|Type:||fan writer, fan artist, moderator, archivist|
|Communities:||FictionAlley, HP_Paradise, ParadigmOfUncertainty, HP_FanFiction, Ranting_Page|
|URL:||Colin at FanFiction.Net|
colinff at LiveJournal (friendslocked)
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
He created his FanFiction.Net account on June 26, 2000 (almost two weeks before the publication of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), and posted his first work in June or July 2000. Flourish included him on her list of Some Notable Oldies in the Harry Potter fandom.
Colin participated in several early Harry Potter mailing lists, including HP_FanFiction, HP_Paradise, and ParadigmOfUncertainty. He was also a beta reader, for example for Not Quite Paradise by George Weasley's Girlfriend, and created fan art such as fanfic covers for some stories on the lists.
In 2001, Colin helped start FictionAlley, and was active as a moderator and archivist who manually uploaded stories to the archive. At the time he was underage; this was cited by Heidi as one of the reasons FictionAlley didn't host NC-17 fanworks.
Involvement in the Cassie Claire Plagiarism Scandal
Colin was a minor player in the Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle, described in Avocado's exposé as "a Cassandra Claire fanboy". Colin was the first person to learn that Cassandra Claire had been reported to FanFiction.Net for plagiarism after the FanFiction.Net staff themselves and Avocado, who reported the plagiarism. Avocado emailed Colin informing him of the plagiarism after seeing him rec The Draco Trilogy on the FanFiction.Net forums.
In June 2001, after Cassandra Claire's account was deleted and her fans were in a collective uproar, Colin posted to ParadigmOfUncertainty and HP_Paradise confessing that he had known that Cassandra Claire had been reported ahead of the deletion of her account, and that he knew who had reported her but had promised not to reveal their identity. He received some flames criticising him for not acting on his knowledge, but many others were understanding, and he remained on good terms with Cassie's friends. Colin wrote that he thought Cassie's ban was "terrible", and that he was considering removing his own stories from FanFiction.Net in protest. He may have subsequently created banners in support of Cassandra Claire.
- I'll Never Forget You - "A distressed Neville writes a heartfelt letter to his parents in hopes that they'll get better...My first attempt at a tearjerker. R/R Please!" (fic, 15 Sep 2000)
- The Boy Who Lived - "A poem about the life, times and losses of (you guessed it) Harry Potter. GoF spoiler! Please R/R!" (poem, 21 Aug 2000)
- Pretty Fly (For a White Guy!)...A Filk! - "*evil grin* My first filk, of the Offspring's "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)". Please R/R!" (filk, 25 Jul 2000)
- "N.K. Stouffer's Secret" (fic, nominated for the Golden Toads, now offline)
- Colin's Bio at FanFiction.Net, accessed 18 November 2016. His his earliest work currently on the site was posted July 25, 2000 (Pretty Fly (For a White Guy!)...A Filk!), but it is unclear whether it was his first: at least one of his stories ("N.K. Stouffer's Secret") has since been removed.
- Whoa! Golden Toads update!, posted by pisces_2004 at Harry Potter for Teenage Witches, 02 January 2001.
- Colin became a beta for Not Quite Paradise in July 2001, starting for Chapter 7 and continuing for Chapter 8, according to the fic's author's notes: see Chapter 7 (18 July 2001) and Chapter 8 (27 January 2002) at HP_Paradise (viewable to members only but membership is unmoderated). AngieJ also announced in August 2001 that Colin would join the team of "betas and consultants" for Paradise Lost (see AngieJ's post August 17, 2001 at HP_Paradise), but he does not appear to have been credited among the betas in the author's notes of any of the fic's chapters.
- For example, Colin created fanfic covers for the first two stories of Cassandra Claire's Draco Trilogy: Draco Dormiens (uploaded to ParadigmOfUncertainty on 13 November 2000) and Draco Sinister (uploaded to ParadigmOfUncertainty on 11 November 2000).
- For an example of his work with FictionAlley, see this message at FictionAlleyWriters and Artists, 11 August 2001. (WebCite.)
- Comment by heidi8 on maeglinyedi's post 'Elite' archives?, 28 March 2005.
- "The reason for keeping them separate was that a number of our mods, including Flourish, Colin, Rex, Starling, Priscilie, Mack, Phil, etc., were under 18, and we thought it would be too difficult to keep them from being exposed to the NC17 stories, and still host them on the site, in part because Flourish and Colin were so active in the (then entirely manual) uploading process that summer and fall."
- Author's note for Pretty Fly (For a White Guy!)...A Filk!, published 25 July 2000.
- The Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle -- "Intro through Part IV" by Avocado, posted 04 August 2006. Archived 15 October 2014 by the Wayback Machine.
- Colin's post (dated 23 June 2001) and reactions to it were quoted in The Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle, Part V, by Avocado. (Archived 22 October 2013 by the Wayback Machine).
- Avocado states in The Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle, Part V: "As I recall, Colin later went on to create banners and buttons declaring his support for Cassandra Claire. (archived 22 October 2013 by the Wayback Machine). See also Re: support button, posted 24 June 2001 at ParadigmOfUncertainty.
- heidi8 at fandom_history. Since someone asked..., posted 27 February 2004.