Back-to-Back (Hardcastle and McCormick fanzine)
|Publisher:||Intertwined Press/Delta Triad Productions|
|Fandom:||Hardcastle and McCormick|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Regular Issues
Back to Back 1 was published in March 1985 and contains 13 stories and poems and a crossword puzzle. The fanzine is 106 pages and has front and back covers by Caren Parnes.
- Background Info: Hardcastle by Melinda Reynolds (1)
- Background Info: McCormick by Melinda Reynolds (3)
- A Matter of Routine by Lizabeth S. Tucker--Hardcastle returns from a court case to find Gulls Way ripped off, and the gatehouse vandalized. After clearing McCormick, they team up with a lady officer and her partner to track down the crooks. (10)
- Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude by Lizabeth S. Tucker--In an attempt to wangle a job from a suspected murderer, McCormick is injured in a demo derby, & Hardcastle has to put his investigation on the sidelines. Meanwhile, a parole officer is questioning the legality of Mark's parole and his involvement in the Judge's cases. (29)
- Honor and Loyalty by Lizabeth S. Tucker--Hardcastle aids the CIA in capturing a renegade CIA agent suspected of selling out to the Soviets, by setting up McCormick as a decoy. But plans go awry, and during a shootout, a head wound leaves McCormick believing he's 17, with no memory of anyone or anything past 1971. (64)
- A Dialogue for One by Judy Darnell--Poem. (103)
- Arizona Modifieds, a Postscript by Judy Darnell--Poem. (104)
Back-to-Back 2 has some Riptide content. It was published in November/December 1985 and contains 120 pages.
- Background Info: Cody Allen by Carlotta Vaughn (1)
- Background Info: Nick Ryder by Carlotta Vaughn (2)
- Background Info: Murray Bozinsky by Carlotta Vaughn (4)
- The Technicolor Nightmare by Cathy L. Bryson--The son and daughter of a serviceman killed in Vietnam blame Nick and Cody for their father's death and want revenge. (6)
- Confession is Good for the Soul by Carlotta Vaughn--Cody and Boz accept a case while Nick is away at guard camp, and on his return he angrily informs them that the agency is working for a loan shark operation. (26)
- Crossword (37)
- View from the Contessa by Carlotta Vaughn--Poem. (39)
Hardcastle & McCormick
- Not Lookin' to be Buddies by Judy Darnell--In San Francisco on their first case after "Rolling Thunder", Mark and the Judge learn just what they can expect from each other. (40)
- Nothing Remains Quite the Same by Lizabeth S. Tucker--Sequel to "Changes In Latitude, Changes In Attitude". McCormick is removed from Hardcastle's custody as the parole and probation board try to determine if the Judge's war on crime is placing McCormick in undue danger. (69)
- Some You Win, Some You Lose by Judy Darnell--A rapist-murderer has killed the daughter of an old friend of Hardcastle's and the Judge involves himself in the police investigation. The killer is currently tracking his next victim, a young woman whom he believes lives at Gulls Way. (94)
- And That's the Best Present of All by Judy Darnell--Poem. (118)
- All the Songs My Father Never Sang by Judy Darnell--Poem. (119)
- The Young Man and the Old by Judy Darnell--Poem. (120)
Back-To-Back 3 was published in the summer of 1986 and contains 135 pages. Caren Parnes is the front cover artist.
- The Prophecy by Sandra Hanson--During his racing days with Flip Johnson, McCormick attends a Halloween party with some friends; while there, a Tarot deck reveals his possible future, which he refuses to believe. (2)
- Soul Play by Lizabeth Tucker--While visiting the Haunted House exhibit at a Charity Fair, the evil spirit of the long-dead Spencer Milligan attempts to return to life by 'possessing' McCormick. (6) (also in Psychic Investigations #2)
- Mersilde by Judy Darnell--Hardcastle unknowingly purchases an ancient mirror at an estate auction. Imprisoned by a warlock within the mirror is the demon Mersilde, who seeks escape through the lifeforce of another. (41)
- The Thief and the Magician by Lizabeth Tucker--A local carnival is closing down, as several children have disappeared from its grounds without a trace. The Judge and Mark are there on the last day, and are inexplicably transported to a "Dungeons and Dragons" type universe, and cannot leave until their 'quest' is completed. (86)
Back-To-Back 4 was published in Summer 1988 and contains 134 pages. Front and back covers are by Kate Nuernberg.
- The Ties that Bind by Judy Darnell (1)
- Reparations by Lizabeth S. Tucker (31)
- All's Fair in Love and War by D.D. Brischke (61)
- Payback by Lizabeth S. Tucker (79)
- Sentence Executed by Alison Wilson (109)
- Justin by Alison Wilson (111)
- Seal of Approval by Alison Wilson--Mark's mother meets the Judge. AU. (115)
- The Late Return by Linda Wood (117)
- Update: H&McC Fiction by Melinda Reynolds (119)
- Journal Entries by Lizabeth Tucker & Rowena Warner (126)
|front cover of issue #4, a no frills edition
- In Your Shadow by Melinda Reynolds
- other unknown content
- Where the Wild Wind Blows by Judy Darnell
- Kindred Spirits by Melinda Reynolds
- Especially McCormick by Wood
- Both Sides Now by Melinda Reynolds and Judy Darnell
- other unknown content
In between each issue of Back to Back, these supplements were published to showcase shorter stories by the same authors in the regular issues.
Back-to-Back Supplement 1 was published in 1986 and is 83 pages long.
- Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life by Teri White (1)
- Dialog Between Scorpion and Scorpio by Melinda Reynolds (7)
- Lip Service by Lizabeth Tucker (10)
- Learning to Live with Losing by Lizabeth Tucker (12)
- Tequila Sunrise by Judy Darnell (22)
- Winner Takes All by Melinda Reynolds (44)
- Double or Nothing by Melinda Reynolds (49)
Back-to-Back Supplement 2 was published in Aug/Sept 1986.
- Ready to Begin Again by Judy Darnell (3)
- Testing the Ground by Teri White (5)
- Everything Old is New Again by Judy Darnell--Mark goes home to see his dying grandmother. (11)
- Sometimes I Feel Like a Fatherless Child by Teri White (45)
- It's the Thought That Counts by Teri White (48)
- New Game in Town by Sandra Hanson (51)
- A Little Magic by Shirley Sipe (53)
- Time in a Bottle by Lizabeth S. Tucker (59)
- Chronology by Kathy Costello (74)
Back-to-Back Supplement 3 was published in December 1986. It has 87 pages.
- Too Late for Regrets by Linda Wood (2)
- Photographs and Memories by Judy Darnell (4)
- Yesterday, When I was Young by Judy Darnell--Mark and Hardcastle are captured by a delusional Vietnam veteran. (25)
- Love and Loving by Lizabeth S. Tucker (47)
- The Crash by Lizabeth S. Tucker (52)
- Anything I Own by L. Tucker and M. Reynolds (55)
Back-to-Back Supplement 4
Back-to-Back Supplement 5 contains 108 pages. From Media Monitor: "Contains the following fiction: Hardcastle appropriates the unused with given to McCormick by the Leprechauns; An argument, a stormy day, and borrowed car result in a near-fatal accident wherein McCormick has a near-dath experience -- and discovers that angels aren't what he expected them to be... and neither is the judge; Hardcastle finds that truck buying ain't what it used to be."
- What are Friends For, Anyway? by Melinda Reynolds (1)
- Still Truckin' by Melinda Reynolds (33)
- Sometimes the Dreamer by Linda Wood and William Kounter (51)
Sometimes stories came in after the current issue of Back to Back had gone to print, and not wanting to wait another full year to get these stories into the hands of eager fans, the editor decided to put out one- or two-story addenda zines.
Back-to-Back Addenda 1 was published in 1987 and contains 61 pages and four stories.
- Change Your Partners by Lizabeth S. Tucker (2) (crossover with Starsky and Hutch) (reprinted from Ruff Cutz 1)
- Pleasant Valley Sunday by Lizabeth S. Tucker (18)
- Choices by Judy Darnell (30)
- The Bar-B-Q by Melinda Reynolds (44) (reprinted from Zines My Father Sold Me)
Back-to-Back Addenda 2 was published in 1989 and contains 45 pages.
- The Spy That Came in from Clarence by D.D. Brischke--Hardcastle's female cousin comes to visit Los Angeles and gets involved with crooks and a Russian spy. (1)
- Outside Looking In by A.L. Goss--Hardcastle waits for Mark to wake up in "If You Could See What I See". (29)
- Just to Have You Back Again by Angela Rivieccio (41)
Back-to-Back Addenda 3 was published in 1989 and revised in 2002. It contains 86 pages.
- What are Friends For, Anyway? by Melinda Reynolds (1)
- Xanthon, Demon of Duplicity by Melinda Reynolds (25)
Special Issue: Christmas at Gull's Way
Back-to-Back: Christmas At Gulls Way was published in December 1987 and contains 100 pages. It is a special edition, a collection of holiday fic.
The original print run was 100.