BASCon (con zine)
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Starting in 2002, the convention began soliciting fan fiction from its members and published them in fanzine. format. Every convention attendee received a complementary copy.
There were no con zines in 2006 or 2007, and possibly 2009, 2010, or 2011.
BASCon 2002 contains 88 pages and is slash. The subtitle on the cover is: "Spanning the Fandom Bridge" and the dates: November 1–3, 1002. The zine has a handful of color photographs from various shows, but there is no other interior art.
- At The Turning Of The Year by Lisa Weston (HIGHLANDER) ) (10 pages)
- Grand Theft Zoo Tram by Alexis Rogers (SIMON & SIMON) (6 pages)
- Too Dear For My Processing by BCW (Original Fiction) (20 pages)
- Trigger Happy by Helen Patrick (BLAKE’S 7) (3 pages)
- Beka’s Men by Kit Mason (Gen) (ANDROMEDA) (18 pages)
- A Sunday Afternoon by Elizabeth Christopher (HIGHLANDER) (7 pages)
- A Light Too Brilliant by Birgitt Schuknecht (MAN IN THE IRON MASK) (15 pages)
- Good Night by Cameo (SMALLVILLE) (8 pages)
BASCon 2003 contains 136 pages. All stories are slash unless otherwise noted.
- Never Too Late by Miranda (MUNCLE)
- Plain and Fancy by Executrix (Blake's 7)
- Redirected destinies by Kender (Harry Potter) (het and slash)
- Medic by DC (Tour of Duty)
- Two Gals Just Getting By by Pink Doormouse Production (Angel) (femmeslash)
- You Dancin'? You Askin'? by Executrix (het and slash)
- Someday by Cameo (Wizards & Warriors)
- Till Morning Comes by Mel (Tour of Duty)
BASCon Con Zine 2004 contains 92 pages and was published in 2004. It is the third issue in the series. There is no interior art.
- Cave-In by Lady Ra (Stargate SG-1 (1)
- Mind Game by Helen Patrick (Blake's 7) (25)
- Swordbrothers by Miranda (V) (41)
- Nocturne by Zenia (Blake's 7) (41)
- Allies in the Attic by Cameo (Eroica) (58)
- Xassasfrassed in a Zenana by Willa Shakespeare) (Blake's 7) (71)
- The Best Offer by Glenda (A-Team) (75)
- A Jewel Beyond Price by Willa Shakespeare and Zenia (Blake's 7) (81)
Reactions and Reviews: 2004
I also read the the 'Helen Patrick' B/A in the 2004 BasCon zine (the rest is largely other fandoms, and/or a B/A roleplay that's online (we know my feelings on RP-as-fic already). "Mind Games' (the fic in question) is pretty good, if short and it assumes that Avon is very good at psychoanalysis, which I find unlikely. Good dialogue and sex, though. It deals with prison rape (sigh), BUT also involves rimming, which is massively rare in this fandom (I can't think of another example besides the Enigmatic Blake, though I bet there is at least one other). Fanlore doesn't have a page on rimming, which is a shame, as I wonder whether it was very rare up until the mid 2000s (it is still rare today, admittedly - at least, it seems to be).
5 x 5: BASCon 2005 Con Zine-Let fanzine was issued in CD format and was included in the registration packets of all attending members.
- A Year to the Day (Sleepy Hollow) By Cameo
- Angel Mine (Devil’s Own) By Miranda
- The Other Side (A-Team) By Cath
- Faith (Firefly) By Coniyara
- Honeymoon (A-Team) By Glenda
EDITED by Zenia & Lady J
There was no con zine that year.
There was no con zine that year.
The BASCon 2008 fanzine was issued in CD format and was included in the registration packets of all attending members.
Table of contents
- Still Life in Black and Grey by Leela X-Files Summary: An explosion and subsequent investigation leads to a revelation about Mulder and a change in his relationship with Walter Skinner.
- I Have A Taste For Thee by Miranda Kindred Summary: Julian Luna, Prince of San Francisco has a yearning for one of his Primogens now if only he can lure the one he wants into his bed.
- Another Chance by Stillrose Buffy the Vampire Slayer Summary: Another Spike shows up in Sunnydale insisting he has a soul…and that he loves Xander.
- Double Header by Jane Mailander When Things Were Rotten Summary: Renaldo is enlightened about the difference in Robin’s feelings for him versus the other Merry Men.
- Status Quo by Jenwyn High School Musical Summary: Chad takes a hilarious swim up the river denial to a place where he can finally be who he truly is.
- There’s No Such Thing As Too Pretty by Cameo Primeval Summary: Being trapped in a dangerous situation involving a prehistoric aquatic species gives Professor Cutter time to confront Stephen with his real feelings regarding Stephen’s affair with his wife.
- Swordbrothers by Miranda V Summary: Martin requests that his human friend Michael Donovan participate in one of the rituals from before his species became conquerors.