|Date(s):||before May 2003|
|Length:||6,890 words (one-shot)|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Dancing Queen, along with Maya's other fics, was taken offline in November 2008 when Maya went pro. Though Maya has requested that fans not share her work with others, copies of the story can still be found uploaded online or exchanged via email, either on its own or as part of The Complete Works of Maya.
Summary: "Dudley in leather! Some H/D also."
Alternate summary: "Dudley wears leather trousers and takes Harry to a gay club. But it's H/D really."
Recs & Reviews
This is one of the funniest stories I've come across in quite a while. The first couple of sentences in I was snorting with laughter. Any story that starts out with Dudley in patent leather pants (*shudder*) has to be humorous. (Yes, Duddikins weighs as much as he does in the books.) Dudley has come out as gay you see and he drags Harry to a gay bar with him...Wait, where are you going? Come back here. That's part of the funny, I swear. Maya takes this old cliche and totally makes it a laugh riot. You see Harry, unlike Dudley, is quite in denial of his sexuality. Which leads to more of the funny, because who should he run into but Draco Malfoy and Blaise Zabini. Well, more hilarity ensues from there, because Draco is equally in denial. You get the picture. This is one of those fics that should come with a warning tag, "Do not eat or drink while reading this fic. Could be dangerous to your health and your keyboard."
Go read. Enjoy.
Ha! Lovely, snarky, glittery, gay, and simply, utterly wonderful. Harry Potter is eventually convinced to abandon the staid path of heterosexuality; Draco Malfoy in glitter helps along. (As does Dudley. Don't ask.) Only Maya can make me hot and bothered with truly beautiful descriptions of kisses one minute, and have me giggling madly the next.
Draco/Harry. The first Maya fic I read, and the fic that made me fall for H/D. I honestly hadn't seen the attraction, before this point, even with the way the entire fandom is flooded with it.
Despite the image of Dudley in leather which some part of me is still whimpering about, this is simply gorgeous. Dudley drags Harry to a Muggle gay bar.
Maya has the ability to tap right into what I find funny. I love this, it's great and funny and it has the little details which snap the fic right into your reality. Harry maintains he's straight, even when Dudley (clad in skin-tight leather trousers) drags him to a local gay bar. Harry's stuck drinking bacardi breezers and trying not to find Draco pretty, even though Draco's drugged up and desperate to do a rendition of Abba on stage. Fab. Hilarious.
I love this one. Harry is clueless, Dudley is flaming gay and Malfoy's wearing silver glitter. It's funny and sweet, but I have to warn you for Dudley's leather pants...
I love this story like little girls love tiny furry mammals: with a wholehearted glee that leads my voice to lift itself to previously unimaginably lofty registers, the better to burst the eardrums of insufficiently excited bystanders. It...Dudley! In leather pants! Forcing Harry to go to a gay club with him! Where they meet Blaise Zabini and Draco Malfoy! And then, impossibly, it gets better! And if you think those exclamation marks are excessive, you have clearly not read this story.
This one is special becuz of the amount of love I hold for it. It is a guaranteed laugh any where, any time of the day. It holds a sweet ending. It's just tons of fun. Dudley in tight leather pants and gay clubs to funny to keep to myself.
Hrm, I cant even say this was campy, it was just a dorky short story with many jokes at Dudley's expense (he dares to wear some very tight and ill fitting clothes), a blissed out Draco, a pissed off Blaise and a rather insistently 'not bent' squeaky Harry that all takes place within the space of a few hours at a gay club. Somewhat amusing but too OOC if you ask me, especially Draco...
- Header info from the story's posting at the Potter Slash Archive. (Archived 20 February 2007.)
- For example, see links in recs by Sascha (14 April 2004) and switchknife (02 May 2004).
- .::Quills::. Results at GeoCities, archived by the Wayback Machine 17 January 2008, and 2006 Results > Comedy Category Results at www.quills.spak.org, archived by the Wayback Machine 10 October 2007.
- Summary included on Maya's author page at the Potter Slash Archive. (Archived 17 February 2007.)
- ladyclio16 / slashslutsrecs at LiveJournal. Dancing Queen by Maya, posted 13 December 2003. (Accessed 29 September 2016.)
- switchknife's slash recommendations. ...harry/draco..., last updated 09 August 2004. (Accessed 29 September 2016.)
- cest_what on LiveJournal. Harry Potter Fic Recs, posted 03 January 2005, updated 19 August 2008. (Accessed 29 September 2016.)
- sunsetmog / mog_reads at LiveJournal. Harry Potter: Fic Recs: Draco/Harry, posted 18 October 2005. (Accessed 29 September 2016.)
- Kristina's Corner. Harry Potter Recs, posted 2005 or before. (Accessed 29 September 2016.)
- strina at rec50 on Dreamwidth. Double Dare, Dancing Queen, posted 30 April 2006. (Accessed 29 September 2016.)
- iatethebunny at furious_words on LiveJournal. Harry Potter, posted 22 May 2006. (Accessed 29 September 2016.)
- Teetee at Goodreads. Review of Dancing Queen by Maya Mistful, rated three out of five stars; posted 30 November 2015. (Accessed 29 September 2016.)