Star Trek: Discovery
|Name:||Star Trek: Discovery|
|Creator:||Bryan Fuller, Alex Kurtzman|
|Date(s):||September 24, 2017 – present|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Star Trek: Discovery is the sixth live-action television series set in the Star Trek universe. It began airing in September of 2017.
The show is set roughly ten years before the events of Star Trek: The Original Series, seeing the united Klingon houses in a war with the United Federation of Planets that involves the crew of the USS Discovery.
- Michael Burnham
- Ash Tyler / Voq
- Paul Stamets
- Gabriel Lorca
- Philippa Georgiou
- Sylvia Tilly
- Hugh Culber
- Amanda Grayson
- Harcourt Fenton Mudd
During Season One, Mirror Universe duplicates of several characters were featured, including:
In season 1, some fans of other Star Trek properties disliked DSC because of its seeming disregard for canon. There were fans who were unhappy with the design and portrayal of Klingons. Some fans disliked the futuristic look of the show, as they felt it wasn't in keeping with a prequel to Star Trek: TOS. While many fans recalled similar dislike for new Star Trek movies and TV series in the past, other believed that Discovery had gone too far.
First show to rewrite and reimagine an existing Trek era, first show that isn’t episodic, first show centered around a single character instead of an ensemble, first show to make war its central narrative thread, first show behind a paywall.
CBS's decision to release the series on their streaming platform, but only show the first episode live on TV was also disparaged by fans. Many saw it as a blatant attempt to increase subscription numbers, but the series was available outside the US on Netflix.
Some fans unhappy with changes made in Discovery edited the series to improve its watchability. Many of these edits were available on torrent sites. One editor explained how and why they edited the series:
Just so some fans know, the new series has been fanedited.
These edits where done so my kids will watch the new show. 
- Less Micheal Burnham telling people off
- Less over the top 80's action hero stuff from the main character
- No swear words. Star Trek never really needed em
- No outright gay characters. Now the characters have clues they are gay, and clues they are not. Like what Ridley Scott did with Dekard. Is he a replicant? He could be, and he might not be.
- Sarak now has a more stable and strong character story. He is no longer dressed down by the unkillable, unlikable 80's action hero female.
- Plus some edits to keep the fight or flight plot tamed down a tad.
While some fans didn't believe an openly gay relationship should be shown on a Star Trek show, some LGBT fans were also unhappy with the treatment of that relationship.
- Michael Burnham/Ash Tyler
- Paul Stamets/Hugh Culber
- Michael Burnham/Philippa Georgiou
- Michael Burnham/Gabriel Lorca
- How Star Trek: Discovery is challenging my understanding of my own fandom
- Star Trek Las Vegas – 2017: Star Trek Fandom at a Crossroads