Dwarfism and Fandom
|Trope · Genre|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Dwarfism is a condition caused by medical or genetic factors, resulting in the person being much shorter than they would have been without these factors. Humans with dwarfism exist in several canons and fandoms.
Canon Characters with Dwarfism
Individual characters with important and/or recurring roles:
- Dr. Miguelito Loveless, the fabulous arch nemesis of James West in the Wild Wild West tv series (1965), played by actor Michael Dunn, who had spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia. Both the canon and fanfic devote attention to Loveless' feelings about his stature.
- Tattoo, Roarke's assistant in Fantasy Island (1977-84). Played by Hervé Villechaize. The character did not appear in the later remake.
- Dr. Robert "Mongo" Frederickson, a.k.a. Mongo the Magnificent, a fictional former acrobat turned private eye and criminologist, in novels by George C. Chesbro (1977-96).
- Tangina Barrons, a medium in the Poltergeist film series (1982-88), played by Zelda Rubinstein.
- Big Figure, a criminal killed by Rorschach during a prison riot in Watchmen (1986). Played by Danny Woodburn in the 2009 film.
- Miles Vorkosigan and Mark Vorkosigan in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga (1986-); though neither are genetically short, they are often referred to as dwarfs.
- The Man from Another Place, one of the Black Lodge denizens in Twin Peaks (1990-91), played by Michael J. Anderson.
- Mickey Abbott, a regular character on the sitcom Seinfeld, (1994-8) Played by Danny Woodburn.
- Emily Resnick, an attorney in Family Law (2002). Played by Meredith Eaton.
- Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones (1998-). Played by Peter Dinklage (2011-)
- Mini-Me, clone of Dr. Evil in the Austin Powers films (1999-2002). Played by Verne Troyer.
- Marty Pearson, a forensic scientist who was briefly Abby Sciuto's boyfriend in NCIS (2006). Played by Michael Gilden
- Bethany Horowitz, an attorney in Boston Legal (2006-8). Played by Meredith Eaton.
- Alex Radziwill, a senior State Department official in Bones (2006, 2013, 2014). Played by Danny Woodburn.
- Carol Wilson, a CDC immunologist in NCIS and NCIS: New Orleans (2009-14). Played by Meredith Eaton.
- Meredith Oberling, a medical examiner in Battle Creek (2015-). Played by Meredith Eaton.
Fandoms with multiple characters who have dwarfism:
- The CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episode A Little Murder (2002) was set at a convention for persons of small stature.
- The Hobbit RPF and Lord of the Rings RPF - Several of the body doubles for the Hobbits were actors with dwarfism. The most well-known is stunt actor Kiran Shah, who was Elijah Wood's body double in Lord of the Rings and Martin Freeman's and Ian Holm's body double in The Hobbit.
Fanworks about characters with dwarfism include:
- Short and Sweet by Batzugler; Buffy, Mongo the Magnificent crossover -- Size matters not.
- Works Based on Fantasy Island at AO3
- Works tagged as Tyrion Lannister at AO3
- Works containing Meredith Oberling at [AO3]
- Most Vorkosigan Saga stories on AO3