No Homo (Teen Wolf fic)
|Date(s):||posted 2014-01-22 to 2014-03-26|
|External Links:||Fic on AO3, Podfic on AO3|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
No Homo is a popular Derek/Stiles College AU fanfic by RemainNameless, and is often recced as a fandom favorite or a must read for fans of the Sterek pairing. It was posted in 11 chapters to Archive of Our Own over the course of two months in 2014. The story is based on a real m4m Craigslist ad and features Stiles Stilinski in deep denial about his bisexuality.
Scott goes on a semester abroad, leaving Stiles, his college roommate and best friend, up to his own devices. Stiles promptly posts an ad on Craigslist for a "str8t" jerkoff buddy but with "no weird touching. just 2 dudes jerking it"; Derek, who has had a crush on him since high school, answers the ad. Stiles and Derek have a lot of sex before Stiles is willing to admit his feelings.
In January 2015, the story ranked 22nd in hits, 16th in comments, 18th in kudos, and 21st in bookmarks out of 54,263 Teen Wolf fanworks on AO3. On Goodreads, the story was voted the most popular out of a list of 258 Sterek fanfics, with 111 votes cast; the story garnered 127 reviews and 399 ratings for an average of 4.14 stars out of five.
On 9 August 2018, the author announced that they were planning to delete their AO3 account due to no longer being involved in fandom and wanting to be published professionally. The fic was orphaned.
One of many excited comments on AO3:
omg this was so perfect i can't even express my love. thank you thank you thank you for sharing with us
I loved this fic a lot. More than I expected to. The author has a great way of mixing humour with heart ache and GOD DOES IT ACHE, but it’s so worth it. Both Derek and Stiles are very well portrayed, in my opinion. The sex is really hot, and Stiles’ denial is both painful and realistic.
This is so good, I want to cry. It’s also filthy. I thought it’d be terribly out of character to have Stiles as someone who’s in genuine denial about his sexuality, but RemainNameless is such an exceptional author, s/he makes it work flawlessly.
As a gay man, I found large swaths of this fic incredibly difficult to read. It’s hard for me to imagine someone having this much denial especially in this day and age in California, although I suppose anything is possible. Still, an incredibly hot fic, and surprisingly sweet.
NO HOMO IS A MASTERPIECE. I only watched Teen Wolf because I've read No Homo (which I discovered on goodreads) and loved it. Some months later I decided to reread and discovered that it is a fanfic and I was SHOOKT.
ridiculous from start to finish and I love every bit of it
I shamelessly sit here drooling over her writing and characterisation of the perfect Sterek dynamic, bowing down in worship to her magnificent fingers and talented brain. Yes, there are bits that are a little clunky, unrealistic and downright INSANE but the rest of this is so damn good that you overlook them without even batting an eyelid. Despite never even having watched an episode of TW (I know, I know) - RemainNameless has pretty much singlehandedly drawn me into Sterek shipping.
Oh my jesus, thank you to anyone and everyone who recommended this fanfic to yours truly. I can't remember who you are, but you're fuckin' fabulous.This is exactly what I wanted to read -- something hot and sweet. And Stiles was so freakin' clueless it was adorable.
How fricken fun was this story?!I don't know if having never seen an episode of Teen Wolf made this story all the more fun or if I missed out on something because I hadn't seen the show. Since I gave this 5 (yes homo) Stars...I can't imagine how else I coulda seen this story. Now I'm on the hunt for more Derek & Stiles fanfic!!
[One fan complained]
I wish people in TW fandom who gush over No Homo would just admit they only do so because it caters to their id. There's no other reason to go wild for it. It is astoundingly ATG. Derek and Stiles in that fic bear little-to-no resemblance to their canon counterparts. Stiles in particular is so aggressively closeted in that he'll no homo literally everything, including giving Derek a blowjob/rimjob.... No one is this fucking stupid! Stiles would not be this oblivious regarding his sexuality! Nothing about this fic makes any sense at all!
Fucking No Homo. It was a clearly an excuse for RemainNameless to write all her sexual and narrative kinks out into a single fic which would be fine if a little self-indulgent, if it didn't involve warping the characters beyond recognition to fit them.
Fanworks Inspired By No Homo
- chemm80 made a podfic of the story.
- monsterpages on Tumblr baked the Yes Homo cake mentioned in the story.
- lupusululaturusest on Tumblr made a cover.
- Gif set, Archived version by derekhaie
- Poem by liquorish
Example Art Gallery
Podfic cover art by laisserais (2014)
Art by screamingwithstiles (2014)
Moodboard by brokebackhills (2014)
Art by vulcains (2014)
- Comments by several fans on this r/sterek reddit post, October 13, 2018
- Sterek Starter Pack, April 27, 2015 Tumblr post
- The story had 1318 comments, 8076 kudos, 2946 bookmarks, and 210766 hits. Found using the works search on 3 January 2015.
- Goodreads entry for No Homo by RemainNameless, Archived version.
- friendly warning, Archived version, tumblr post by meechwoods, 9 August 2018.
- anon ask, Archived version answered by meechwoods, 9 August 2018.
- TheDragonflyLover. 26 march 2014 comment. (Accessed 4 January 2015.)
- ljummen. fic rec: no homo, posted to Tumblr 27 march 2014. (Accessed 4 January 2015.)
- "[Fic Rec] No Homo (39421 words) by RemainNameless [AO3], Feuaray 13, 2014 tumblr post". Archived from the original on 2015-07-11.
- "RemainNameless' No Homo, January 3, 2016 tumblr post". Archived from the original on 2016-07-17.
- "June 3, 2014 Tumblr post". Archived from the original on 2021-05-23.
- "Fan commenting on r/Sterek thread Let's discuss our favorite Sterek fics! October 3, 2018". Archived from the original on 2021-05-31.
- Lo-Lo's review of No Homo, Archived version
- Rosa, really's review of No Homo, Goodreads. Published Jun 8, 2014 (Accessed May 23, 2021).
- Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)'s Review, Goodreads. Published Jun 17, 2014 (Accessed May 23, 2021).
- two 15 March 2014 comments in fail_fandomanon by the same anon. This 16 April 2014 comment may or may not be the same anon making similar complaints about the fic. (Accessed 3 January 2015.)
- 15 March 2014 comment in fail_fandomanon. (Accessed 3 january 2015.)
- 16 March 2014 comment in fail_fandomanon. (Accessed 3 january 2015.)
- Anon comment on FFN September 15, 2014
- chemm80. (Podfic of) No Homo by RemainNameless, posted on AO3 2014-06-17.