Overlap with Challenge?
- Yeah, I noticed that, after I created the entry. On the one hand, not all gift exchanges are challenges, and not all challenges are gift exchanges. On the other hand, as you say: overlap. My automatic instinct is to clip out some of the definitional language in challenge, and make its exposition about specific gift exchanges rather than explaining the concept. (I also noticed that whoever created that page made a lot of wikilinks to pages not yet created, so it seemed in some ways like a first blurty draft of something that would be whittled down once all those individual pages are made. Thoughts? --Vee 04:36, 25 October 2008 (UTC)
- Well, I'm the person who wrote most of the challenge page. I don't care where the information ends up, but what I initially envisioned was that the particular pages would have even more details about variations in form, controversies, popular or famous or definitional ficathons/exchanges/fests in various fandoms. But if people would prefer the "Challenge" page basically just to wikilink to pages about specific types, that would work too.
- What I'd like to see on this page is more about how *gift*exchange ficathons are different from straight up ficathons -- with the emphasis on "gifts" and pleasing the recipient/thanking the writer, the comparisons to meatspace gift-giving, the holiday spirit, etc.--Ari 04:49, 25 October 2008 (UTC)
- I don't have a problem with getting granular in this entry; I kind of figured that customs vary widely so I didn't (yet) tackle my perception of those customs except in general fashion. I think the challenge page can offer a short, contrast-y sentence about each challenge-type, a la "X-type of challenge [link] is unique for Quality Y [possible link]. History of one or two examples." So, the challenge entry would be about how each type of challenge differs from the others, rather than about the nitty gritty of each type. Which I think means we're both thinking in the same direction?
- I do want to keep the sense in each page that a basic definition be front and center, because I am a glossary nerd. --Vee 13:49, 25 October 2008 (UTC)
Info to add
- explain nominations more fully
- explain sign ups and matching better