|Fandom:||Rise of the Guardians/Frozen, The Big Four, The Super Six|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
These two characters actually, although on the outside seem to be very different have a lot in common personality wise. Their sacrifices and love for their younger siblings (Jack died to save his younger sister. Elsa isolated herself to protect her sister whom she cared about even though it was killing her inside; sacrificing some of her childhood, all of her teen’s years, the start of her adult life just to keep Anna and her family safe from herself), and their loneliness, isolation: Jack was alone for hundreds of years, unable to interact with someone, while that Elsa was isolated in her room, far away from everyone, keeping herself in isolation). They could bond and find comfort in one another over. Jack didn’t interact with someone for years; no one could touch him as he was a spirit, whereas Elsa, locked alone for years in her room, refused to let everyone touch her all in order to protect them. They could find comfort one another knowing they are not alone; to know that there is someone else going through what they are going through.
The two conflicting personalities could definitely lead to some very interesting interactions and tensions. Elsa is quiet, regal, mature and reserved as the perfect Queen, while Jack is very playful, a fun loving, mischievous, and trouble making spirit. They balance each other out, Elsa showing him the importance of being serious, and Jack showing her the importance of having fun and "letting it go". This has become quite a popular ship.
Others try to argue that Jack is over 300 years old, compared to Elsa who is only 21 years old. This is a popular trope in fiction pairing an immortal with a mortal (as an immortal vampire with a simple mortal human), the tragedy of their seperation through the test of time a preferable tool for drama and tragedy.
The crossover pairing became quite popular after Frozen's release in November 2013; various forms of fanworks could be found: fanart, gifs, vids, fanfiction. Due to this, Elsa was often added to the Big Four fandom. The pairing was nicknamed "Jelsa" by fans. It's by far one of the largest pairings for Elsa and one of the top pairings for Jack Frost as well.
One of the more influential artists for the Jelsa pairing was Kazeki, who had inspired a lot of people to fall in love with the pairing. However due to many people stealing her fanart and reposting them or making merchandise out of them she ended up leaving the internet (and fandoms in general).
Common Tropes & Genres
- Like Burning by disarmed - "She lets out a nervous little laugh and backs away. 'I am delusional. You are obviously a figment of my imagination. Anna's ridiculous engagement has gotten to me. Now I'm creating men.' She gives him an appraising sort of look. 'I could have done worse, I suppose.'"
- check the pipes for frost ;, not in so many words ;, and apples ; by therentyoupay
- Beware His Frozen Heart by Reyzel616 - "Trapped in a kingdom of Isolation, Elsa was never accepted by the people in her kingdom. She never had a proper childhood. She never experienced love. After Elsa brought summer back to Arendelle everyone was happy, except for Elsa. She became sad and lonely seeing how everyone had someone except her. That is until she found a man under the ice. His name was Jack..."
- Jelsa - You don't need to be alone anymore
- Jack Frost/Elsa
- Jack/Elsa gif
- Wintery Love
- The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway Picspam
- Let's frost the world together!
- I won't give up
- Broken Love
- Media:Kristoff & Anna, Jack & Elsa - By The Boab Tree - Angela Little
- Miles Jack Frost and Elsa
- Winter Love - Elsa and Jack
- Somebody That I Used To Know | Elsa x Jack (feat Pitch)
- Jack & Elsa - Frost Killing Hour
- Jack/Elsa It's too cold
- Elsa and Jack Frost // Afraid
- Moon and Star (Jelsa)
- (Jelsa) Let It Go/Let Her Go
- MMD Jack and Elsa - Anything you can do
- ❝g ℓ α ѕ ѕ н e α r т❞ -- נαcκ/εʟsα
- (Jelsa) Frozen Heart
- Fans help Jack Frost and Queen Elsa find magical, Frosty Love by Aja Romano at The Daily Dot (March 3, 2014)
- Why Jack Frost and Elsa make the cutest couple ever at Buzzfeed
- In Defense of Jelsa, and Why I Ship It Why I Luxury cruise Jelsa (Anti-Jelsa Arguments) by jazzphatheredux on Tumblr
- Why I Ship Jelsa frequently brought up arguments by foreverdelighted on Tumblr
- Jack Frost and Elsa at FrozenShips