|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Fusion Dance, Gem Fusion, Potara Earrings|
|See Also:||Steven Universe, Dragon Ball|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fusion is a trope in which two or more individual characters are combined into one new character. A fusion character inherits some physical and personality traits from its components, but is also a character in their own right.
Not to be confused with fusion crossovers.
Fandoms with Canonical Fusions
- Dragon Ball: characters in this series can fuse with each other by performing a "fusion dance", or by using Potara Earrings.
- Star Trek: Voyager: the character of Tuvix is an accidental fusion of Tuvok and Neelix. While he only exists for one episode, he and his "death" have been the subject of debate in the Star Trek fandom for decades.
- Steven Universe: the Gem characters in this series routinely fuse together. Fusions are physical embodiments of relationships, and can represent a wide variety of relationship dynamics, be they platonic, romantic, familiar, etc.
In Other Fandoms
The fusion trope appears to have gained traction in fandom after the airing of Steven Universe, where fusions like Garnet showed the potential of the trope for romance. Many of the fics which feature fusion as a trope are, confusingly, themselves fusions (in the crossover sense) with Steven Universe.
- Amity + Luz fusion during GROM dance! by the-artistic-chemist (The Owl House)
- eldritch goddess of friendship here to tell you to appreciate your friends! by mylittlefusions (MLP
- Gem Fusion - Moceit by sifferko (Sanders Sides)
- Rewatching Steven Universe and I decided to draw a Voltron gem AU by spacenerdboi (VLD)
- Some more ryan and Shane gems by gober-mouch (BuzzFeed Unsolved)
- Sterek Gems Final Fusion by  (Teen Wolf)
- they're making awkward faces bc thEY FUSED FOR THE FIRST TIME by JohannaTheMad (VLD)
- victuuri’s gem fusion again by girlwiththewhiterabbit (Yuri on Ice)