Lolcat in Fandom
|Trope · Genre|
|See Also:||Animals in Fanworks, Cats|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Despite the near-ubiquitousness of LOLcat images on the Internet at large, the LOLcat fandom is not yet widely popular on its own in fanfiction and fanworks other than aforementioned image macros, as evidenced by the recurring eligibility of the LOLcat fandom for the Yuletide rare fandoms gift exchange fic challenge.
However, the appearance of LOLcats in non-image-macro fanworks of their own, and the number of fusions or crossovers with LOLcat fandom has been growing substantially in recent years. Enthusiasts have gone so far as to create Livejournal communities devoted to image macros showing pictures from popular media fandoms captioned in LOLcat. Not all posts have been able to pull off the dialect with complete success, but some have been very effective.
In April 2011, to assist fanfic writers in writing more in-character LOLcat (which they term "Native Cat") dialog, Fandom Grammar devoted a post to LOLCAT for Fanfic Writers, which covered some of the intricacies of LOLcat dialect and syntax.
Examples in Fanworks
- Trying to Communicate by Copperbadge. LOLcat meets Torchwood.
- JIM CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER? by winterover. LOLcat on the (Reboot) Enterprise.
- Happee Days by Alyse. The romance of Ceiling Cat and Basement Cat.
- untitled Inception fic by anonymous. Not just dreaming in LOLcat for a member of the Inception crew.
- "I Seez a Flutterby!" or, Rorschach Is Not a Happycat by Fuguestate. Watchmen
- Danno Can has Cheezeburger by rainbowgoddess. Hawaii 5-O
- ^ i can haz stargate? (Stargate)
- ^ i has a tardis (Doctor Who)
- ^ i haz a stopwatch (Torchwood)
- ^ lolbuffy (BtVS)
- ^ lolfirefly (Firefly/Serenity)
- ^ i has a freezeray (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog)
- ^ loltrek (Star Trek (TOS))
- ^ O HAI THERE! The Love Story Of John And Rodney In Thirteen Macros, 9 June 2007. (Accessed 1 April 2011)
- ^ Writing Tips: LOLCAT for Fanfic Writers, 1 April 2011. (Accessed 1 April 2011)