Last Outpost Of All That Is
|Title:||Last Outpost Of All That Is|
|Date(s):||February 27, 2008|
|Length:||61,700 words plus 3,440 word coda -|
6:20:20 hrs (podfic - includes coda)
|Genre:||slash, Wincest, apocafic|
|External Links:||main story at the author's website;|
fic announcement post (with link to Author's Notes) at LiveJournal;
coda Not for Samson in the Temple by maygra on LiveJournal
ebook versions of the main story at Ebook Library
podfic of main story and coda at Audiofic Archive
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
The story was inspired by Alan Weisman's book The World Without Us and the later A&E TV documentary Life After Humans which showcased what would happen to the Earth if all the humans disappeared at once.
- "The world begins with the interruption of a sleep. Which is why wakefulness is the only proof of existence. And why the world is fragmented and cannot achieve fullness. And why it constantly seeks to reconstruct fullness. In vain, because the discontinuous will never pass over into the continuous. Mathematics tells us that, last outpost of all that is." ~ Roberto Calasso, Ka
"The Last Outpost rips me to shreds emotionally. I DON'T KNOW WHY. JUST—JUST...AGH MY HEART."
"'Over the years, the cities began to crumble. But Sam and Dean didn't. Final tally: 6.6 billion, minus two.
"This is a fantastic story. It hits one of my favorite kinks, re the two of them all alone with no one else to rely on but each other - and the need they have for each other, wow. I absolutely loved that the apocalypse wasn't the point; it was the impact it had on SamnDean, and the aftermath on their emotional lives, which I think makes this story spectacular, because ...y ou gave them a world where they have to repurpose, to redefine, to be something new for themselves and to each other. In the emptiness, they are able to find each other. This is a gorgeous, emotionally laid-bare story."
"Probably widely considered (one of) the best Wincest fic ever. Post-apocalyptic, and amazing."
"oh, man. wow. So powerful and brilliantly done. This story made me feel deeply, painfully sad. The whole world empty, and nothing but the two of them for each other; a kind of sterile Eden, with an silent end point somewhere in the distance. I really wanted the shadow going past the windows, the howling they sometimes thought they heard, to be a reason. Of course, because it isn't, the result is to make me share that wish along with Sam and Dean, viscerally. I love the two of them together and struggling, so very much -- and Dean's my 'Hell doesn't have you in it is true and perfect.'"
"In the middle of the bedding department in Macy's." 
"This is why our fandom is made of absolute win...how to shatter the hearts of readers, grasp a character’s essence with seven words: 'Hell wouldn’t let me keep you, Sam' Ladies and gentlemen: Dean Winchester and his abiding love for his Sammy."
"so i’m reading the last outpost of all that is for the first time ever (why has it taken me this long ugh SO GOOD). my sister just opened the door and i told her that i’m reading an amazing fic while simultaneously watching the pilot and i’m on the verge of a mental breakdown, seriously. and she said “i’m going to let you marinate in your feelings” and left. probably for the best because i am feeling ALL THE FEELINGS."
"who are you that you could do this and not be incapacitated by unbelievable amounts of pain forever how? the only explanation is magic."
"This is a superb piece of writing. It is the pinnacle of Wincest fan-fiction, and nearly anyone who is interested in Wincest and its fan-fiction has read it or heard of it. If you haven't read it, you really should. It might break your heart at times, but it is truly a fantastic and satisfying and believable read. I go back to it again and again, sometimes reading it once every few months. It's like a favorite book."
Additional Art Gallery
Most of the art graphics posted on Tumblr contain key phrases from the story that moved the readers.
Tumblr graphic by blacksmoon. Text reads "Hell wouldn't let me keep you, Sam."
animated Tumblr graphic used by mcgregors. On the page the text accompanying the graphic reads "I love you so much. Always have."
Tumblr photo-montage by ascalons. Text reads: "Hell for you might be getting stuck with me. But my Hell doesn't have you in it."
Tumblr graphic by wyndamwesley. Text reads "Shouting one syllable."
animated Tumblr graphic by used ohbrotherofmine. On the page the text accompanying the graphic reads "'Hey,' Dean said. 'Kind of always been that way, right? You and me. It's okay as long as we're...you and me.' Sam nodded. Nothing was actually okay, but Dean was there like always, and that was enough."
podfic cover by Cybel Harper
- Tumblr post by ocd-reality, date unknown. (Accessed 4 Feb 2012)
- Tumblr post by marshalleriksens, date unknown. (Accessed 4 Feb 2012)
- comment at fic announcement post by destina, 28 Feb 2008. (Accessed 4 Feb 2012)
- Wincest Recs post on Tumblr by proudlyfreckled, 2 Feb 2012. (Accessed 4 Feb 2012)
- comment at fic announcement post by astolat, 29 Feb 2008. (Accessed 4 Feb 2012)
- http://india-russia's Title of india-russia's tumblr post] dated September 2011. Some tumblr posts are like twitter consisting only of a subject).
- Tumblr post by myspecialhell, date unknown. (Accessed 4 Feb 2012)
- Le Great Fic Rec List (in Sarah's most humble opinion) post on Tumblr by wheretheeveningsplitsinhalf, date unknown. (Accessed 4 Feb 2012)
- so i’m reading the last outpost of all that is post on Tumblr by herecome-thedrums, Feb 2012.
- tumblr tags used in a recommendation post by saltlined dated December 2011.
- Goodreads entry on 'Last Outpost Of All That Is', Archived version