Carmilla (web series)
|Creator:||Jordan Hall, Steph Ouaknine, Jay Bennett|
|Date(s):||2014 - 2016|
|Country of Origin:||Canada|
|External Links:||at IMDb|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Carmilla is a Canadian single frame web series on Youtube loosely based on the 1872 novella of the same name by Irish author Sheridan Le Fanu. Initially believed to be a modernized interpretation of the text, the web series was, to many viewers' delight, ultimately very different from the classic Gothic novel.
There are many other outlets on social media sites (such as Twitter), where fans can follow the characters' stories when they are not on-screen. Currently boasting over 10 million views, the first season consists of 36 three to seven minute episodes and the second season, announced in November, has over 20 episodes of the same length. The third and final season has 36 episodes.
With the final season concluded, the showrunners announced plans to create a Carmilla movie. The movie was funded in part by presales and fans purchasing bonus behind-the-scenes Carmilla content. It was released in October 2017, following the characters into the future and showing more of Carmilla's past relationship with Elle Sheridan.[note 1]
Small town girl Laura Hollis has just finally moved out to go to Silas University. When her missing roommate is replaced without explanation, Laura vows to find out what is happening on campus while she deals with her new roomy... a vampire.
The fandom calls themselves the Creampuffs, named after one of Carmilla's many nicknames for Laura.
They are most active on Tumblr and Twitter. Popular fanworks are screencaps or gif sets, but also traditional fanart, fanfic, fanvids, and the occasional comic. Some fans RP additional characters on Twitter or things like "Laura's Camera" on Twitter.
Although the characters directly address their viewers, there is very little interaction with them in character, though there were moments in which the characters answered questions through their tumblr accounts. Some of the writers and actors watch the fandom closely, reblogging fanart or commenting on fan discussions. Some fans welcome this more than others, and some comments by a writer and actors that were seen as intimidating by some fans led to an extended discussion about the Fourth Wall and the creators' involvement in the fandom.
The show has almost exclusively queer female relationships, since a large part of the cast is female. The show's only confirmed canon pairing is Laura/Carmilla, confirmed by an onscreen kiss in the final episode of season one. The relationship between LaFontaine/Perry, however, is in large part accepted in the fanon since they are canonically nearly inseparable best friends. The other popular pairing is Laura/Danny, which gained a fandom after Danny's first appearance in episode 12.
There are virtually no slash pairings.
- Hollstein is the pairing name for Laura/Carmilla.
- Hollenstein is the pairing name for Laura/Carmilla/Danny
- LaFerry is LaFontaine/Perry
- Hollence is Laura/Danny
- Lawstein is Danny/Carmilla
- LaFlashDrive is LaFontaine/JP
- Zeta Society is Kirsch/Danny
- Creampuff is the term for a fan of the series
- Tampon Fandom is another name for the fandom, due to the fact that the Carmilla webseries was sponsored by a tampon company
- Fool's Gold by whatsthedamage, started 2014, incomplete. Alternatively referred to as "Carmilla High School AU," because it is assumed everyone will know which one.
- Kept by bodylikeabattleaxe, started 2014, incomplete. Alternatively referred to as "The Zookeeper AU."
Romanimp - "Much as I love drawing the casts’ faces, I wanted to do something that could also serve as a book cover, or something of that ilk. So I picked some of the major symbolism and did a little still-life."
Romanimp - "In honour of the last episode of Carmilla, I give you a not-quite-finished poster. Maybe I’ll fix the hair later. Maybe."
Archives and Fannish Links
- Carmilla works at AO3
- Carmilla Fanfiction, Archived version
- Official Series Tumblr
- Canon Transmedia
- r/carmillatheseries on Reddit
- carmilla-feels-hq on Tumblr
- carmilla-reviewed on Tumblr
- carmillatranscripts on Tumblr
- silaslibraryclub on Tumblr
- Elle's last name is a reference to the author of the novella, Joseph Sheridan LeFanu.
Elle Sheridan is supposed to be the original "Laura" from the novella. Extracted from The Carmilla Movie • IMDb Trivia