Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
|Name:||Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog|
|Creator:||Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon, Zack Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen|
|Date(s):||July 15 – July 20, 2008|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Official Site, Wikipedia article|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is a superhero musical web series in three acts co-created by Joss Whedon. It stars Neil Patrick Harris as Billy (the eponymous Dr. Horrible), Nathan Fillion as Captain Hammer (his superhero nemesis), and Felicia Day as Penny (his love interest).
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog follows aspiring supervillain Billy, AKA Dr. Horrible, attempts to join the Evil League of Evil, defeat his arrogant hero nemesis Captain Hammer and win the affections of homelessness activist Penny.
The writers and stars appeared at Comic-Con, where there were multiple showing of the film. Sing-along versions and Rocky Horror-eque performances, such as at Dragon*Con. Additionally, there have been a number of live stage performances of the story, such as Dr. Horrible Live.
Response & Criticism
Many fans were upset by Penny's death at the end of the film. Many long-time fans of Joss Whedon were reminded that Joss Is Evil. There was an influx of fix-it fics where Penny survived or was resurrected.
Feminism & the "Nice Guy"
Some fans saw Penny's characterization as an extension of Joss Whedon's perceived sexism, and thought that her fate was a classic example of the Women in Refrigerators trope. Others feel that Whedon used the trope intentionally to present Dr. Horrible as a critique of the "Nice Guy."
- All Roads Lead to Where You Are by cherryroad (summerstorm) (Billy/Penny) - At the laundromat, Billy had frozen yogurt. "You shouldn't have bothered," said Penny, nonetheless grabbing the plastic spoon he offered her. "It's no bother if you do it for someone who deserves it as much as you do," said Billy, all raw, embarrassed honesty, and Penny had to blush and hide her face.
- Because Resurrection Is Easier Than Finding A Date Through Villainmatch.com by Gnomad (Billy/Penny) - Billy decides that his perfect life isn't out of his grasp quite yet, and takes extraordinary measures to get back what he has lost.
- Echoes in a Lonely World by etothepii (Billy/Captain Hammer, empathy bond) - Dr. Horrible carries his device (it doesn’t have a name yet, but he’s been mentally referring to it as "That Empathy Thing") with him on heists for a week and a half before Captain Hammer finally shows up. Not nearly as serious as the title suggests.
- Everything You Ever.... by Katsuko (Avengers crossover) - The Avengers catch a broadcast live from Los Angeles. Tony is somewhat distracted by the toys.
- Save The World by BridgetMcKennitt (Billy/Penny) - Sometimes there's a second chance within a second chance.
- Blogging along with Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog by Holly at Feministe.
- The Politics of Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog by Sarah Z
- "What a Crazy Random Happenstance": Destiny and Free Will in 'Dr. Horrible' by Cynthea Masson
- Horrible Turn by Texas Chance Legacy Films, a fan-made prequel
- Dr. Horrible's Unofficial Sing-Along Sequel by Patrick Donahue, a fan-made sequel
Archives and Fannish Links
- Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog fanworks on AO3
- Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog fanfiction and crossovers at Fanfiction.net
- Dr. Horrible at TV Tropes
- Dr. Horrible at Wikia
- Official Fan Site
- drhorribledress (costuming)
- horrible_awards (fan awards)
- horrible_fic (fanfiction)
- ihasafreezeray (macros)
- 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog': An Oral History by Adam B. Vary