|Abbreviation(s):||StM (Serenity the Movie, to distinguish it from the episode of the same name, or the eponymous spaceship), BDM (Big Damn Movie)|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Parentpage: Firefly|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Serenity is the 2006 Joss Whedon film that brings back the characters and universe of his short-lived television series Firefly. Fans sometimes speak of "Firefly/Serenity" to refer to the fandom including both the original series and the movie.
Not all Firefly fans took to the movie, criticising elements such as the unbelievable plot, the lack of character depth, the increase in action (River the Vampire Slayer), the character deaths, and the altered tonal palette. After the initial preview screenings, some fans of the series set out to organize a worldwide boycott and organised a letter-writing campaign to urge Universal to re-edit the film so that Wash survived. Overall opinions varied, possibly because expectations among fans were so high, and even fans who enjoyed the film often had some problems with the plot or tone.
Joss Whedon, as a Firefly fan, you killed the verse for me with Serenity. Serenity was a good sci-fi movie, albeit with excess characters like Jayne, Kaylee, and Inara, but it sucked as a Firefly movie." 
If you want a review with spoilers, look at kate_nepveu (again), who doesn't like some of the inconsistencies; coalescent (again) who comments on one particular plot twist; marykaykare, who comments on and deeply disliked the other similar plot twist; communicator (again) who likes the final space battle (I don't think it's a spoiler to reveal that there is a final space battle); bohemiancoast, who thinks it's too derivative, and not just of the TV series; theferrett, who takes it as it comes; communicator (again again) pondering its middle-class roots; kharin, who was pleasantly surprised; stellanova, who loved it but has some grounds for agreement with marykaykare; or annafdd, who just didn't like it at all.
- Espresso Addict. A brief Serenity grump [and comments] (accessed 1 September 2012)
- macha. Tea at the Ford: palette, palate, and frame (accessed 1 September 2012)
- Klytaimnestra. Tea at the Ford: should Joss stick to TV? Slate thinks so, and I'm inclined to agree (accessed 1 September 2012)
- My Thoughts on Serenity by bradhicks, Oct. 20th, 2005. Accessed 25 June 2018.
- Vicious Wishes' Fandom Corner -- 12 Festivus Fannish Grievances (And so I'm a day late, but it's Festivus!), Archived version (December 2006)
- Serenity a livejournal post by nwhyte, Dec. 15th, 2005. Accessed 25th June 2018