the Watcher... Watches? by eagling. (2013)
- Welcome to the Hellmouth by louisesaunders. (2012)
- Hobbit!Giles by smth_blue. (2010)
- Blue by sueworld. (2010)
- Rupert Giles works on Ao3
- BuffyGiles.net a Buffy/Giles Archive
- of Demons and Destiny
- No One Knows (Giles/Xander)
- Hairy Eyeball (Willow/Giles)
- Wish I Could Stay