|See also:||Kink Meme, anonymouse, Unpopular Fannish Opinion|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
An anon meme is a journal community or post where nearly all comments are anonymous. It can be a kink meme, a commentfic fest that is entirely anonymous, or it can be for anonymous comment discussion. Like kink memes, anon memes were once as likely to refer to a single post, but evolved into entire communities.
Discussion memes can be fandom-specific like spnpermanon or multifandom like fail_fandomanon. Some memes are defined more by the style of conversation and might be hate memes or love memes or capslock communities.
In some memes, thread titles are strongly encouraged so that readers can use flat view to see the responses as they come in, and changing thread titles is strongly discouraged for the convenience of tracking!nonnies and flatviewers.
Anon memes may have become popular in part because their anonymity offered an antidote to certain problems with LiveJournal culture. In a 2009 discussion about a particular meme, one fan explained that "bandflesh sprung out of a place that was largely for fandom lurkers. The social pressures of livejournal fandom were circumvented and allowed us to share, create and be a member of a community without worrying about any kind of reputation or journal upkeep." After RaceFail '09, there was also an increasing perception that the way fans were practicing social justice (calling each other out, dogpiling, etc.) was discouraging civil discourse and meta in namespace.
Downsides to anonymity include endless arguments on meme caused by anons misreading which anon held which opinion. Outsiders unfamiliar with anon memes fare even worse and tend to attribute any one comment they don't like to the meme as a whole. Finally, unmoderated anon memes tend to descend into endless wank and trolling. If unchecked, eventually the entire meme will consist of one troll replying to themselves because everyone else has left in disgust.
Many anon memes have developed their own vocabulary & abbreviations
- nonniememe - what many participants call the anon memes.
- nonnie or nonny - a participant in the meme (initially mainly in SPN fandom, use has since spread)
- nona - anonymous participant at sfd-anon
- mouse/mousie - a participant in the meme (short for anonymouse)
- anon - another term for a participant in the meme
- AYRT = Anon You Replied To
- NAYRT = Not (the) Anon You Replied To
- A AYRT RT = Anon (who) Anon You Replied To Replied To; "I'm the anon from two posts above you."
- DA = Different Anon; "I am a different anon from the one you're replying to."
- NA = New Anon; "I'm a new anon who has not commented on this thread before."
- SA = Same Anon; "I'm the same anon, replying to my own comment to edit/elaborate."
- A!A = Author Anon; "I'm the author of the commentfic, responding to feedback."
- OP = original poster
- sub-thread = When a thread with a broad topic has more specific topics brought up in each second-level comment. The top-level comment might initiate discussion of a fandom and each second-level comment a particular aspect, like fanfiction in one and ship wank in another.
- sub-thread OP = The anonymous user who first posted the topic being discussed.
- AIRT = anon I replied to
- DD = Details, details!
- LL = Link links
- NN = Name names
- anonfail = inadvertently posting a comment logged in
- threadfail = inadvertently posting a comment in the wrong thread or as a new thread instead of under the desired reply-to comment
- tabfail = inadvertently posting a comment intended for one anonmeme to another (for example, a kink meme prompt to an episode review thread)
List of anon memes
- Fanfic Haters Anonymous, created 12 June 2004
- bandflesh, created 5 June 2007
- spnpermanon, July 2009-October 2010
- glee-anon, created 15 November 2009
- Fail-Fandomanon, created 5 July 2010
- spnanonhaven, October 2010-
- Yuletide Coal, created 25 December 2010
- anon_xoxo (Gossip Girl), created 23 June 2011
- rpanons, created 21 December 2011
- Avengers-anon (deleted)
- Kpop anon memes: kpopsecretmeme2, kpsm3, kpopficsmeme, kficanon, kpopficwank, kficrevolution
- For example: Unpopular bandom opinions ahoy!, Archived version, livejournal post by untappedbeauty, 2007-12-28.
- tracking!nonnies are anons who follow the meme via gmail, which threads responses according to thread title. tracking!nonnies can be very helpful in digging up links to parts of discussions in old posts when non-tracking anons request them.
- comment by quettaser in arsenicjade's post I've got troubled thoughts, , 9 January 2009.